How much money to retire in Thailand.

outofafrica

32 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

15 million THB at a  very minimum for emergencies in my opinion.

Better to have a greater cushion if possible.

If you have an insurance, for what you need 15 million baht emergency money?

For the OP, what I see little bit dangerous is with the health Insurance from his wife. because what happens if he become a cronic condition and the wife run away? THen he not will find a new insurance who cover. Or will the government Insurance still pays if the wife dies before him?

I hear again and again, that people over 60 will become problems go obtain an health insurance so start early enough before any cronic conditions start...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Bad news sells, Nancy. That's why on Thai Visa we hear constant stories of the broke, sick, sad losers. Very few stories of the retirees who see out their lives happy and contented, with wives and girlfriends who take much better care of them than they would get from a woman back in their home country. Those people would never appear at the doors of Lanna Care Net. Statisticians call it a biased sample of a population.

Now what was that you were saying about idiots on TV?

That is the same as many trash TV (Television). Nobody want see successful stories. everybody want see how other people fail. 

And which successful people you read in here at ThaiVisa?

Since you are an older gentleman with a girlfriend, I would recommend at least $2000 USD per month (2500 AUD).  You will need money for health related things, and money for taking your gf on vacation sometimes.  1600 AUD per month is not enough to be comfortable.  You will be stressing about every purchase over 500 baht.

amykat's post was fantastic.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 2/14/2018 at 1:14 AM, smotherb said:

Well, he has yet to know if he will marry or even stay with his current girlfriend. So, if she goes, he has no house, no car, and certainly no wife's insurance. Don't you think he would be better off having enough to live without those potential bennies? As you said, you had B100k/mo when you came, now down to B70k/mo. If he does marry, then he can afford to give to their home together.

I will be able to survive without the Girlfriend House and Car. I know my capabilities!!!! 

8 minutes ago, outofafrica said:

8 minutes ago, outofafrica said:

!

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Is there any need for you to be offensive to other posters?

You come on here seeking advice, then when a person posts something you dont like you get offensive.

You posted about your girlfriends health insurance, saying you would use that, when i pointed out you could not use it, you commented you knew that, well if that was the case why did you post it?

I will be over in Match/April do you want to repeat that in my face or are you happy hiding behind a key board!!!

If you take your blinkers off and read all post you will see that when we marry i will be able to go onto her medical.Does that make sence???

Edited by outofafrica
  • Confused 1

I think if the wife dies the surviving spouse health coverage continues as well as her parents.   Can someone verify this?

It would be nice if the guy who says you need 15 mill for emergency would say where you park that money and what it's purpose is for? 

10 hours ago, watcharacters said:

15 million THB at a  very minimum for emergencies in my opinion.

Better to have a greater cushion if possible.

Of course 15 million THB for emergencies would be good, 30 million THB would be even better. However, what kind of emergency would cost 15 million THB?

The cost of a heart bypass operation at Bangkok hospital (a good hospital in Bangkok) costs a maximum of $42k USD (works out to about 1.4 million THB).  So while I agree that 15 million THB would be a good cushion for any possible emergency, I completely disagree that it is a minimum or that more is a requirement for living here. Routine procedures are even more affordable, I spent 3 nights and 5 days in a private hospital in Nang Rong a few years ago for an upper urinary tract infection.Total cost for the stay, including food was less than $600 USD (~20,000 THB). I thought the level of care was good, and I had a private room.

If you have 15-30 million THB ($450,000-$990,000 USD)  in cash more power to you, but it is not a very reasonable statement to say that it is anywhere near a minimum.  Not many people (except maybe Trump) retiring in Europe or the USA have anywhere near that sort of nest egg stashed away for retirement, let alone a cushion in case of emergencies during that retirement.

• Thanks 1

I think 

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Bad news sells, Nancy. That's why on Thai Visa we hear constant stories of the broke, sick, sad losers. Very few stories of the retirees who see out their lives happy and contented, with wives and girlfriends who take much better care of them than they would get from a woman back in their home country. 

What a bunch of crap.

Do you have any facts to support this silly statement with?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, outofafrica said:

I will be able to survive without the Girlfriend House and Car. I know my capabilities!!!! 

Perhaps you've missed the point of YOUR post; You wanted to know if you had enough to live on here considering you could get on her insurance and she has a house and car; did you not?

If you know your capabilities so well, why are you asking?

• Like 1