New A350-1000 stops in Thailand on demonstration tour across the region

rooster59

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

18-inch-wide comfort economy class seats   :cheesy:

I hope that's a misprint.

Cost a bit move but so much more is given back.

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/flying-with-eva/our-cabin-classes/elite-and-evergreen-deluxe-class/onboard/

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Are they still trying to flog those?

I believe so, although as long as the Board insists on a price which is far-higher than they're being offered, then they probably won't succeed in finding buyers  ...  OTOH they won't get blamed for having sold at below book-value. :wink:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-12/no-a340-buyers-so-thai-air-grounds-planes-even-with-cheap-oil

https://www.aerotime.aero/en/aviation-finance/finance/17302-thai-Airways-strives-to-sell-its-a340s

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/52952-former-thai-airways-intl-exec-urges-probe-of-a340-purchases

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Thai Airways-stored-a340.htm   shows nine (out of the original ten) still there.

Although they did reportedly manage to transfer one across to the RTAF  ...

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/46388-royal-thai-air-force-acquires-an-a340

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EddieBaBaBoBo said:

Longhaul premium economy seat width is 16.2 - 21 inches according to SeatGuru:

https://www.seatguru.com/charts/premium_economy.php

So, 18 inches is on the low side for my fat @$$.

It isn't usually a nether region problem, these narrow seats, as a shoulder problem. These horrible new seats don't take into account that one is wider at the shoulders than the hips. Get a middle seat on an Mrats 777 and be prepared for either doing battle with your neighbours or sitting with your arms above your head for the entire flight.

And they wonder why air rage is on the increase...

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

" the aircraft took off for a special one-hour flight yesterday afternoon with representatives from the government, " how much commission is it on one of these ?

regards worgeordie

It's called "in flight negotiations" ;-) 

20 hours ago, yogavnture said:

let the 380 die

With several years' ongoing-production currently sold, and a working-life of over 20-years, they're going to be flying the busiest hub-to-hub routes for many years to come, thank goodness.  :smile:

I recently managed to fly all four legs of BKK-DOH-BKK return on A380s, in the frequent-flyer economy-cabin upstairs, it's much roomier & quieter than the jam-packed B777-200s/300s operated by the same airline.  A delight to fly, for us passengers, and I shall continue to seek them out where I can do.

The problem is that the economics for airlines have been changed, by the development of fuel-efficient long-haul wide-bodied twin-jets by both main manufacturers, which has enabled all sorts of 'thinner' point-to-point routes to be operated on reasonable frequencies at-a-profit.  Both Boeing and Airbus compete successfully in this market-niche too, to the benefit of the customers, and long may that continue. The A350-series is part of that trend.

I can see a time coming in the medium/long-term, as the number of Asian travellers soars further from the relatively-limited runways/airspace available, that these ultra-large passenger giants will be an important part of the mix.  Indeed Asian airlines are already finding that the A380 suits their longer-haul routes, China Southern & Thai International & Asiana & Singapore Airways & ANA & Korean Air all operate them.  While other airlines fly A380s into Asian destinations too, Qantas & Lufthansa & the Gulf-based three, for example.

I'm sure (too far back to remember personally !) that similar criticisms were initially made about the B747, despite which it went on to change the face of global travel, and still operates successfully on many routes. It heralded an age of affordable travel for the masses, that's me ! :biggrin:

The A380 is not another Concorde, although some might argue that it was launched too far ahead of its greatest economic need.

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, Cadbury said:

Saw a few of these coming and going from Noi Bai airport Hanoi more than a week ago. Wondered what they were.

Seems they were operating in full service yet the Thai ones are only in demo mode catering for government officials (military and civil service freeloaders).

No doubt the PM will soak up the limelight again and make a media opportunity of it and put on some corny hammed up act to be the first Thai person to buy a ticket.....just like he did with the vanishing blue buses over a year ago.

"Seems they were operating in full service yet the Thai ones are only in demo mode catering for government officials".

Seems not. They are not "Thai ones", from the OP...

"The jet’s visit to Bangkok is part of a three-week demonstration tour that is bringing the A350-1000 test aircraft across the Asia-Pacific region".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

I recently managed to fly all four legs of BKK-DOH-BKK return on A380s, in the frequent-flyer economy-cabin upstairs, it's much roomier & quieter than the jam-packed B777-200s/300s operated by the same airline.  A delight to fly, for us passengers, and I shall continue to seek them out where I can do.

That little niche upstairs is perfect, low volume of passengers, dedicated service staff and 2 seat window with a nice comfortable ledge. It's the only aircraft i enjoy economy, although the business class and first class are  also exceptional, unlike the B777, never understand why you have to get up and shuffle past your neighbour in a premium cabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"Seems they were operating in full service yet the Thai ones are only in demo mode catering for government officials".

Seems not. They are not "Thai ones", from the OP...

"The jet’s visit to Bangkok is part of a three-week demonstration tour that is bringing the A350-1000 test aircraft across the Asia-Pacific region".

And you were there in Noi Bai airport Hanoi  yourself to know this? I would say Just Weird to that!

26 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

And you were there in Noi Bai airport Hanoi  yourself to know this? I would say Just Weird to that!

I don't need to be in Hanoi to read the OP here that described what the plane was doing in the region.  Why would they be doing the rounds in Asia Pacific with a demonstrator if they were already in full service in Hanoi?

Based on the OP it's unlikely but you could be right, so which airline was the plane that you saw in full service with?

Edited by Just Weird

35 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

There's only one test aircraft on tour in Asia, with the airbus 1000 livery.

It may have taken off more than twice and that's what you saw.

http://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2018/01/a350-1000-begins-demonstration-tour-in-the-middle-east-and-asia-.html

15 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I can see a time coming in the medium/long-term, as the number of Asian travellers soars further from the relatively-limited runways/airspace available, that these ultra-large passenger giants will be an important part of the mix.  Indeed Asian airlines are already finding that the A380 suits their longer-haul routes, China Southern & Thai International & Asiana & Singapore Airways & ANA & Korean Air all operate them.  While other airlines fly A380s into Asian destinations too, Qantas & Lufthansa & the Gulf-based three, for example.

I agree with this, but some airlines never went the A380 route and with orders declining and production dropping to 6 a year, it could be they may not be available when the high traveler numbers do arrive, Singapore have already pensioned off their first A380, by not renewing its 10 year lease.

So, 18 inches is on the low side for my fat @$$.

United has taken a nice step with their Polaris business class configuration, but a real step backward in economy and economy plus, where the dreaded 3-3-3 configuration is now the ridiculous 3-4-3 configuration. And the seat width, both economy and economy plus, is 17 inches! Thirteen hours NRT-IAD in one of those seats, especially a middle one, would be unbearable.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_777-300ER.php

Sorry for the thread creep -- but forget number of engines when you fly -- but don't forget to check SeatGuru.