Top Ten hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

webfact

56 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i hear what your saying i live in pattaya i cant say the same maybe im just to honest i cant listen to all the BS with farang people men and women and get in problems all the time, i long for the day my sex drive subsides i meet a descent women and move away from these people. the best friends i have here are Thai girlfriends. i have a great girl that i would settle with but i still have a roving eye.

Dont worry. One day your interest in sex will diminish and then you can get married and retire to Ubon!

Edited by The manic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ban Sao 420 said:

I have a 20 year old girlfriend and I am currently 61. And she definitely loves me and I love her and it's the best relationship I've ever had in my life. I guess she's one in a million.

So there's at least 70 more just like her in Thailand.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

It's called "krieng jai" (not easily translated into English). To me it is everything that is wrong with Thailand, and the cause of just about all of it. It is the ultimate "ostrich" approach to life, and the sad part is that it can never be changed, even though it is holding the country back -- everyone who attains any semblance of power over another just loves it. If anyone plans on writing a 10-step guide to Thailand for the newbie, then "krieng jai" needs to be properly explained and understood, for it governs every single aspect of life here.

Spot on.

Tho' I believe it is three concepts that entraps them (ostrich like) in their Ruritanian existence.

1.Sakdina

2.Face

3.Keng Jai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dunroaming said:

But most normal people don't live in Thailand where the rules are very different.  I say enjoy it while it lasts.  At 61 you are entitled to indulge yourself in the odd fantasy or two.

If he had a fantasy with two girls of twenty, that would give an accumulative age of forty, making it closer to his sixty-one years. But three girls - they'd be the same accumulative age - I'd say go for it!

(No disrespect to the poster, just a little humour.)

On ‎2‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:16 AM, Thaiwrath said:

11. Beware of some expats, especially the ones who try to be your best friend, despite having just met you.

Also, don't always believe the 'ex S.A.S., Navy Seal, Special forces' bullshit, as most who have done it, will 

never ever mention it.  

Correct.

Good article. He didn't mention my pet hate. Entering a persons house, doctors clinic, or whatever, and having to step over or around a mountain of shoes. I am sure some people are brain dead as they can't even read signs. Much the same when I go to a local 7 eleven you have to navigate through a sea of motor bikes parked every where, including the door way.

images.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Good article. He didn't mention my pet hate. Entering a persons house, doctors clinic, or whatever, and having to step over or around a mountain of shoes. I am sure some people are brain dead as they can't even read signs. Much the same when I go to a local 7 eleven you have to navigate through a sea of motor bikes parked every where, including the door way.

images.jpg

What gets me is when they leave the front rank of mbike parking spaces completely clear because they dont want to be blocked in by the 2nd rank, and when the 2nd rank is full u cant get at the 1st rank to park!!!

Edited by SunsetT

Just now, SunsetT said:

can u try to explain 1 and 3 please.

Sure-Sakdina was/is a strictly codified heirarchical system introduced 400 years ago and (at the time)based on land ownership and ,in a way,was not very different from..say..the late Roman Empire which also had immensely constrictive and codified ranks.Presumably tho' it probably comes more from Mongol or possibly Turkish influence where possession of land indicated military service.

If you respond to this post then I will go on to talk about "kreng jai."

22 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Me too , catman20 , I have a good aussie mate way up here in woop -woop and when we meet in Lotus we pretend to avoid each other , me behind the fresh fish counter and Bruce behind Dairy Queen, the locals know us and it gets a few larfs from them.   Heard all the BS and don't need anymore.

I have to wonder about some of the farangs I pass in areas of LOS with few farangs, as they studiously avoid acknowledging my existence.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have to wonder about some of the farangs I pass in areas of LOS with few farangs, as they studiously avoid acknowledging my existence.

Funny, I live in an area of few farang and when I go to Bangkok and walk up to chat with farang I see on the street often my existence is not acknowledged.  I'm glad to hear you have the same problem so it is obviously not anything to do with me

On 02/02/2018 at 5:20 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Good, well-written article that should be given to all who come here for a long stay!

However,

"The 20-something bar girl with the short skirt and fetching smile probably doesn’t love you."

is just plain wrong. They have told me on numerous occasions that they love me and I believe them.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I can agree with that,we must both be the most handsome,'lovable' pair around, I lost the 'Young' bit years ago,well, I didn't, they just forget to say it that way now, 'handsome young man' ,don't know why?

