PSA test

mikejphuket

15 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Mission will have the results inside a couple of hours. Get in early and you'll be ahead of the queue. I think the lab opes at 7 or 7:30.

Don't forget you must fast for 12 hours before having a blood test. I always go as early as possible then can have breakfast while waiting for the results.

Just had a look at my medical checkup pamphlet for Mission- they quote B832 for a PSA test (obviously the doctor report and nursing costs will add a bit more). It used to form part of the annual checkup ( currently B3010) but is now a separate add-on. Interestingly they have reduced the cost of the annual checkup so it works out the same as before. 

BIH quoted 3k yesterday for a thyroid test that is at least 2/3 cheaper at Mission IIRC!

But I digress.

It's not just the cholesterol test that requires fasting, many blood tests require it, many don't.

Various things can cause a PSA test to give a false positive. I had one once due to recently having had a kidney stone. The silly doctor noted to me when ordering the test that a kidney stone might cause a false positive, but ordered the test anyway. When it came back positive I had to wait a month and do it again. Should have just waited a month in the first place and saved the money.

When in doubt, the urologist should give you the finger.

On 09/02/2018 at 2:42 PM, LivinginKata said:

I did not know that - I had thought all blood tests required fasting. Mind you if I get blood taken I always do the full works. It's not expensive.

On 07/02/2018 at 7:18 PM, mikejphuket said:

:smile:

It might pay to abstain from sex for a couple of days prior to the PSA test as this can affect the result.

• Confused 1