Brit in tears after early morning collision kills motorcycle taxi rider, injures passenger in Pattaya

snoop1130

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

Even if bike driving the wrong way up the hill(perfectly normal in thailand) he couldn't have been travelling that quickly, the truck driver might not be entirely blameless, that looks like a straight piece of road in the picture and early hours so low traffic,  ...the truck may have been speeding and not paying attention to what was in front.

It might be normal here but it doesn't change the fact that it's against the the law and dangerous to everybody.

I don't have any remorse for these people who die driving dangerously they know and still take the risks so (Som nom na) to him, but at least he's no longer a danger to others.

I do feel very sorry for the innocent people who do get hurt or worse by these low lives who think the road belongs to them.

I hope the lady fully recovers from her injuries.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A witness said he saw the motorcycle going the wrong way up the hill before it collided head on with the car.

Tragic 

, the thing I don't understand is, why would you have double yellow lines in the middle of the road if its a one way street, from what I see in the photo is double yellow lines on the road, which are normally there to separate traffic going in the opposite direction of each other, i.e. do not overtake on double yellow lines.

Now the thing is, if the road authority changed it to a one way street, you would think they would have removed the double yellow lines, if they did change the direction to a one way without removing the double yellow lines, one would think they are in the wrong, suffice to say if I was going down a similar street, I would think its two way, however if people were flashing their lights at me, I would think cops ahead, but if they were flashing their lights at me and beeping their horns at me, I would have to stop and think what is going on, because usually at that hour in the early morning there wouldn't be too much traffic on the road.

RIP to the rider and hope the passenger recovers from the head trauma. 

Even if bike driving the wrong way up the hill(perfectly normal in thailand) he couldn't have been travelling that quickly, the truck driver might not be entirely blameless, that looks like a straight piece of road in the picture and early hours so low traffic,  ...the truck may have been speeding and not paying attention to what was in front.

One is also assuming the m/c had working lights.

Nothing will change here in Thailand  motor bikes driving in the wrong direction or side walks as here in Bangkok 

at least the Brit stayed and was showing Compassion to the injured 

hopefully things work out for him but as in Thailand he will no doubt share some of the blame 

13 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I really feel for this poor guy, I hope he was sober, These idiots do it all the time, and the last time I went to Jomtien immigration office at 1300hrs I was driving down Jomtien 2nd rd from Soi Chayapruck (spl) to Soi 5 and on the opposite carriageway is some farang freaking idiot wearing a singlet, and covered in tattoos, riding against the flow of traffic, what is wrong with these morons ?????

Yes its really a farang issue the counterflowing and driving on sidewalks always farangs duhhhh.

Damn near had me in tears just looking at this picture... this poor bloke has almost all my sympathies ..... I hope the passenger recovers and spreads the tale amongst other wrong way drivers... because that’s the take away.

DE4B19ED-B041-4286-9F46-DAB2F6CED978.jpeg

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Strange that compassion has him weeping over the bike driver while the bike passenger lies splattered nearby. No word if she died either but maybe the sorrowful Brit didn't see her for some reason or other.

Why say that... he cannot be in two places at once!!!...

maybe the passenger was being attended to by the emergency services & he was doing all that he could!!!

Unless you would wish him to have split himself into two & weep over both at the same time!!

15 hours ago, tonray said:

Let's hope there are no charges. This is really the government's fault as they have looked the other way as these guys do this every day to beat traffic flow. Need some real enforcement and then maybe things will get better.

Traffic flow at 2am?. Never once in 28 years have I been on motosai  taxi driving on the wrong side of the road.  This seems an odd story.

15 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Bad for all. RIP for the dead

If the motorbike was riding up the wrong side of the road, he was putting the lives of other drivers and riders at risk, so the motorbike rider is better dead than some innocent person.

Just now, The manic said:

Traffic flow at 2am?. Never once in 28 years have I been on motosai  taxi driving on the wrong side of the road.  This seems an odd story.

Just because you have never done it, that doesnt mean to say that it has never happened to anyone else

Good point, but lets not take away any blame for these morons who continually ride on the wrong side of the road.

