Video: Pick-up slams into back of high end BMW that "couldn't be left in neutral" at parking lot

webfact

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What would you prefer then? Arrive at the shopping center just to find out that all spaces are occupied so you have to turn around and go home?

You could of course also just take the MRT next time and leave the parking to everybody else.

I agree, there isn't an abundance of parking spaces in a busy place like Bangkok. It just does annoy me and I am surprised these issues aren't more common. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I was one boxed in, but the security guard had a rolling jack and moved the car in less than 5 min. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Agreed, I was pleasantly surprised by this recently.  We were boxed in by some kind of private ambulance at Central, I had no idea the attendants had rolling jacks, thought they would stand there like lemons helpless, but we dithered for a few minutes and they decided the driver wasn't likely to appear, so out came the jack and they shifted it between two of them in no time.  I didn't have time to finish my sandwich.  Good to know, if the wife hadn't been there I would have had no idea this could be done.  I think with some smiles and sign language any farang could get out of a pickle, so long as you know it's an option and the attendants have half a clue.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think there is any sympathy for the BMW owner here... and I quite agree.

IF your car cannot be easily placed in to neutral (my last 3 cars couldn't) then the only solution is drive around until a proper space is found. 

This has nothing to do with the type of car (BMW), although people love to jump on the bandwagon that 'if someone drives a European Car they are entitled selfish a-holes' - that is just flawed logic with a dollop of jealousy.

Unfortunately in Thailand this occurs a lot with many brands of car, although not as often as I would expect. Its only happened to me twice: Once I had to wait 30mins, they guy got back in his car without so much as an apology (he got an earful), another time the parking attendants used a trolly jack. 

It is possible that this incident was an accident, as another poster mentioned: foot slipped off the clutch - but its also possible that the person driving the pickup was in impatient moron with a handful of rage issues. 

I do hope this news spreads and it prevents others from selfishly parking in a similar manner. 

We all live in hope Richard. 

?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think there is any sympathy for the BMW owner here... and I quite agree.

IF your car cannot be easily placed in to neutral (my last 3 cars couldn't) then the only solution is drive around until a proper space is found. 

This has nothing to do with the type of car (BMW), although people love to jump on the bandwagon that 'if someone drives a European Car they are entitled selfish a-holes' - that is just flawed logic with a dollop of jealousy.

Unfortunately in Thailand this occurs a lot with many brands of car, although not as often as I would expect. Its only happened to me twice: Once I had to wait 30mins, they guy got back in his car without so much as an apology (he got an earful), another time the parking attendants used a trolly jack. 

It is possible that this incident was an accident, as another poster mentioned: foot slipped off the clutch - but its also possible that the person driving the pickup was in impatient moron with a handful of rage issues. 

I do hope this news spreads and it prevents others from selfishly parking in a similar manner. 

I believe the system can work for nuetral.

Press the button on the left of the lever, hold and move forward one stop wait a couple of seconds. Still holding the button move back two stops wait a couple of seconds move to N release the button.

Gives 15 minutes of nuetral.

Edited by overherebc

25 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Press the button on the left of the lever, hold and move forward one stop wait a couple of seconds. Still holding the button move back two stops wait a couple of seconds move to N release the button.

Yeah, it is real simple:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

nice video, but I wouldn't call this exactly easy for your average lady that has no idea how the car works anyway.  But why in the world do they make some cars, have all these tricks just to put the vehicle in Neutral?  What is their rationale?

They work the same way IT people do. Take a system that is working fine and change it 'because they can' and believe that everyone else in the world is as IT savvy as they are.

Car manufacturers believe marketing dept ideas are the most important, fitting the cars with bits and pieces that come from F1 cars etc 'will make the customer feel good' and think he/she is Lewis Hamilton on the high street.   

It also means that when you buy the product you are tied to the dealer for repairs and of course dealer prices. One of the biggest cons for me is the 'check engine' orange light that suddenly comes on. 99% of people panic and go to the dealer to get it fixed. There's a little unit you can buy on the net, you plug it into the car, every car built in the last 6 years has the port, download the App to your phone and it tells you exactly what the dealers unit tells them. You can use the info when you go to the dealer or in many cases you can fix the minor problem yourself, especially the 'check engine' light. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I've had two BMW's recently... I was unaware that either could be shifted into Neutral while parked.

[F10 5 Series / F15 X5] - I imagine many owners are also unaware of the 15 minute feature.

That said - I never wanted to park my car where it could be 'pushed' and the 15mins of 'neutral' doesn't offer much with regards to parking.

There is a method by which neutral can be selected mechanically i.e. for towing, but its not something you'd want to do on a regular basis (i.e. while parking at a Mall). 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've had two BMW's recently... I was unaware that either could be shifted into Neutral while parked.

[F10 5 Series / F15 X5] - I imagine many owners are also unaware of the 15 minute feature.

That said - I never wanted to park my car where it could be 'pushed' and the 15mins of 'neutral' doesn't offer much with regards to parking.

There is a method by which neutral can be selected mechanically i.e. for towing, but its not something you'd want to do on a regular basis (i.e. while parking at a Mall). 

Very true all of it. I reckon it's basically designed to allow loading onto a flat bed for transport. Some older models could only be done by removing a panel on the floor from underneath and screwing in a captive bolt or screw to release the box into neutral. Not a good idea when up on a jack.

32 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

nice video, but I wouldn't call this exactly easy for your average lady that has no idea how the car works anyway.  But why in the world do they make some cars, have all these tricks just to put the vehicle in Neutral?  What is their rationale?

Really?

All they have to do is read the transmission manual and understand how the emergency solenoid shift interlock release mechanism works. It is at the bottom of page 5.

6HP19bmw.pdf

• Haha 2

In case you have misplaced your tools you, just memorize and follow the below instructions:

If you dont have the tool, try this (copied from another thread):

1) Turn the ignition ON (KL15).
2) Press the brake pedal and continue pressing it throughout all further steps.
3) Press the Start/Stop button (starter will engage).
4) As soon as the starter motor is engaged, press the unlock button on the left side of the GWS shifter and move the shifter forward to position N.

Note: For M57Y diesel engine-equipped vehicles and during low ambient temperatures, a certain delay (up to 4 seconds) may be experienced before switching to the N position.

5) Continue pressing the GWS shifter towards the N position until the audible gong is heard and a CC message "Gearbox Malfunction. Gearbox position P may not be possible. Activate parking brake while vehicle is standing" is displayed.
6) Then release the gearshift and reselect the N position within the next 6 seconds. Gear position N is then displayed in the instrument cluster.
7) Continue depressing the brake pedal until the starter motor stops cranking. Then the brake pedal can be released and the vehicle can be moved/pushed into a desired place.

Important:
After applying the procedure described above, the vehicle can only be moved manually. Towing is prohibited since the parking lock may engage, causing severe transmission damage.

8) The ignition has to be ON (KL15) at all the times during this process. If turned OFF, the Park gear position is going to be engaged automatically.

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

I agree, there isn't an abundance of parking spaces in a busy place like Bangkok. It just does annoy me and I am surprised these issues aren't more common. 

And there will be more and more cars each and every year in Thailand,...... you get the idea, don you, folks........ 

There was allot of space between the pickup truck and the car on the near side. It is possible that with many maneuvers the pickup truck could have squeezed out at an angle. I view this ramming as a form of road rage even though the BMW owner was responsible for causing the problem.

4 hours ago, Darcula said:

That's why you are not supposed to park it where it blocks exits, or other cars.

4 hours ago, Darcula said:

She said that this model of European car could not be left in neutral.

Oh no, the falangs are to blame again, not understanding the local culture!

• Like 1