Brit in tears after early morning collision kills motorcycle taxi rider, injures passenger in Pattaya

snoop1130

6 hours ago, smedly said:

I am not going to pretend to know what happened here but none of it makes sense

2am ...no traffic, very wide road, why would anyone be on the wrong side of the road

nothing about this news report makes sense to me

Just saying

RIP and very tragic

I am not making any excuses, but I have seen riders on the wrong side of the road to avoid driving a couple of km out of the way to make a u-turn. 

It may be common but it is not normal. 

Perhaps a version of Russian roulette now called Thai Roulette 

Either way even though he was wrong I still hope the driver will rest in peace and wish a full recovery to the passenger. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Strange that compassion has him weeping over the bike driver while the bike passenger lies splattered nearby. No word if she died either but maybe the sorrowful Brit didn't see her for some reason or other.

Looks for me as if he feels very guilty. Maybe speeding AND drunk? 

By the way.... A foreigner is always at fault because if he didn't come to Thailand the accident would not have occured. Next to this a minivan driver, bus driver, truck driver, taxi driver and mc taxi driver are considered to be professionals. They know how to drive because they are professionals and they're having driving licenses for professionals. 

It occured to me in Bangkok in 2014, while waiting for a red traffic light, a taxi bumped in to my rear end of my motorcycle with about 60 km/h. Who's fault??? Not the taxi drivers as he was a professional according to Huay Kwang police. It was my fault that I stopped / waited for a red light, if I would not have stopped / waited the taxi would not have hit me... Thai philosophy !!!

15 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Whatever the speed of the 'truck', the motorcyclist caused the crash! 500BHT and a wai from the truck driver will suffice, if it is conclusively proven the truck was speeding. :coffee1:

"500BHT and a wai",???? The truck driver is a Farang. 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Tragic 

, the thing I don't understand is, why would you have double yellow lines in the middle of the road if its a one way street, from what I see in the photo is double yellow lines on the road, which are normally there to separate traffic going in the opposite direction of each other, i.e. do not overtake on double yellow lines.

Now the thing is, if the road authority changed it to a one way street, you would think they would have removed the double yellow lines, if they did change the direction to a one way without removing the double yellow lines, one would think they are in the wrong, suffice to say if I was going down a similar street, I would think its two way, however if people were flashing their lights at me, I would think cops ahead, but if they were flashing their lights at me and beeping their horns at me, I would have to stop and think what is going on, because usually at that hour in the early morning there wouldn't be too much traffic on the road.

RIP to the rider and hope the passenger recovers from the head trauma. 

To me it clearly looks that it is 2 way road. I dont live there but.  In the photo's on the uphill side (left) there are road signs for oncoming uphill traffic????????

6 hours ago, smedly said:

I am not going to pretend to know what happened here but none of it makes sense

2am ...no traffic, very wide road, why would anyone be on the wrong side of the road

nothing about this news report makes sense to me

Just saying

RIP and very tragic

why would anyone be on the wrong side of the road

I'm not pretending to know, but a possible reason would be if the bike was on the wrong side of the road before, and turned onto the road where the accident occurred, so driving on the wrong side of the road for a while.

47 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:

"The Briton was driving a Bangkok registered Mazda Tribute V6 said Pattaya News."

I really don't understand why in all those reports this "fact" is necessary. If so, the reg number should be more relevant so we can decide wether it's a lucky number or not...

I just can't get it, maybe it's me.

I do hope as many other posters stated that he was not drunk. And for those who "yak yak him" for not paying attentions for the passenger, well, you might not been in an accident and know how humans can react in a state of chock. 

As a former professional driver my fist accident scene was a shock. Now it's different. I have witnessed numerous of accidents and you'll be amazed how how people react during shock.

You drove professionally?  Ferrari?  Formula 1?

Or do you mean you were a bus driver for many years? 

Some of the worst driving I have ever seen was by 'professional'truck drivers.... Most taking speed to keep awake. 

46 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Whatever the speed of the 'truck', the motorcyclist caused the crash! 500BHT and a wai from the truck driver will suffice, if it is conclusively proven the truck was speeding. :coffee1:

Or if the driver was drunk.  Fair chance in that area at that time of the morning. 

A lot of speculation here based on photos.  Maybe the Brit was that drunk and distraught about what he faces that he was crying and holding the taxi driver..... May not have been any compassion involved. 

But as I said.... All speculation on this thread.  Brit good.... Thai bad.

SOP. 

Let's see if there is a follow up to this story with some real facts before we sit in judgement. 

6 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Or if the driver was drunk.  Fair chance in that area at that time of the morning. 

A lot of speculation here based on photos.  Maybe the BrIt was that drunk and distraught about what he faces that he was crying and holding the taxi driver..... May not have been any compassion involved. 

But as I said.... All speculation on this thread.  Brit good.... Thai bad.

SOP. 

The speculation is based on no indication that the Brit had been drinking and it was the motorcycle rider who was on the wrong side of the road. However, your speculation is based on the 'time' alone and nothing else... 

Had the Brit been charged with DUI or had been driving on the wrong side of the road I'm quite certain there would be a significant negative sentiment towards the Brit. 

The majority of comments all appear to have very little to do with Brit good.... Thai Bad... and much to do with this specific circumstance... Motorcycle rider bad, car driver innocent (regardless of nationality)... 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

The speculation is based on no indication that the Brit had been drinking and it was the motorcycle rider who was on the wrong side of the road. However, your speculation is based on the 'time' alone and nothing else... 

