Top Ten hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

webfact

One truth revealed n this thread is that some expats can live for decades in Thailand and still have no idea about Thai life and society.

There is a tendency for these people to live in a bubble. Intellectually incapable of working out either language, culture or what is happening in the media. They seldom meet Thai people and belittle those they do. They settle into a routine of gossip and fake or distorted news, and hide their ignorance with a hefty dose of cynicism. Every piece of negative news, disaster corruption is met with the expression "TIT" or some variation on that theme in the hope that it will be mistaken for a rational argument, and of course it is by many other expats, as the whole group forms a self-reinforcing cycle.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, transam said:

Well I live in my bubble cos I have been here a long time and have learned a lot..

But I do not belittle Thai folk, it is their country and the way they want to live their life so is no business of mine...:stoner:

I'm so glad to hear that.

And you consider you are representative of the thousands of expats in Thailand or are you just saying as in Life of Brian "I'm not"?

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

I'm so glad to hear that.

And you consider you are representative of the thousands of expats in Thailand or are you just saying as in Life of Brian "I'm not"?

I don't know how other expats live their life, l don't know what they are thinking or what goes on behind closed doors. But I have sussed a few out over the years..:stoner:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

I don't know how other expats live their life, l don't know what they are thinking or what goes on behind closed doors. But I have sussed a few out over the years..:stoner:

Sorry TA...not playing pigeon chess with you. If you don't understand my post, ask a friend

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

One truth revealed n this thread is that some expats can live for decades in Thailand and still have no idea about Thai life and society.

There is a tendency for these people to live in a bubble. Intellectually incapable of working out either language, culture or what is happening in the media. They seldom meet Thai people and belittle those they do. They settle into a routine of gossip and fake or distorted news, and hide their ignorance with a hefty dose of cynicism. Every piece of negative news, disaster corruption is met with the expression "TIT" or some variation on that theme in the hope that it will be mistaken for a rational argument, and of course it is by many other expats, as the whole group forms a self-reinforcing cycle.

LOL, TiT conveys a large amount of meaning in 3 letters that some of us understand. However, obviously some haven't been in LOS long enough to understand what that meaning is. I'd say that those people don't even know who coined the saying, or the significance of the guy.

:cheesy:

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL, TiT conveys a large amount of meaning in 3 letters that some of us understand. However, obviously some haven't been in LOS long enough to understand what that meaning is. I'd say that those people don't even know who coined the saying, or the significance of the guy.

:cheesy:

Firstly TIT has no meaning. It is used by those who don't understand as a substitute for an intelligent comment. It is is an opportunity for the unknowing to nod knowingly.

Secondly length of time in a place is no yardstick for how much you understand it....just look at the comments by some veteran expats on Thailand.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Airbagwill said:

Firstly TIT has no meaning. It is used by those who don't understand as a substitute for an intelligent comment. It is is an opportunity for the unknowing to nod knowingly.

Secondly length of time in a place is no yardstick for how much you understand it....just look at the comments by some veteran expats on Thailand.

That's like saying a wai is only a greeting, as some like to say on TVF.

On 2/2/2018 at 7:17 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

Seems, the writer has never seen two Thais fighting... This is as much a half-truth as: "Thais always smile", "Thais are 'jai-dee' ", or "there is no prostitution in Thailand". Nice-sounding,  empty phrases that have nothing to do with reality.

Give the author a break. He's been here six years already! He knows it ALL.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2018 at 7:21 AM, Jeremy50 said:

Colonisation has never 'tainted' Thailand. Notwithstanding that Chantaburi province was 'colonised' by the French from 1900 to 1910.  The British and the French, having been enemies for hundreds of years, needed the Thailand 'buffer zone' between their respective empires. Otherwise Thailand would have been reaping the same benefits of having been colonised as other countries in the region. And benefits there undeniably were. Yes, yes, I know about all the drawbacks, so no need to remind me.

Japan seemed to be here for a few years. And, heck, China is already running the place like an extra province.

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2018 at 8:43 AM, bluesofa said:

IIRC when Thailand declared war on the allies, the Thai ambassador to the US was charged with delivering it the the US government, but the ambassador refused to do it point blank.

So I think Thailand was never officially at war with the allies?

I think Thailand was at war with the UK and France. But not with the US--or at least the US chose to ignore it.  After the war, the UK and France wanted to dismember Thailand. The US stopped them. Good thing. I guess.

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Japan seemed to be here for a few years. And, heck, China is already running the place like an extra province.

Japan occupied Thailand but it wasn't a colony.

The Chinese have been in positions of power for generations. A recent PM had a Chinese great grandfather.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I think Thailand was at war with the UK and France. But not with the US--or at least the US chose to ignore it.  After the war, the UK and France wanted to dismember Thailand. The US stopped them. Good thing. I guess.

