How do you show money at Savanakhet for a tourist visa?

32 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I would think u also need to print the screenshot for their files.

It is not "for their files".  The one accepting your application is just doing some preliminary checks to make sure the application is complete.  Someone else will be doing the processing of the application and accepting it or denying your visa (application fee - is just that an application fee not a processing fee and is not refundable).  So they need that documentation for the actual processing.

22 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its just when people ask how to get from A >B

The answer is either Bus , Boat , train or plane .

As there are no flights, trains or boats between your A & B , then answer must be "bus"

Transporter Beam over fiber optic link.

15 hours ago, torrow said:

Are you saying they don't actually require a printed copy and just seeing a screen shot on your phone is sufficient.?

I was there last week and a guy I know had a to go and get a printed bank statement as they would not accept the statement on his ipad.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need to show a bank statement (print or a screenshot will be accepted) or a bank book. I have not heard of any rule for how up to date it should be.

Just for the record, isn't it a bit strange (contradictory) that a "tourist" is required to have a bank account in the country (Thailand) that he is visiting?

Not only that, but last time I checked (about 2 years ago) it was not anymore possible to open a bank account without showing a work permit...

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Just for the record, isn't it a bit strange (contradictory) that a "tourist" is required to have a bank account in the country (Thailand) that he is visiting?

Any country in the world can the bank account in be. Does not have to in Thailand be.

Hi,  this is an "idiot" question from me on the same subject.  I will be in Phuket for a month Nov - Dec visiting friends.  I usually use my ATM card (regularly over a 5.5 year period when I lived on the island).  Do I have to bring the equivalent in sterling with me, approx £500, as my Thai bank account has been closed, or what.  I find this a little confusing.  Entering Thailand via Hong Kong only staying 30 days.

46 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Any country in the world can the bank account in be. Does not have to in Thailand be.

OK, then it means that the officer is able to convert, on the fly, any currency into to Thai baht in order to check if the balance is at least the equivalent of 20,000 baht.

Having said that, my point was to say that having a Thai bank account should actually raise suspicions, because real tourists usually don't open bank accounts in the countries they visit...even less so when a work permit is required to do so...

Edited by Brunolem

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

It is not "for their  files".  The one accepting your application is just doing some preliminary checks to make sure the application is complete.  Someone else will be doing the processing of the application and accepting it or denying your visa (application fee - is just that an application fee not a processing fee and is not refundable).  So they need that documentation for the actual processing.

So u have inside information ey?  ....This reminds me that Vientiane do not take payment until u collect your passport and visa. I wonder if they would still insist on payment if one's application failed.

38 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

OK, then it means that the officer is able to convert, on the fly, any currency into to Thai baht in order to check if the balance is at least the equivalent of 20,000 baht.

The tourist visa is not issued until the following day. So, the approving officer has time to peruse the documents at his leisure and get on xe.com if necessary.

Edited by Briggsy

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

So u have inside information ey?  ....This reminds me that Vientiane do not take payment until u collect your passport and visa. I wonder if they would still insist on payment if one's application failed.

Not much insider information, just basically a very normal bureaucratic process.  The person manning the windows is not going to be very senior, it is going to go through a several step process with finally get the sign off of the person in charge of the consulate.   If you read the website -- all the ones I have seen for different countries indicate the fee is for the application and is not refundable.  I remember my sister (who has been posted several times as High Commissioner/Ambassador) getting a phone call over and over wanting to get the application fee back (was rejected because of ties to persona non grata organization)...  i.e. everything was in order with documents but failed on association to an organization that was banned from entering Canada. i.e. it is pretty standard world-wide.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, BritTim said:

Some people, especially those from countries that have mostly ceased using cash, assume that they are safe relying on electronic transactions and credit cards. When they are entering Thailand, that may not be precisely true, but they should easily be able to get the cash they need with credit cards or good bank cards. Even in Thailand, those who exist in high class hotels and restaurants, take organized tours, and otherwise travel in hotel limos will only need a little cash for tips.

It's [word considered offensive] for the Kingdom to ask for such a thing and highlights just how backward the thinking is though I guess it could equally be argued that they are being dishonest about wanting 'quality tourists' when their actions show they actually want dullards. 

• Like 1

On 2018-02-06 at 6:25 PM, BritTim said:

Some people, especially those from countries that have mostly ceased using cash, assume that they are safe relying on electronic transactions and credit cards. When they are entering Thailand, that may not be precisely true, but they should easily be able to get the cash they need with credit cards or good bank cards. Even in Thailand, those who exist in high class hotels and restaurants, take organized tours, and otherwise travel in hotel limos will only need a little cash for tips.

