Thai environmentalist warns of grim future if cap is not put on foreign tourists

rooster59

Thai environmentalist warns of grim future if cap is not put on foreign tourists

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GQBBjPLTQtoGmrWlx2.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

A leading Thai environmentalist believes that a cap should be put on foreign visitors to save some of Thailand's most idyllic tourist sights from inevitable destruction.

Marine environmentalist Thon Thamrongnawasawat was commenting on his own Facebook page this week after visitors to the Pangnga Bay national park nearly reached 9,000 people for a single day.

Of this figure 98.7% were foreigners. 

Thon said that he has been warning about excessive tourism for years and believes the signs are all there that the very reason tourists come could be destroyed by the visitors, both Thai and foreigners.

He reiterated that he was not blaming anyone - it was just a fact that too many people were coming and the understaffed and ill equipped park staff could not cope.

Billions being earned in tourist revenue by tourist spending and park fees was not being put back into the parks themselves in improved infrastructure.

But most controversially he has suggested a cap of 6 million visitors to the Pangnga Bay National Park per year. This would mean admitting an average of less than 3,000 per day. 

"This problem has been building and building for years," he said. "If something is not done soon the damage could be irreparable".

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-03

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think unless things dramatically change, there will be a natural cap on tourism.

The amount of tourists getting killed or injured seems to be on the rise, especially Chinese.

Unless the government starts to address road safety, marine safety and crime, not to mention the ever inflated baht, the people will stop coming.

There will always be tourists but the numbers will dwindle...

Just my opinion, not fact :)

40 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think unless things dramatically change, there will be a natural cap on tourism.

The amount of tourists getting killed or injured seems to be on the rise, especially Chinese.

Unless the government starts to address road safety, marine safety and crime, not to mention the ever inflated baht, the people will stop coming.

I tend to agree with the post above, but I would add a point or two...

In addition to the crime and safety aspect, there simply comes a time where saturation is achieved. I truly love some of the temples in Thailand, but I will not visit them if there are too many people or if I have to wait too long. Further, If I fly into Thailand and end up waiting for several hours to get through immigration, then I am not going to do it anymore. If I go to a popular beach and I need to really search for a good spot because there are too many people, I'll either go to another beach or give it a miss. Etc. Etc. Etc.

My point is that, to me at least, there is a time where things are "full" and Thailand is approaching that point. And, once you reach that point, things then begin to go downhill rapidly; I hope Thailand has the wisdom to not let it get that far.

I think that if the tourists were aware of exactly what their day trip would be like to begin with they would avoid it.

I see no great pleasure in being jammed into an overcrowded  boat being ferried to an overcrowded beach to stand there with 1000 other people then shovelled back on the crowded boat as fast as possible............for what

It's exactly the same thing in pattaya only they are ferried around in a tour bus to some hyped up venue like the floating market which I personally find one of the most boring places in Thailand  

"June 22 /2017, thai visa, , 

The DNP has aimed to have national parks across the country generate more revenue from tourism in order to allocate the money for the restoration and development of natural attractions, and to take care of national park personnel, whereas the budget provided from the government alone was not sufficient."

Khun Thon a small voice in a cash cow problem, that requires serious attention , the parks bosses need to go on fact finding tour to cradle mountain and see how they run their park there, yosemeti is another , the information is out there,

the big bananas just got to have the will,

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Have you seen all the CCTV footage of Chinese roads and factory deaths?

Safety most definitely is not even an afterthought for most of them. Just look at how many Chinese subs dive, snorkel or jump in the ocean when they have no idea how to swim. 

I don’t think safety concerns will be a factor in any decision to travel for them. 

Different nationalities have different ideas of what a holiday is.

Each one supplies what they think is good based on what they would enjoy themselves. Very rarely do they ask the tourist what 'they' want.

One couple I know here had a 'honeymoon' that consisted of flying to the EU then spending 5 days in a two bus convoy with dozens of other covering 6 countries in the 5 days. They thought it was wonderful. ?

That attitude is applied to hordes who come here and are ferried around in buses to god knows how many places during a short holiday. They, the tourists,  have no say in it. Doesn't matter if they complain about some things because they will be somewhere else tomorrow. They, the tourists, are in each overcrowded place a short time so don't really care about that place except for taking selfies to show friends at home they were there.

Both sides have to change but the change will be a long time comming here.