But not with the US--or at least the US chose to ignore it. 

Would that be why the US was bombing Thailand?

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

But not with the US--or at least the US chose to ignore it. 

Would that be why the US was bombing Thailand?

Well, the US bombed the Netherlands during World War II and was not at war with the Dutch. Might have had something to do with who was occupying who at the time. Yes, after the war, the US chose to ignore Thailand's role as an enemy power, while the UK demanded reparations. The UK and France wanted to punish Thailand. Some people are just so boring.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:20 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Good, well-written article that should be given to all who come here for a long stay!

Particularly the last paragraph...

"A few days on Thai Visa would make you think that all expats ever do is whinge and complain about life in the Land of Smiles. It’s a bad example of expat life and most of us find our way through these challenges with a bit of patience, grace, a good book or a smartphone with a full charge. We are, after all, guests in the Kingdom of Thailand and it’s up to us to find away around THEIR systems, as best we can".

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 12:59 PM, Just Weird said:

Particularly the last paragraph...

"A few days on Thai Visa would make you think that all expats ever do is whinge and complain about life in the Land of Smiles. It’s a bad example of expat life and most of us find our way through these challenges with a bit of patience, grace, a good book or a smartphone with a full charge. We are, after all, guests in the Kingdom of Thailand and it’s up to us to find away around THEIR systems, as best we can".

My bubble works great.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Even though Thailand declared War on the UK and the US the Thai ambassador to the U S at the time refused to hand over the declaration 25/01/42 .. That's what you might call " hedging you're bets ' .. 

On 2/18/2018 at 1:10 PM, transam said:

My bubble works great.....

So long as your visa is OK. I work here for nearly 20 years I've been part of the Thai economy....when my job finishes, I have 7 days to get out........and I have to pay for that or get out straight away.

One of the truths missed by many expats is how tenuous their stay here is.

Get sick, fall foul of the law, get the wrong side of immigration or a reAssessment by Thailand of its visas and you could be out.....no time to sell up or anything...just get out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

So long as your visa is OK. I work here for nearly 20 years I've been part of the Thai economy....when my job finishes, I have 7 days to get out........and I have to pay for that or get out straight away.

One of the truths missed by many expats is how tenuous their stay here is.

Get sick, fall foul of the law, get the wrong side of immigration or a reAssessment by Thailand of its visas and you could be out.....no time to sell up or anything...just get out.

Tenuous stay, you are right.

On 01/02/2018 at 11:20 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

Good, well-written article that should be given to all who come here for a long stay!

However,

"The 20-something bar girl with the short skirt and fetching smile probably doesn’t love you."

is just plain wrong. They have told me on numerous occasions that they love me and I believe them.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I always tell them with my wi(l)dest smile "PROVE IT!"

In the 19 years i live here I have *never* had any convincing proof. 

Bugger ???

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Malaya has pavements and speak English because they were colonised. Seems a reasonable trade off to me :smile:.

THAI roads are based on American design (starting with V/N war) and they drive on the left thanks to the Japanese. They are badly designed and constructed thanks to good old graft, nepotism corruption and ineptness.

The new roads and railways will be Chinese. It is the first time major rail construction has gone to an external power. Both France and Britain offered similar services 100 years ago for the same reasons.

The Karl canal was first mooted about 400 years ago...... Virtually everyone has offered to build that.

Compared to the places I've lived top ten.

1. Visas;

Brazil-very difficult

Costa Rica- difficult

US- EZ unless you weren't born there

Thailand-Retirement EZ

2.Corruption;

Brazil ***********

CR**************

US*****

TH*********

3.Paperwork;

BR******************************************************************

CR*******************************************

US********

TH**********************

4.Business;

BR****************************************************************

CR************************************************

US**********************************

TH*************

5.Two-tier pricing

BR***

CR*****************

US***

TH*******************************

6.Bar Girls don't love you

BR-Money aint for nothing, chicks for free

CR-Don't love you and cost 3X as much

US-Wives and GFs cost 10X as much

TH-don't love you but they smile and get drunk

7.Not the way I did it last time;

BR****************************************

CR****************************************

US***********

TH****************************************

8.Don't lose your cool

BR_Wake up dead/dismembered

CR- Duck/Machete

US- S&W 45

TH- 15 Stomps to the head

9. Deadly roads

BR- TH on meth

CR- Macho Latino on Guaro 151

US- Life in the fast lane

TH- No education, no situational awareness, tourist van drivers

10.Queues

BR- average 4 hours

CR- average 5 hours

US- average 10 minutes

TH- Still waiting

All in all Thailand isn't that bad if one just plans ahead and you come off your wallet to have an official get your docs from the bottom to the top of the stack.

Edited by JAZZDOG
  • Like 1