Had the Brit been charged with DUI or had been driving on the wrong side of the road I'm quite certain there would be a significant negative sentiment towards the Brit. 

The majority of comment all appear to have very little to do with Brit good.... Thai Bad... and much to do with this specific circumstance... Motorcycle rider bad, car driver innocent (regardless of nationality). 

The majority of the posts were about poor Thai driving abilities.  Not about the actual thread. 

Let's wait and see if there is a follow up to this. 

My bet is the Brit was drunk. That hill.... Those ladies.... That time. 

Only my guess and happy to be proven wrong for the Brit's sake. 

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

You drove professionally?  Ferrari?  Formula 1?

Or do you mean you were a bus driver for many years? 

Some of the worst driving I have ever seen was by 'professional'truck drivers.... Most taking speed to keep awake. 

I was a international truck driver in Europe back in the times when Swedes wore regarded and rankt among the best drivers in the world. Now there are losers from cheep counties (Romania and Bulgaria) who don't even know how to shift gears that drive on the roads. PLS don't compare that crap to professional drivers;)

[Edit] BTW, you didn't se my point in my statement, didn't you?

16 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

Even if bike driving the wrong way up the hill(perfectly normal in thailand) he couldn't have been travelling that quickly, the truck driver might not be entirely blameless, that looks like a straight piece of road in the picture and early hours so low traffic,  ...the truck may have been speeding and not paying attention to what was in front.

Crap............:saai:

If the taxi was obeying the rules and driving in the proper direction in the correct lane this would not have happened.
99% of vehicle collisions are preventable, in this case, if following the rules, there would not have been a fatal head-on collision.

The Thai's should get on with some form of traffic rules enforcement.

A pound to a penny the motorbike rider had no lights on to “save the bulb” it’s crazy how they will ride the wrong way along the road with no lights but can’t see the bigger picture like a car not seeing them, idiots. 

Brigante7.

2 minutes ago, hstew said:

If the taxi was obeying the rules and driving in the proper direction in the correct lane this would not have happened.
99% of vehicle collisions are preventable, in this case, if following the rules, there would not have been a fatal head-on collision.

The Thai's should get on with some form of traffic rules enforcement.

Please pay attention

1 minute ago, Brigante7 said:

A pound to a penny the motorbike rider had no lights on to “save the bulb” it’s crazy how they will ride the wrong way along the road with no lights but can’t see the bigger picture like a car not seeing them, idiots. 

Brigante7.

Yet we have a poster that condemns the farang bloke driving on the correct side of the road and probably with his lights on....

15 minutes ago, Brigante7 said:

Brigante7.

This is one of many reason I have a dash cam. You just can't prove a "broken" light bulb after the accident otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Brigante7 said:

I'm not sure how a truck with its lights on wouldn't see a motorbike
(with or without lights) directly in front of the beam.

3 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

But last second avoidance could have been the problem...If the truck was doing 30mph and the bike was doing the same then we have a 60mph ploblem...

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Motorcycle rider on the wrong side of the road, it would be difficult for the pickup driver to swerve to the opposite (wrong) side of the road - and if he had and the Motorcycle swerved to the correct side of the road then the Brit would be at fault...  

IMO, there is not much that the Brit could have done, he was on the right side of the road, a motorcyclist with a passenger hit him.... thats pretty much it or so it seems.

He was on a straight piece of road in the early hours with no traffic, the Brit could have simply stopped the truck and let the motorbike either drive around him or drive into him.

---------------

I've seen drivers go unknowingly into a one way street in Europe and everyone driving the correct way slows down and signals to the driver its a one way street. Nobody ever died!!!!

Just because the Brit was on the corect side of the road doesn't mean he was entirely blameless, for eg:

What if the Brit was 3 times over the limit and as a result didn't see the motorbike ...blameless?

What if the Brit was looking for something in the back seat when he hit the motorbike ...blameless?

What if the Brit was 3 times over the limit and looking for something in the back seat when he hit the motorbike ...blameless?

Just because the motorbike was on the wrong side of the road doesn't automatically mean you have a free pass to drive into the bike and cause severe injuries and be free from all blame.

This is Thailand, where its normal for a mb to drive the wrong way, its something you have to be aware of and look out for when driving here.

As, I said before, straight piece of road. early hours so almost no traffic, how did he not see the bike?

10 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

Oncoming lights render any chancers playing Russian roulette completely invisible.

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Oncoming lights render any chancers playing Russian roulette completely invisible.

If you are saying the Brit was blinded by the lights of the bike, then he should have stopped the truck not continued to drive ...on the straight piece of road with almost zero traffic.

3 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

If you are saying the Brit was blinded by the lights of the bike, then he should have stopped the truck not continued to drive ...on the straight piece of road with almost zero traffic.

A driver would know full well what I meant! :sad:

Which is it? Schoolkid or Troll!

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

A driver knows full well what I meant!

Which is it? Schoolkid or Troll?

I would say troll, because if he could drive he would also know that if a car comes toward you with its lights on then there is a blind spot but this bloke is too stupid to be able to accept things like that so he just trolls

8 minutes ago, evadgib said:

A driver would know full well what I meant! :sad:

Which is it? Schoolkid or Troll!

Are you offended because I clarified what you meant?  Nothing to do with being a driver, your English just wasn't very clear is all.

Your weak point was defeated so you run to the troll accusation,  I'm going to choose you're a school kid?

Archived