How Prawit has succeeded where Prayut has failed

webfact

3 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Of course he has. He has more time on his hands  . . . . . 

He's got a bum ticker, assume this is one reason (among several) he's being allowed to stay on? And given his "lifestyle choices" can't seem him outliving Prayuth.

Plus he knows where all the bodies are buried.

• Like 1

Oh blimey, poor Prawit in the media several times a day for like two or more months already. Guess the other 4 million or so corrupt civil servants are lovin it as the heat is off of them. Really whats new? Corruption is endemic from the cadet bobby up to a man like this in his position and everyone in between ...its a pyramid of kickbacks, always has been and will remain so for many years to come regardless. Yep as to who is in power at any given time can then wag their finger at the others and so on, but it still doesnt  make themselves less corrupt ...and so on, and so on.

My new neighbour is a top ________________ but the newly refurbed  3 mill+ baht house is not in his name, wonder why? Lovely too to see the daily deliveries of boxes and envelopes but not by Thailand post. Love to tell you more but I'd probably dissapear eh at the hands of one of those in the middle pyramid 'cough' civil servants. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mok199 said:

in my humble opinion,average people accept corruption at high levels of govt.but some things need to be changed. this insane police check stop overkill , the beaches are destroyed and tour buses are causing chaos,when I see an education system so primitive and corrupt I worry about my 3 yr old boy,crumbling sewage and power infustructure so poor that clean rain water becomes dangerous sewage , lawlessness on the roads ,this country needs a complete make over.and.. I read headlines about some old shamless politican with an expensive watch .. the old man club will protect each other until hell freezes.show the average thai and forienger that life in Thailand can be good and affordable again....

To expand upon your first point ;

I think high end corruption is accepted providing the masses see some benefit to themselves .

If the economy is stalling , freedom of speech eroded , democratic elections suspended , political expression banned , then the people may well yearn again for the corrupt governance they once knew.

Edited by joecoolfrog

A very good comment from "The Nation" & "Thai Visa", but it would be better if they both understood English. The word GRAFT is an English word that means to WORK HARD. Does the

ANTI-GRAFT of Thailand really mean ANTI-WORKING HARD? Therefore is it any wonder that the country is always in a mess, because they never understand what or know what they are talking about. They do talk about their level of education, but there is a big difference between education and intelligence.

17 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

A very good comment from "The Nation" & "Thai Visa", but it would be better if they both understood English. The word GRAFT is an English word that means to WORK HARD. Does the

ANTI-GRAFT of Thailand really mean ANTI-WORKING HARD? Therefore is it any wonder that the country is always in a mess, because they never understand what or know what they are talking about. They do talk about their level of education, but there is a big difference between education and intelligence.

You’d think they’d take the time to find out it was 'Grift' they meant,but as that means only small scale swindling even that is inaccurate. 

I know the education system lets them down but I sometimes wonder if the raw material is also lacking when I see some of the appalling lack of common sense shown in so many aspects.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Not sure whether you're serious, here, WCFP, with your 'bad English' criticism of those two fine news media, but 'graft', a term originating in US, has even made it to the 'posh' English dictionaries; here's the Cambridge deftn:

graft noun (INFLUENCE)

[ U ] mainly US the act of getting money or advantage through the dishonest use of political power and influence:

The whole government was riddled with graft, bribery, and corruption.

Given the tone of your post, though, I think you'll be happy to add this modern meaning of graft to those more deeply rooted in your dictionary.
Personally, I, too, put some of the blame for Thailand's susceptibility to graft on its dreadfully passive education, whereby, from what I read, kids are mostly encouraged to rote learn old dogmas, rather than to be lectured in the pros and cons of life and decision-making and the difference, from a humanity perspective, between lying and honesty and giving and taking.
I spent a sickening half-hour, earlier, reading about Thailand's international standing on its perceived corruption rating and, more worryingly, the depth that the Junta is directly involved in corruption . . . and graft. Just pop these key words - the diplomat thai junta corruption - into Google and prepare to be enraged :post-4641-1156693976: "Junta out, Junta out, Junta out" will soon be the cry.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/02/2018 at 2:14 AM, canuckamuck said:

Hate to defend the educations of The Nation's editors but

Wrong the origins of the word graft goes back beyond the medical use. Its use proceeds this in its use in farming as with grafting trees. Hence the meaning deriving to work hard. Quoting it as American English to mean corruption is in itself a corruption of the English Language.

On 09/02/2018 at 4:59 AM, Ossy said:

Not sure whether you're serious, here, WCFP, with your 'bad English' criticism of those two fine news media, but 'graft', a term originating in US, has even made it to the 'posh' English dictionaries; here's the Cambridge deftn:

graft noun (INFLUENCE)

[ U ] mainly US the act of getting money or advantage through the dishonest use of political power and influence:

The whole government was riddled with graft, bribery, and corruption.

