EU tells Britain: Time has come to make a Brexit choice

webfact

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

I understand what you mean.

Unfortunately we are not dancing the okey kokey and we can't be in out in out shaken all about.

Indecision helps nobody. For years before the brexit vote there were complaints from some that we would

be better off outside the union. Those were the years that remainders should have been more vociferous.

Unfortunately, complacency resulted in a very narrow victory for brexiters.

Personally, for selfish reasons, had I been able to vote it would have been to remain. I think that with our big financial input we could have found common cause with other countries concerned about the immigration issue and got a better deal. We would have been better off fighting from within the ring where our punches might have hit home than arguing over the ropes from outside.

We have seen how reluctant the EEC were to let Greece leave. Is not the UK more valuable to the EEC as a contributer than Greece is as a defaulter ?

Sorry to say . Dont agree. too many restrictions placed on our farmers.my thinking is can grow, do it.puk the south americans

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Of course we do.  Circumstances and opinions change.  The referendum was only advisory anyway, and was a huge miscalculation by Cameron as a sop to the extreme right of the Tory party.  Parliament would be well advised to ignore the result in my opinion, but obviously this would be extremely difficult to do politically.  A General Election could settle it, if Labour had the courage to be in favour of Remaining.

It’s a fact that most Labour supporters are in favour of Brexit, so for Labour to support remaining in this so called union would be suicide.

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A slim majority that could be overturned in another referendum. Once the disastrous consequences of leaving the Single Market and Customs Union are fully understood, another vote is inevitable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And then what another referendum to over turn the second one.really wish people would accept the fact it was a leave vote get over it and embrace the new better begining

It’s a fact that most Labour supporters are in favour of Brexit, so for Labour to support remaining in this so called union would be suicide.

Do you have evidence for this "fact"? It may well have been true, but I doubt it is now and, as the Brexit shambles continues and the full implications of leaving the Single Market are fully understood, it is very unlikely to be the case by the time of the next election.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, Ditto said:

And then what another referendum to over turn the second one.really wish people would accept the fact it was a leave vote get over it and embrace the new better begining

The only justification for a second referendum would be because with the first we didn't know the consequences of it and now we do.  The consequences for both sides of the argument. However we don't need a new referendum because the government have agreed that we will have a meaningful vote once the negotiations are done.  At that time we can reject or accept the wonderful deal that the government have made. 

Yes, another referendum but one in which the full terms of Brexit are fully understood. Seems fair to me, although I'd prefer parliament to show some balls and ignore what was, after all, an advisory referendum.

12 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

What "system" ? Referendums are not part of UK parliamentary procedure

9 hours ago, smedly said:

they are when the government decides to have one

Incorrect. They are when Parliament decides to have one. Please understand the difference.

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Made up nonsense. Fake News anyone? However, it is a fact that some Labour held constituencies voted for Brexit and this is a problem for Labour.

20 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Snowflakes..suck it up now like good boys..we are leaving the fraudulent corrupt eu,where the accounts have not been signed off for over 25 years.
Why should the very hard pressed British taxpayer pay into a financial cesspit???
Supporting the 5 star lifestyle of corrupt people like Drunkard..sorry I mean Junker

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We can do without than tone

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

True, at the moment. If it is politically expedient to do, there can certainly be a majority for Remain within Labour for the next election. Even Corbyn is coming round to it. The youth vote is vital for Labour, and the vast majority of young people are Remainers - not surprisingly as, unlike the fossils who championed Brexit, their future depends on it.

Your attitude in trying to forge a wedge between the older and younger generations, over this issue is despicable, and  strangely I find, contrary to your statement,that in fact many of the younger generation are increasingly in full support of Brexit. We are one nation, remember that.

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

True, at the moment. If it is politically expedient to do, there can certainly be a majority for Remain within Labour for the next election. Even Corbyn is coming round to it. The youth vote is vital for Labour, and the vast majority of young people are Remainers - not surprisingly as, unlike the fossils who championed Brexit, their future depends on it.

Your attitude in trying to forge a wedge between the older and younger generations, over this issue is despicable, and  strangely I find, contrary to your statement,that in fact many of the younger generation are increasingly in full support of Brexit. We are one nation, or at least should be, remember that.

Your attitude in trying to forge a wedge between the older and younger generations, over this issue is despicable, and  strangely I find, contrary to your statement,that in fact many of the younger generation are increasingly in full support of Brexit. We are one nation, remember that.

I'm just basing my opinion on numerous opinion polls. Of course they could be wrong, but I think the evidence is there that young people overwhelmingly voted Remain. After all, why would they want to restrict their freedom of movement?

11 hours ago, dunroaming said:

The only justification for a second referendum would be because with the first we didn't know the consequences of it and now we do.  The consequences for both sides of the argument. However we don't need a new referendum because the government have agreed that we will have a meaningful vote once the negotiations are done.  At that time we can reject or accept the wonderful deal that the government have made. 

Rubish hey lets have another WW2. As we didn't know of the consequences at the beginning.

11 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, another referendum but one in which the full terms of Brexit are fully understood. Seems fair to me, although I'd prefer parliament to show some balls and ignore what was, after all, an advisory referendum.

No not at all the vote was won we are finaly leaving the EU thank God . Love the fact it's all advisory now sad bad lossers

1 hour ago, the guest said:

Yes British citizens will join the immigration queues along with the rest of the non-EU members. 

That is great news as generally these queues are a lot less habituated. The Mrs. had to wait for 30-45 minutes when we flew to Manchester and London. It would have been better for me if I was Thai.:smile:

2 minutes ago, Ditto said:

No not at all the vote was won we are finaly leaving the EU thank God . Love the fact it's all advisory now sad bad lossers

Let's wait and see.  If public opinion against leaving continues to increase, as people realise the consequences of the impending disaster and how they have been misled, it will be politically crazy to continue.  

14 hours ago, nontabury said:

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Do you have evidence for this "fact"? It may well have been true, but I doubt it is now and, as the Brexit shambles continues and the full implications of leaving the Single Market are fully understood, it is very unlikely to be the case by the time of the next election.

http://www.polimapper.co.uk/blog/eu-referendum-vote-by-parliamentary-constituency

14 hours ago, dunroaming said:

I do agree that there should be another referendum on the final, agreed deal.

Accept the deal/reject and leave with no deal, and no payment to the EU.

This would 'encourage' politicians on both sides to negotiate sensibly and achieve the best deal possible (again, for both sides).

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

This would 'encourage' politicians on both sides to negotiate sensibly and achieve the best deal possible (again, for both sides).

That is what the first referendum should have been about.......1. Stay  2. Leave no deal 3. Leave on these terms

23 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

It seems a third option is missing? You want to give the British electorate a say in the outcome, but not too much of one?

46 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

22 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

It seems a third option is missing? You want to give the British electorate a say in the outcome, but not too much of one?

You're right of course, there should be a third option (remain).

But this would encourage politicians in the UK and EU to come up with a bad deal - and the media/UK and EU to re-double their efforts to support the 'fear' campaign....

Even so, I'm a bit 'on the fence' about this.

Who in their right mind would trust politicians and the media to do anything other than support their own financial cause?  And as we already know they are more than happy to say pretty much anything in support of their cause....