Enviromentalists? Where are they? Get them to all the rural towns bordering forest and public land. Every stinking thai is allowed legally/illegally to take as many dam trees as they want, officials selling off dirt and alike whilst locals burn tons and tons of rubbish daily. Blame thais first! Didnt i just read about more hospital  rubbish in pattaya? Thais need to get things more oganized in a cleaner way for the tourists. Travel to many places in the woold and there is rules, fence lines, cleaner transport and such. Thais have to organize things better and stop blaming tourists. More xenaphobia and lack of responsability.

headline must be....  put a cap on Chinese tourists. As they outnumber by far all the others and bring at the same time less spending power, 

problem solved and happy foreign ( non Chinese ) tourists again

Edited by Deli

Being an environmentalist in Thailand must be a tough job. Rarely, have I seen an entire nation, that is so out of touch, when it comes to the environment, the consumption of plastic, the disposal of trash, taking care of the land and the water, etc. It is sometimes mind boggling. I have walked up to Thais, after they have thrown trash on the beach, and asked them why did you just do that? They were apologetic, and ashamed. But, it was like muscle memory for them. Just a reflex. When I questioned them, they were like deer in the headlights. Oh, I did not even think about it. Yeah, that is the point. Be conscious. Consider your actions. You guys go on and on and on about how great your nation is. Well, then why are you not taking care of it? Do you think it takes care of itself? Do you not consider your actions, and the impact they have on the world? 

Plastic is not the greatest thing in the world. It is the worst thing in the world for the environment. Dispose of it properly. Recycle it. Refuse plastic bags at stores. Bring you own recycled bottle of water to a restaurant. There are alot of things we can do to help preserve the nation.

A cap on tourism would be a great idea. But, it is never going to happen. The leadership here simply lacks any vision, imagination, intelligence, creativity, or foresight. It is all about the money. The future and the legacy of the nation is never taken into account. 

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

And, once you reach that point, things then begin to go downhill rapidly; I hope Thailand has the wisdom to not let it get that far.

Long way to go yet...this is a beach in Dalian...

2015-08-16T142119Z_1032913989_GF20000021804_RTRMADP_3_CHINA-ODDLY.JPG

The "future" already arrived in thailand about 18 years ago - around the turn of the century - and most of the well known attractions are now  $h!Th0le$ as a result

The picture at the top of this page says it all really. That one of the most naturally beautiful locations needs to be jam packed with as many people that can fit on the beach as possible - Is that really what tourists come to see? Do they even see anything besides the 500 people shoulder to shoulder next to them? Do they even care? Are they even humans?  

3 hours ago, smedly said:

I see no great pleasure in being jammed into an overcrowded  boat being ferried to an overcrowded beach to stand there with 1000 other people then shovelled back on the crowded boat as fast as possible............

not to worry.......a billion chinese tourists will be happy to take your place.

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I tend to agree with the post above, but I would add a point or two...

In addition to the crime and safety aspect, there simply comes a time where saturation is achieved. I truly love some of the temples in Thailand, but I will not visit them if there are too many people or if I have to wait too long. Further, If I fly into Thailand and end up waiting for several hours to get through immigration, then I am not going to do it anymore. If I go to a popular beach and I need to really search for a good spot because there are too many people, I'll either go to another beach or give it a miss. Etc. Etc. Etc.

My point is that, to me at least, there is a time where things are "full" and Thailand is approaching that point. And, once you reach that point, things then begin to go downhill rapidly; I hope Thailand has the wisdom to not let it get that far.

Good points!   I for one have stopped going to the crowded and polluted beaches of the south.  

My travel nowadays is only plane or train.   Highways, buses, tour vans are risks I'd prefer not to take.

2 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

By my maths 9000 per day times 365 is just over 3 millions a 6 million cap is not going to reduce things.

HaHa I didn't do the maths---- thanks for that, Just goes to show how much interest these people have and how they are coping with figures.Then someone mentioned that all this money is not going into the places that it was designed for.That's strange ---- where's it all going ?:smile::smile::smile: 

24 minutes ago, masuk said:

Good points!   I for one have stopped going to the crowded and polluted beaches of the south.  

My travel nowadays is only plane or train.   Highways, buses, tour vans are risks I'd prefer not to take.

Short breaks 2 or 3 days we will use a hotel but for longer, 8 to 14 days it's always been self catering. Once in my life many years ago I tried a package holiday for a week.

Worst holiday of my life.