Brit in tears after early morning collision kills motorcycle taxi rider, injures passenger in Pattaya

snoop1130

Let's say for the sake of argument that the bike was doing 30mph and the car 40mph. Closing speed 70mph. That's just over a 100 feet per second, doesn't give the car driver a lot of leeway.

It would take a couple of seconds for him to believe what he was seeing.

We are also surmising that the headlights worked, and there wasn't shopping piled up in the basket on the front of the bike.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, roger101 said:

Let's say for the sake of argument that the bike was doing 30mph and the car 40mph. Closing speed 70mph. That's just over a 100 feet per second, doesn't give the car driver a lot of leeway.

It would take a couple of seconds for him to believe what he was seeing.

We are also surmising that the headlights worked, and there wasn't shopping piled up in the basket on the front of the bike.

Plus that there was not another car going in the opposite direction with those stupid <deleted> lights that are never aligned properly which shine in the eyes of cars going the opposite way. And a stupid brain dead motorbike taxi traveling on the wrong side of the road that gives jack s**t about the road laws or the safety of his passenger.

18 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

Even if bike driving the wrong way up the hill(perfectly normal in thailand) he couldn't have been travelling that quickly, the truck driver might not be entirely blameless, that looks like a straight piece of road in the picture and early hours so low traffic,  ...the truck may have been speeding and not paying attention to what was in front.

So the Brit gets the blame again - despite the fact that the motor bike taxi was travelling the wrong way? ("Perfectly normal in Thailand" ? - perhaps that is why Thailand's roads are the most dangerous in the world for fatalities.

You don't think that possibly the motor bike taxi might have been going the wrong way AND speeding?

No, it's the Brit's fault - if he hadn't been driving along that road the accident wouldn't have happened!

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Strange that compassion has him weeping over the bike driver while the bike passenger lies splattered nearby. No word if she died either but maybe the sorrowful Brit didn't see her for some reason or other.

..or maybe he's just unable to be in two places at the same time to be compassionate to people 50 metres apart?   And maybe the rescue personnel had told him that the woman was likely to survive (she was not "splattered"), unlike the bike rider?  

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Strange that compassion has him weeping over the bike driver while the bike passenger lies splattered nearby. No word if she died either but maybe the sorrowful Brit didn't see her for some reason or other.

Maybe you should stop banging your head against the wall because it appears that you have done yourself an injury because if you bother to read the op then you would see that the passenger was taken to hospital with a head trauma, but it does not say that she was in critical or serious condition. How do you know that the Brit did not go to her first and then to the idiot rider, you are only assuming that he did not go to her first because the photo only shows the Brit with the rider

I live on pratumnak, I can’t figure out ‘where ‘ this could have happened , unless he ( taxi ) veered over to the wrong side going up from south pattaya as the truck came down ... not so much driving the wrong way up , but judged the bend wrong , unusual for an experienced taxi driver which I would assume he was . 

2 minutes ago, Howiehotspur said:

I live on pratumnak, I can’t figure out ‘where ‘ this could have happened , unless he ( taxi ) veered over to the wrong side going up from south pattaya as the truck came down ... not so much driving the wrong way up , but judged the bend wrong , unusual for an experienced taxi driver which I would assume he was . 

Maybe, just maybe he tried to cut the corner and went onto the wrong side of the road into the path of the SUV

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What are you expecting him to do, self-replicate?

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Its not unusual for motorbikes to be on the opposite side of the road near the curb, you have to look out for it, maybe the car driver wasn't paying attention.

I would suggest the biker was not paying attention to the safety of his paying passenger.

Thai folk who drive on the wrong side of the road, which is against the law, must be held responsible for their actions...

37 minutes ago, Howiehotspur said:

Almost opposite the entrance to Unixx condo. In the attached picture, impact very close to where the silver car is on the downhill side of Pratumnak, coming into town, just before the traffic lights.

5a7c253b9099c_hit(Small).jpg.c708bb446dc55c9aa3de5d22d7d228a9.jpg

I would suggest the biker was not paying attention to the safety of his paying passenger.
Thai folk who drive on the wrong side of the road, which is against the law, must be held responsible for their actions...
I guess any witnesses might know whether the taxi rider was just going up by the curb, I'm not sure i could live with the guilt if i killed someone doing what 10s of thousands of people do daily

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Almost opposite the entrance to Unixx condo. In the attached picture, impact very close to where the silver car is on the downhill side of Pratumnak, coming into town, just before the traffic lights.