Many people I know through work -- would never keep any money other than maybe a few dollars in their wallet and never go to the bank (bare minimum emergency contact money).  They would only use their AMEX (Business) or other personal credit card - as it provided them a complete audit trail etc. for business expenses etc.  (as well as their own ability to know where they spent money on).  Use their AMEX when possible to run it through business, and only go to using their personal card for things that absolutely could not be run through business (basically trying to expense things pre-tax not after tax).  Even on holiday, they would try and find something that they could claim was business related....  I am more the opposite when it comes to personal expenses (though AMEX for business is the best option) - I don't like using credit cards -- prefer to stay cash based.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Many people I know through work -- would never keep any money other than maybe a few dollars in their wallet and never go to the bank (bare minimum emergency contact money).  They would only use their AMEX (Business) or other personal credit card - as it provided them a complete audit trail etc. for business expenses etc.  (as well as their own ability to know where they spent money on).  Use their AMEX when possible to run it through business, and only go to using their personal card for things that absolutely could not be run through business (basically trying to expense things pre-tax not after tax).  Even on holiday, they would try and find something that they could claim was business related....  I am more the opposite when it comes to personal expenses (though AMEX for business is the best option) - I don't like using credit cards -- prefer to stay cash based.

I to prefer to stay cash based but it's also the frequency and how much. I might go 5 days without needing to buy anything and even then it could be just a couple of beers in town or some onions from the market. Granted, Thailand is still a very cash based market but one would expect better when it comes to inter-country official business.

Since the thread is a couple of days old I'll chance my arm and perhaps go a little off topic.

It's like the 6k (GBP) you need for an METV or rather specifically that it needs to be at least that for the previous 6 months, I forget the term, sorry. Some people might keep that kind of money in a saving account but many more people invest their money in some shape or form and having it sitting doing close to zilch in a bank account would be nothing short of silly. Quality tourists my [word], they either want dullards or are so utterly inept that they would have done the ice bucket challenge with a  box of spanners. 

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

No, they did not in my case.  The processor found a little "frequently-travels" stamp on an old visa (black ink, not red), refused my Tourist Visa, and threw away my supporting documentation of income and residence (which Vientiane's stamp says you can show, to get past the restriction). 

The guy the next day handed me my passport, apologized, told me to get a new passport from my embassy, and said new printouts of the supporting-docs would make no difference.  No charge (except a wasted night). 

I used a Visa-Exempt to enter over Friendship Bridge that afternoon - no problem, as it was my first in the calendar year.  The IO there was friendly, and gave me a little pamphlet warning about the "2 exempts per year by land" rule.

Good to know....Thanks.

13 hours ago, JackThompson said:

No, they did not in my case.  The processor found a little "frequently-travels" stamp on an old visa (black ink, not red), refused my Tourist Visa, and threw away my supporting documentation of income and residence (which Vientiane's stamp says you can show, to get past the restriction). 

The guy the next day handed me my passport, apologized, told me to get a new passport from my embassy, and said new printouts of the supporting-docs would make no difference.  No charge (except a wasted night). 

I used a Visa-Exempt to enter over Friendship Bridge that afternoon - no problem, as it was my first in the calendar year.  The IO there was friendly, and gave me a little pamphlet warning about the "2 exempts per year by land" rule.

As i'm sure you're aware Tim even though Vientiane will say you can still get a SETV if you show the supporting documents and income they won't give you one even if you do show them what's required

15 hours ago, darrendsd said:

As i'm sure you're aware (Jack, that) even though Vientiane will say you can still get a SETV if you show the supporting documents and income they won't give you one even if you do show them what's required

Exactly.  I did not intend to test this, as I had no red-stamp from them.  But went ahead and included supporting docs to be sure there would be no issue.  Turns out, they don't want/care about supporting docs - AND - they won't give you a visa even if a red-stamp exists from another consulate, 2 visas prior.

On 2/11/2018 at 12:39 AM, JackThompson said:

Exactly.  I did not intend to test this, as I had no red-stamp from them.  But went ahead and included supporting docs to be sure there would be no issue.  Turns out, they don't want/care about supporting docs - AND - they won't give you a visa even if a red-stamp exists from another consulate, 2 visas prior.

I think I did ask you this before but I forgot.

How did you get red stamped again? On your second one from Phnom Pehn?

Just now, lkv said:

I think I did ask you this before but I forgot.

How did you get red stamped again? On your second one from Phnom Pehn?

Yes.  And the red-stamp was on my 4th total TV in my passport (one prior from Phnom Penh).  It was actually in black-ink, but the usual verbiage. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2018 at 7:57 AM, ubonjoe said:

If use the fly/ride service offered by Nok Air or Air Asia to Mukdahan the transport is included.

Info for Nok Air service via 3 regional airports. https://content.nokair.com/en/Booking/Where-we-fly/Flight-Service/Fly-n-Ride/Sakon-Nakhon-Mukdahan

Always when I try to book a flight/ride (whatever) to Mukdahan with Air Asia, it says 'unavailable'...