Police search Wat Rai Khing for suspect luxury vehicle

snoop1130

Police search Wat Rai Khing for suspect luxury vehicle

By Somkid Phrommee 
The Nation

9356644522624442ab02f92b6ea478ea.jpeg

Counter-Corruption Division officers searched Nakhon Pathom's famous Wat Rai Khing on Tuesday morning after a tip-off about a luxury car that might have been linked to the temple fund embezzlement scandal.

CCD investigation superintendent Pol Colonel Panya Klaprasert, and his deputy Pol Colonel Athikhom Apichayanukulkij, led the team at 7.30am to search a large monks’ residence building where the luxury car was believed to be kept. It was suspected that the vehicle had been bought with money embezzled by National Office of Buddhism officials. 

Abbot assistant Phra Rattanasuthee (Ruam Kloy-arun) demanded to see the credentials of the officers before leading them to inspect a Bt1.95 million Mercedes-Benz Vito van, a Toyota van, a Chevrolet sedan, and a Mercedes-Benz S280 sedan. 

The first three vehicles were registered under Phra Rattanasuthee's name while the fourth was registered to his 45-year-old chauffeur, Wanchai Jindawong.

Phra Rattanasuthee told the officers that the vehicles had been bought legally and donated for the temple's use by devout disciples. He said the Mercedes-Benz S280 sedan was put under Wanchai's name for convenience in renewing car registration and other documents. 

The monk also agreed to give further information at the CCD office on Friday.

Wanchai said police might be looking for a black van that someone at the National Office of Buddhism had sent to the temple for use on a trial basis three years ago. 

He said that vehicle broke down on the first day of use and it was sent back.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30338748

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-2-13

It was suspected that the vehicle had been bought with money embezzled by National Office of Buddhism officials. 

The first three vehicles were registered under Phra Rattanasuthee's name while the fourth was registered to his 45-year-old chauffeur, Wanchai Jindawong.

Phra Rattanasuthee told the officers that the vehicles had been bought legally and donated for the temple's use by devout disciples. He said the Mercedes-Benz S280 sedan was put under Wanchai's name for convenience in renewing car registration and other documents. 

"for convenience in renewing car registration and other documents."  You can't make this up, can you? Innit?

A relative of the Sisaket monks? Buddha always told others who were on their way to enlightenment to drive Benz and to use helicopters/Learjets. 

Monkey business.jpg

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Even the chauffeur gets in on the action on the thievery that goes on within the temples.

Couldn't help but ask myself some questions the other day when flying from Udon Thani to BKK. It strikes home when you see it in "real time".

There they were, all seven of them sitting in the reserved lounge armchairs at the boarding gate. Playing with their smartphones and touchpads. On the plane they perched in the Premium seats all wearing their fashion sunglasses.

And this funded by the devoted poor in the local villages.There may be a few good ones but how I detest these cockroaches.

Time Rentokil were brought in for a cockroach extermination campaign. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Even the chauffeur gets in on the action on the thievery that goes on within the temples.

Couldn't help but ask myself some questions the other day when flying from Udon Thani to BKK. It strikes home when you see it in "real time".

There they were, all seven of them sitting in the reserved lounge armchairs at the boarding gate. Playing with their smartphones and touchpads. On the plane they perched in the Premium seats all wearing their fashion sunglasses.

And this funded by the devoted poor in the local villages.There may be a few good ones but how I detest these cockroaches.

Agree absolutely.

Having said that, I've only seen those 'cockroaches' in news articles, never in real life. I obviously need to get out more. Or buy the I Spy Book of Dodgy Monks.

Looks like flying could be the method of choice to spot one (or more) of these, after all the first one I can remember about was on a private flight with all that material crap I assume they should ideally renounce.

He's the one who in time-honoured tradition ran away abroad - to the US, now fighting extradition back to Thailand. