Another Price Hike

Has anyone noticed that in the last 10 days beer and cigarette prices have gone up again?

We had the price rises due to tax changes late last year, but now in February we get another round of increases, why?

Nothing in the press I have seen, but my own observation shopping tells me this is a fact.

Anyone with information on this pleased comment.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 12:47 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

My brand of cigs have gone up 8 baht in the last week at 7-eleven and beer I buy about 2-3 baht a bottle in supermarkets in 10 days or so too.

Cigs

Change brands or learn to roll your own.

Beer,

Change brands or switch to a cheaper alternative (Red Cock Vodka from Tesco, 150bht/bottle)

Or you could just shop outside the 7-11/Tesco monopoly, Mom and Pop stores are usually cheaper.

There are very few price rises that can't be avoided, with little or no loss to lifestyle. 

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

There was an announcement a couple of weeks ago about tax increase of about 2% or so. 

back in September L&M gone up from 87 to 99, I changed to Winston which was 87 (no idea how much it was before September though). Last week Winston gone up to 95, L&M still 99. However I found 1 lotus express shop that still has Winston for 87. Cashier told me only me+1 more customer smoke those....

Interesting since the tax rises the better quality Thai rolling tobacco is in very short supply and not available for weeks at a time in some cases

The packets when you can get them have tax paid labels/stickers on as before they didn't

Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I have an issue against a government determining what is OK for a person to do to his or her body..

I oppose that kind of meddling as long as I don't have to cover the cost of the persons activity.

That being said I have to admit while smoke per se doesn't bother me, I'm not partial to the smell I get on my clothes after being near a smoker  or a smoky environment.

To each his own, I say.

I think a government which fully subsidizes healthcare does have the right to heavily tax harmful habits. 

They're simply trying to reduce their costs. A user pay system like the US it would be the health insurers who boost premiums for smokers. Same result.

• Like 1

Just now, duanebigsby said:

I think a government which fully subsidizes healthcare does have the right to heavily tax harmful habits. 

Two biggest killers are heart disease and RTA.

So let's look forward to 1 hour compulsory government exercise every morning, enforced dieting for all those overweight along with the  banning of all personal transport faster than a bicycle..

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Two biggest killers are heart disease and RTA.

So let's look forward to 1 hour compulsory government exercise every morning, enforced dieting for all those overweight along with the  banning of all personal transport faster than a bicycle..

You're just being ridiculous by highlighting the extremes. Cigarettes and alcohol are easy targets to regulate. Obesity and exercise, impossible to regulate and will never happen. "Personal transport faster than a bicycle"? You pulled that out of your ass.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

My mum had, & died from Parkinson's so I can relate to your reply, very nicely put if I may say :smile:

Sorry to hear that.  Neither are nice afflictions.  My friends wife had Alzheimer's and unfortunately he had a heart attack and died. She starved to death, which,  from what I understand is not uncommon.  I should add they lived in a fairly sparsely populated area where it is not unusual to  not see the neighbours for days or even weeks.  To make matters worse they were both eaten by wild pigs post mortem. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, poohy said:

Interesting since the tax rises the better quality Thai rolling tobacco is in very short supply and not available for weeks at a time in some cases

The packets when you can get them have tax paid labels/stickers on as before they didn't

Most of it is grown along the Mekong river in Northern Isaan, ie Nong Khai, Bung Khan etc. I'm not far from there, and there has been no shortage around here. Same as normal. It's all I smoke, since 2003.

Tax labels have been on there for a long time now, over a year.

11 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Most of it is grown along the Mekong river in Northern Isaan, ie Nong Khai, Bung Khan etc. I'm not far from there, and there has been no shortage around here. Same as normal. It's all I smoke, since 2003.

Tax labels have been on there for a long time now, over a year.

We used to buy good stuff in BKK once a month "Anchor"I think it was called , Anyway since tax increases its virtually disappeared now  Mrs used to buy in Phrapadeang markets in BKK and shop owners now saying they just cant get it or enough of it .

Not like its new brand, been around for years Strange

Re rolling tobacco - 50g for 400baht golden virginia imported. Decent rolling papers very expensive here so I get a years supply when I visit the UK.  5packs rizla £1 here the costs 50baht - a big difference!!!!

Tried the local tobacco - once was enough!!!

On 2/13/2018 at 6:24 AM, alex8912 said:

Because when the price of something goes up and you complain about it as you did it's a good time to quit.

Using this logic, we should quit eating food cuz the prices rise.

This goes to that age old premise of MYOB.

2 minutes ago, quandow said:

Using this logic, we should quit eating food cuz the prices rise.

This goes to that age old premise of MYOB.

Next time put my FULL quote in.  This topic was about the price of cigarettes going up which I'm SURE you smoke. Your logic is actually moronic. Keep puffing away and defend those who do!   Smokers also affect the health industry in general and that's also a huge negative and unnecessary expense to everyone.