The bike may have had something in the front basket , blocking the headlight  light , maybe the crash helmets ?

I apologise, a slight change of subject, but related..

I travel on a MC taxi about 6 times a week in Bang Yai, with sometimes speeding daredevil riders.. The driver always has the protection of a helmet, but not the poor passenger.. If I was to come off, no helmet, there could be major issues claiming on my travel insurance.. Even using a public transport vehicle, where no passengers have helmets.. Do any of you expats and tourists, riding on these as a passenger, ever use your own helmet? I'm approaching 60, and could imagine the trauma should I hit my head in a fall..

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, The manic said:

Thai's do this regardless of the time of day or traffic flow, it is habitual for them and therefore perfectly normal.

Many excuses as to why, who knows what this particular one was, maybe because the Soi he wanted to go down was near and on the opposite side of travel for him.

I've lost count of the number of times that I've seen motorbikes on the wrong side of the road, I've even nearly hit folks as I come out of my estate, they are turning right in to it and find it impossible to do this without coming in at about a 20 to 30 degree angle.

"The Briton was driving a Bangkok registered Mazda Tribute V6 said Pattaya News."

I really don't understand why in all those reports this "fact" is necessary. If so, the reg number should be more relevant so we can decide wether it's a lucky number or not...

I just can't get it, maybe it's me.

I do hope as many other posters stated that he was not drunk. And for those who "yak yak him" for not paying attentions for the passenger, well, you might not been in an accident and know how humans can react in a state of chock. 

As a former professional driver my fist accident scene was a shock. Now it's different. I have witnessed numerous of accidents and you'll be amazed how how people react during shock.

"The Briton was driving a Bangkok registered Mazda Tribute V6 said Pattaya News."

I really don't understand why in all those reports this "fact" is necessary. If so, the reg number should be more relevant so we can decide wether it's a lucky number or not...

I just can't get it, maybe it's me.

I do hope as many other posters stated that he was not drunk. And for those who "yak yak him" for not paying attentions for the passenger, well, you might not been in an accident and know how humans can react in a state of chock. 

As a former professional driver my fist accident scene was a shock. Now it's different. I have witnessed numerous of accidents and you'll be amazed how how people react during shock.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, the motor cyclist was 100% to blame, no doubt about that, but If it is proved that the truck driver was speeding, then he should be charged accordingly.

Whatever the speed of the 'truck', the motorcyclist caused the crash! 500BHT and a wai from the truck driver will suffice, if it is conclusively proven the truck was speeding. :coffee1:

3 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

What would happen in this situation if he had no license but was sober do you think? 

had many a conversation with friends about the no license issue, many say that cops just give a fine if there was an accident but of course we are talking about basic accidents,. If the bloke had no license and he was driving and the accident killed somebody  then you gotta figure the family of the deceased would be looking for big big money. I know I would.

4 hours ago, phetpeter said:

Another good reason to make sure you have a Car cam in your car, saves any chance of being blamed when you are in the right. There is no chance of the police being able to twist the facts, and assures your insurance company who is going to pay!

Not only the insurance company I'm afraid, because it has been my experience here that on many occasions the family of the deceased will seek payment (very often with the help of the BIB) from the farang for the fact that they have lost a member of the family, and even more will be sought if he was the breadwinner.

So you can be completely in the right, but be "pressured" into payment of some description.

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Not only the insurance company I'm afraid, because it has been my experience here that on many occasions the family of the deceased will seek payment (very often with the help of the BIB) from the farang for the fact that they have lost a member of the family, and even more will be sought if he was the breadwinner.

So you can be completely in the right, but be "pressured" into payment of some description.

Farang = ATM. Nothing changes.

his fault because he drove up the wrong way on the road.the car driver is at fault because he is farang and if he was not there the thai person be alive still.they could be knocking on his door for money because he killed the person. all the farangs fault and nothing to do with with what the thai done on that night.

that is the way it may go down as this happened to a friend of mine in a similar case

Archived