Phuket Immigration Chief calls on expats to report ‘wrongful requests for fees’

snoop1130

Phuket Immigration Chief calls on expats to report ‘wrongful requests for fees’

Shela Riva

1517569198_1-org.jpg

The Chief of the Phuket Immigration Office has called for expats to report officers who wrongly ask for fees. Photo: Shela Riva

PHUKET:-- The Chief of the Phuket Immigration Office has urged foreigners to read up on immigration fees for services, and report any unlawful document fee requests to an immigration supervisor, after a reader reported being asked by a clerk to pay B300 to obtain a certificate of residence.

“I had the ‘pleasure’ today to visit immigration for a certificate of residence which I needed to transfer a car into my name,” said the reader who preferred not to be named.

“Can anybody explain why the young female clerk of 20 asked me for B300 when the service is FREE? I really think this needs to be investigated,” he said.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-chief-calls-on-expats-to-report-wrongful-requests-for-fees-65831.php#hbz9J0LgPcd6vA12.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-2-2

Is there a list of these fees available anywhere (Website or Immy office). I have twice been asked for a fee at my local office (Hua Hin) for Proof of Residence letter/certificate, 1 for purchase of a scooter and another to open a bank account.

Just realised that the original article stated that there is no such fee for these items......... the service is FREE. There won't be any list of fees anywhere.

Edited by robcar
Additional info added

Maybe it's time some of the CCTV camera's were pointed at the ones behind the counter as well as the ones on the other side.
It's been 400 bht in Jomtien immigration for years, I have to make a change of address for my motor and need a cert of residence but now will have to pay an extra 2000bht for a TM 30 form !! That is the latest scam here, illegal I reckon, it's about time Bangkok reigned in these fifedoms .

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, TeaMonkey said:

That’s a bargain. It’s B500 in Hua Hin.

500? Its an effin steal. I got nailed for 1,000 a hit at Jomtien. Once for bike green book and another 1,000 for my license. Its free? Son of a bitch!

They need to print the fees for everything, but probably wont as that will stop the rort.

I paid for 2 just last week. 300 baht each.
I know its free but i don't want to rock the boat and i certainly wouldn't report it in fear of pissing off immigration where i renew my visa and report to the very same people every 90 days.

Its not like i need them regularly anyway.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

He urged foriegners to check - I think we already know - this has to be a sick joke

So when he goes down & check the computers about the daily issue of COR'S what will he think when his staff has actually done their job according to the law

1 hour ago, sebastion said:

I paid for 2 just last week. 300 baht each.
I know its free but i don't want to rock the boat and i certainly wouldn't report it in fear of pissing off immigration where i renew my visa and report to the very same people every 90 days.

Its not like i need them regularly anyway.

Sebastion, you need to grow a pair :laugh:.

I always point out it's free, never had a problem when doing 90 days or renewing after :wink:.

Sebastion, you need to grow a pair [emoji23].

I always point out it's free, never had a problem when doing 90 days or renewing after :wink:.
Its 10 usd each. I dont care as i needed a certificate just 3 times over the course of 12 years.
Last thing im going to do is report it to the chief.
I don't have an enemy here and i don't intend on making any for the sake of 20 dollars.

You can get off your high horse now.

12 hours ago, ferguston said:

I take my Thai partner with me to Jomtien who explains to the "officer" that it is free. They quickly stop asking for a fee because they do not want to lose face in front of another Thai.

My Thai adult son the same, he politely asks them to explain what they are doing, and to show the regulations and fee list etc.,  they quickly realize that they are not talking to an unaware farmer. 

Worst case was when the whole family moved from Chonburi city to the North, son had to get a document to take to the North to re-register all the family names into the new blue Tabien Bann book. (Blue because the whole family are Thai and I have PR status.)

Initital rude young female officer said 10,000Baht fee plus it's totally impossible to move the farang name but her uncle could arrange something for perhaps 100,000Baht. 

My son always does his homework about these things and challenged the young officer on all points, then said 'just a moment my lawyer is on his way here now', and also said 'who is the OIC, I want to talk to who is in charge'. Young errant officer quickly grabbed her bag and disappeared.