On 2/2/2018 at 4:35 PM, jvs said:

No i can not read Thai,i just arrived yesterday.Is there still hope for me?You do not know anything about me yet you assume a lot.My time to assume you are renting?

AFAIK all I assumed is you can read Thai, not a lot of assumption. Yes, your assumption is correct - I don't "own" property in Thailand. To save you from making any further assumptions - no, I am not skint, and can easily afford to buy a house or condo. I choose not to, renting gives me flexibility. And it's peanuts compared to rents elsewhere. Is there still hope for you? Fuctifino.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:51 PM, alex8912 said:

No and thanks for posting. I've been here every late fall and winter for 17 years and many other trips before that as well.  Never met anyone who ever claimed this and I socialize a good amount. I think there are a lot of what I call TVF urban myths!  

But hey, I actually get taxis that use a meter all the time in BKK so maybe I'm just special lol. 

Getting to take the small bus to the "special" school really changed your life I am sure.  

I am absolutely amazed when I go to the Silom MRT station and get in line to buy a button. They have a snaking pattern in tape on the floor and the Thais stick to it and don't jump the line. In what other country would this happen? I dropped a coin while in line and a woman bent down to retrieve it for me.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2018 at 6:16 AM, Thaiwrath said:

11. Beware of some expats, especially the ones who try to be your best friend, despite having just met you.

Also, don't always believe the 'ex S.A.S., Navy Seal, Special forces' bullshit, as most who have done it, will 

never ever mention it.  

Funny you should mention that, I've met ex-SAS & Mi5 & ones that owned a bar etc & the rest. Whats with this alternative persona.?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

Funny you should mention that, I've met ex-SAS & Mi5 & ones that owned a bar etc & the rest. Whats with this alternative persona.?

I knew someone who worked at MI6 for a few years. These types of people often work in security when they leave and there are plenty of them around.

They don't go around telling everyone, not everyone likes spies, especially their old enemies and believe me there's plenty of their 'enemies' out there too.

Edited by ukrules

On 02/02/2018 at 12:27 AM, bluesofa said:

Didn't the Thai army surrender to the Japanese only after a day or so during WW2?

But that's not colonisation...despite the fact they had Thai/Japanese banknotes during the war.

I'm happy to stand (well, sit) corrected if I'm way out on that one.

Indeed they did .. Thailand wavered and quivered about whose mast to nail their colours to in WW2 .. Dec 08/1941 Thailand swiftly acquiesced to the Japanese demand they " align " with the Empire after the Japanese attacked following Thailand's lack of response to the Empires 2 hour deadline issued the 07/12/1941.. And the Japanese stayed for the rest of the war so whilst they may view it as not being colonized they were certainly occupied though with increasing hostility from some Thai resistance groups .. not to mention the fact towards the end of WW2 they were fearing Victor's retribution from the allies so were quite willing to assist them in turfing the J Empire out and handing back spoils of war given over by the Japanese for their dedication/acquiescence ..

On 2/2/2018 at 5:20 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Good, well-written article that should be given to all who come here for a long stay!

However,

"The 20-something bar girl with the short skirt and fetching smile probably doesn’t love you."

is just plain wrong. They have told me on numerous occasions that they love me and I believe them.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

You must be very hansum man!

On 3.2.2018 at 12:54 AM, Odysseus123 said:

Spot on.

Tho' I believe it is three concepts that entraps them (ostrich like) in their Ruritanian existence.

1.Sakdina

2.Face

3.Keng Jai.

3. Kheng jai = Hard Hearth (Hearth of stone).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:20 AM, ukrules said:

Rubbish, Thai people lose their temper, shout and scream and do anything they can to try and get their own way and that's just one example I saw in the Banana IT computer shop in Market Village, Hua Hin.

I remember seeing on TV, a Thai male having a complaint about a faulty toilet he had bought.

He didn't get satisfaction by complaining so he smashed the toilet with a sledge hammer, in public. That got the store's attention and he got his new toilet.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:14 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

This is a candidate for Post Of the Year. Absolutely correct in every detail and perfectly presented.

Completely agree. I rarely agree entirely with what I read on this forum, and often vehemently appose it, as many will know!

This post from Spidermike is absolutely spot on.

• Like 1