Given the tone of your post, though, I think you'll be happy to add this modern meaning of graft to those more deeply rooted in your dictionary.
Personally, I, too, put some of the blame for Thailand's susceptibility to graft on its dreadfully passive education, whereby, from what I read, kids are mostly encouraged to rote learn old dogmas, rather than to be lectured in the pros and cons of life and decision-making and the difference, from a humanity perspective, between lying and honesty and giving and taking.
I spent a sickening half-hour, earlier, reading about Thailand's international standing on its perceived corruption rating and, more worryingly, the depth that the Junta is directly involved in corruption . . . and graft. Just pop these key words - the diplomat thai junta corruption - into Google and prepare to be enraged :post-4641-1156693976: "Junta out, Junta out, Junta out" will soon be the cry.

"The UK ENglish is hard graft" "A grafter is someone who works hard" "Originally grafting was digging massive defensive earthworks" which takes it  well back into English History. The earliest dates being mid 19Th Century.

a grafter | WordReference Forum

36 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

"The UK ENglish is hard graft" "A grafter is someone who works hard" "Originally grafting was digging massive defensive earthworks" which takes it  well back into English History. The earliest dates being mid 19Th Century.

a grafter | WordReference Forum

Hence Winston Churchill's famous study..

"History of the Quite Close to English Speaking  Peoples."

Back to graft and mess'rs Prayuth and Prawit-altho' just as to why their names should be associated with graft is quite bewildering.Really.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Wrong the origins of the word graft goes back beyond the medical use. Its use proceeds this in its use in farming as with grafting trees. Hence the meaning deriving to work hard. Quoting it as American English to mean corruption is in itself a corruption of the English Language.

I always found that using the term graft to mean hard work also sounds a bit weird also. Grafting might be hard, but not as hard shoveling coal or a thousand other laborious tasks. To my ear it is almost as strange as the phrase 'taking the piss'. A very unappealing image is evoked which can not be related to the intended usage. But perhaps I misunderstand. It is possible, I suppose, that The British have a fondness for urine that North Americans have failed to embrace.

• Haha 1

The above discussion on the current meaning of "graft" is a fascinating vignette on the dynamics of how languages change. However it does not touch upon the critical question which underlies the whole business.

Does Mickey Mouse wear a General Prawit watch?

• Haha 1

Thailand’s vicious cycle goes like this: Powerful politicians start by declaring war on corruption, and anyone except their own people are punished.

Once those in power face graft accusations themselves, they decry a “conspiracy”, saying the charges were cooked up in order to bring them down.

This is exactly how i see it, and if you want corruption of a current government investigated you wil have to wait till it finally loses its power. Sad actually as it means people have so much time to hide all evidence and they will do all they can to stay in power so their crimes cannot be prosecuted. 

• Like 1

Prawit is one of the few higher ups that is allowed to be scrutinised, therefore , he is taking all the heat. He is a great sideshow to keep the public focused, in order to divert attention from more serious issues. 

Some people very near to the pm, or even the pm himself, are considered untouchable in regards to scrutiny of assets and graft and cronyism .

They are so untouchable, no newspaper, fb page, or even foreign media or government dare to mention names. 

If Prawit is removed. 

Where do you think all that frustration and attention will be focused next? ?

Poor Prawit, his watches are but a drop in the ocean .

On ‎8‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, William C F Pierce said:

Guess you need to do a little more research on the understanding of draft yourself. "Graft" in English English , is slang for work (usually hard work),  whereas " graft" is being used here as slang for corruption which the majority of intelligent people understand although the educated ones may not. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Prawit is one of the few higher ups that is allowed to be scrutinised, therefore , he is taking all the heat. He is a great sideshow to keep the public focused, in order to divert attention from more serious issues. 

Some people very near to the pm, or even the pm himself, are considered untouchable in regards to scrutiny of assets and graft and cronyism .

They are so untouchable, no newspaper, fb page, or even foreign media or government dare to mention names. 

If Prawit is removed. 

Where do you think all that frustration and attention will be focused next? ?

Poor Prawit, his watches are but a drop in the ocean .

I agree with your comment about Prawit, the "Jolly General" ,every government needs a sort of court jester. In fact many of us remember the antics of Thaksin's sidekick , one Chalerm Yubamrung who along with a couple of his rowdy sons kept us entertained over the years with his fondness for "ear medicine".

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I agree with your comment about Prawit, every government needs a sort of court jester. In fact many of us remember the antics of Thaksin's sidekick , one Chalerm Yubamrung who along with a couple of his rowdy sons kept us entertained over the years with his fondness for "ear medicine".

good call, although the criminal off-spring certainly weren't entertaining , stand-over tactics, murder, and who knows what else --  is another story.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

good call, although the criminal off-spring certainly weren't entertaining , stand-over tactics, murder, and who knows what else --  is another story.

Well, I see your point, to a point, but I considered that the fact that  Duangchalerm, a murderer of a police officer went on to become an officer in the RTP, because he "was skilled at using a pistol",  and the other Wanchalerm went on to lesser fame as Minister of Clean Toilets to be entertaining in a dark, Thailand sort of humour..

29 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I agree with your comment about Prawit, the "Jolly General" ,every government needs a sort of court jester. In fact many of us remember the antics of Thaksin's sidekick , one Chalerm Yubamrung who along with a couple of his rowdy sons kept us entertained over the years with his fondness for "ear medicine".

That sums it up nicely.

He's the court jester. 

He's probably the least corrupt of them all.