Other staff then quickly and politely processed everything and gave my son the finished documents and 2 officers gave my son their names and mobile numbers and said 'any problems please call us'.

Son asked 'what is the fee? Response 'no fee'

Son also asked for the name of the errant young officer who had disappeared. Helpful staff quickly and readily gave my son her name and rank etc., and apologized for her behavior and attitude. Turned out of course her 'uncle' is a senior. And another 'uncle' is the chief of the local land office.

My son did report the matter and received an official letter of apology, he replied and asked 'why is there not a large sign in that office indicating fees and with a number to call if there is a problem. Within 2 days the exact large sign did appear, the OIC sent my son a smartphone picture. 

I try to speak whit the immigration supervisor 3 times about the fee fore certificate of residence but they are in a meeting ore out off the Office every time. Last time a ask fore a recipe and the Immigration Officer ask me if a want my Passport back or not.So what can we do ? You pay the 300 Bath to this Corrupt Officer some make this certificate of residence.

13 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Never had a problem in Phuket as long as you have all the documents and are prepared. In fact, given some of the fools that turn up, I am amazed the officers remain so patient. 

Agree with that, worst I've seen was 25 years ago in the old office at Pattaya city hall where Thai folks go get get their names moved on Tabiien Baan sheets etc. I was there with my family.

Old UK guy (dressed in short running shorts with his equipment hanging out the side of the shorts in the mesh inner underwear and a big oversized singlet with his nipples all exposed etc., was demanding that he be issued a Thai passport on the spot.He was walking around kicking the walls and furniture and being extremely rude to the staff and other Thai customers. His Thai gf was dressed the same and same behavior.

Several of the staff who spoke English tried to explain to him that they could not issue him a Thai passport because he didn't qualify and that office does not issue passports, they have no passports, it's a different office.

The farang just continued his tirade until the large office had cleared, the Thai customers had fled.

Several police officers then turned up, put both of them in handcuffs and wrapped rags around their faces to gag them and unceremoniously dragged them out to a police pick up truck. 

Edited by scorecard

14 hours ago, robcar said:

Is there a list of these fees available anywhere (Website or Immy office). I have twice been asked for a fee at my local office (Hua Hin) for Proof of Residence letter/certificate, 1 for purchase of a scooter and another to open a bank account.

Just realised that the original article stated that there is no such fee for these items......... the service is FREE. There won't be any list of fees anywhere.

I have no idea as this article is about PHUKET.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh- here we go again.

Why do people insist on posting about other areas of Thailand on the Phuket specific ones. There is a completely separate forum for general visa, residency and work permits.

I do not feel the need to comment on a Hua Hin, Pattaya, Bangkok or Nakkon Nowhere thread with my experiences of Phuket- why do these people need to chip in with completely irrelevant comments? Most of the above have absolutely no relevance to the original post.

I would point out I have not had my morning coffee yet.  :stoner:

Edited by Psimbo

15 hours ago, ferguston said:

I take my Thai partner with me to Jomtien who explains to the "officer" that it is free. They quickly stop asking for a fee because they do not want to lose face in front of another Thai.

Truly the best more pragmatic answer. Anything else just stirs too much trouble I feel.

Report that in person I suppose ? You may as well shoot or deport yourself, for the harrassment levels will be intolerable. Why not avail an email address to file complaints ?

Phuket immigration insists that 90 day visits are done in person we were told several times, whereas the Suan Plu head offie website says that anyone can do so on the holder's behalf. How does immigration imagine personal shows at immigration vs filing online 90 day reporting? Or will they sabotage the reporting system ?

19 hours ago, trigpoint said:

It's been 400 bht in Jomtien immigration for years, I have to make a change of address for my motor and need a cert of residence but now will have to pay an extra 2000bht for a TM 30 form !! That is the latest scam here, illegal I reckon, it's about time Bangkok reigned in these fifedoms .

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Wasn't the fine for TM30 for the home owner?