Thanks for posting this photo, you are correct about the point of impact being close to where the silver car is.

My question is what was the motorbike taxi doing so far out from the edge of the road traveling in the wrong direction? Why wasn't he close to the edge of the road? You can clearly see in the photo where the Brit is over the Thai rider that his car is in the lane where the silver car is.

4 hours ago, GBW said:

To me it clearly looks that it is 2 way road. I dont live there but.  In the photo's on the uphill side (left) there are road signs for oncoming uphill traffic????????

I just Goggled the exact spot where the accident occurred, and Google maps show it as a two way street, i.e. where the farang was driving, there are two lanes down the hill, a smaller one is to the left of his car, probably for motorbikes, but I am baffled as to how the taxi rider ended up on the side of the road the farangs car was on, as there is a lane for cars/bikes to go up on the opposite side of his car, i.e. one lane up towards the hill, and two lanes coming down the hill, with the smaller of the two on the left of the car, except the car hit the bike head on.

The farang is clearly in the right here.

7 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Yup to both your comments. 500BHT and wai does sound excessive for an innocent party. :smile:

Not if the Brit has consumed alchohol which is very likely at 2am - hopefully he has not....awaiting the test result (if any)...

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

i know the area well and use that road 2 or 3 times a day i would of thought they would of both seen each other unless the bike rider was just not paying attention and looking around in a dream like most thais seem to do when using a bike or a car. i cant see it being the car drivers fault at all. RIP

lOOKING AT THE ROAD SITUATION,THAT APPEARS TO BE ONE LANE ON THE SIDE HE GOT KILLED ON,THE OTHER SIDE APPEARS TO BE DOUBLE LANE,IT SEEMS TO ME THE FARANG WOULD HAVE LITTLE OR NO CHANCE OF MISSING THE MOTORCYCLE,UNLESS HE WAS VERY NEAR THE INNER EDGE,IN THAT CASE THEN THE FARANG MAY BE PARTLY TO BLAME.RIP TO THE MAN,BUT THATS THE WAY IT APPEARS TO ME ANYWAY,I JUST HOPE THE FARANG WAS NOT DRUNK.DRIVING SLOW OR FAST IT WOULD NOT BE EASY TO MISS THE BIKE ESPECIALLY WITH TWO LANES COMING IN THE OPPOSITE WAY.
Feel free to edit your post to lower caps.

I know the road well, i was going down there this morning. You'd expect the pickup to see the taxi bike, it wouldn't be busy, the exception would be if the taxi bike had no lights, not uncommon to see no lights

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Thanks for posting this photo, you are correct about the point of impact being close to where the silver car is.

My question is what was the motorbike taxi doing so far out from the edge of the road traveling in the wrong direction? Why wasn't he close to the edge of the road? You can clearly see in the photo where the Brit is over the Thai rider that his car is in the lane where the silver car is.

The 11 month-old google earth street-view imagery where I got that picture indicates a bus parking lot entrance just downhill from the estimated point of impact (opposite side of street from Unixx). Maybe the moto-taxi shot out of there thinking the roads are quiet at 2.30 AM? If the nearside roadside shrubbery and signage is still as it is in the picture, the moto-taxi guy would need the front wheel on the blacktop to see up the hill... and we all know how good the locals are at emerging cautiously onto main roads. From the pictures, the bike was pretty much t-boned by the SUV so broadside across the oncoming traffic.

As long as “anything goes” with motorcycle drivers, (they seem to be a privileged group that don’t have to follow the rules, ( go against on-coming traffic the wrong way; driving on sidewalks; zig-zagging between cars on multiple lanes; making an illegal U-turn..,) this kind of population “control” will continue. 

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The 11 month-old google earth street-view imagery where I got that picture indicates a bus parking lot entrance just downhill from the estimated point of impact (opposite side of street from Unixx). Maybe the moto-taxi shot out of there thinking the roads are quiet at 2.30 AM? If the nearside roadside shrubbery and signage is still as it is in the picture, the moto-taxi guy would need the front wheel on the blacktop to see up the hill... and we all know how good the locals are at emerging cautiously onto main roads. From the pictures, the bike was pretty much t-boned by the SUV so broadside across the oncoming traffic.

theirs a good chance you got this spot on as i know this road very well.

I'm not sure. There is the Manita Boutique hotel just further down, possibly he came out of there. Bush mountain slip road where buses park is further up. One taxi bike group is just down the hill a bit more

Archived