Uncontested divorce

John Gamble

Dear Members, 

Myself and the wife went to Sathorn district office in an attempt to get divorced. We were told we needed more documents. We had our Thai marriage certificates, her ID card with copies, my passport with copies, her tabien baan copies. I have been told to go to the British Embassy to get a legalized copy of my passport. I also need to get a legalized copy of our daughter’s birth certificate. I then need to get both translated into Thai and then stamped at Chaeng Watthana. 

FYI, Our daughter has a British passport and is a British citizen. Born in the UK after we got married. We got married at Sathorn office too. Is this really correct information? My Wife isn’t the sharpest tool in the toolbox and fear she may have misunderstood what was said. Thanks in advance.Q

That is a load of BS by that office. None of the "legalised" documents are needed, as long as you have original marriage certificate and your passport.

Unfortunately, this being Thailand they can make up anything they like.

Use a different office, but check with them first what documents they need.

I was married in Pattaya and divorced in Lamphun.

Don't see what your daughter has to do with it.

Either they are looking for something "extra", in which your wife should find out, or they are <deleted>.

BTW, obtain the blank document you will be signing and get it translated so you know what is in it. Don't sign if you might be giving up rights to your child or something.

Personally, if they jerk you around too much and you can't do it somewhere else, you can just make a declaration that you are separating and let the court give you a divorce after 2 or 3 years. 

When I went to an amphur office to get my (uncontested) divorce with my lawyer and wife present, they told us we had to have a certified copy of my passport OR go to the amphur office where we were married. My lawyer is very reliable, and speaks very good English, so no translation or tea money issues.

Off we went to the amphur where we got married, and it was all done and dusted in an hour, with nothing other than original marriage certificates and tabian baan.

But, lets face it, its nothing unusual for Thai government offices to make up their own rules and/or expect some extra 'service charges' to be paid, is it?

• Thanks 1

The first time my ex and I tried for an uncontested divorce was at Udon Thani and the officer there would not do it because I did not have an interpreter but 2 days later we went to the Amphur at Min Buri and all we needed was the

application form and the original and copy of each of the following: wedding certificate, Khor Ror 2, my passport, my ex wifes ID, her House Book, two witnesses ID's and the fee was 20 baht and took 15 minutes with no interpreter, so each office is different.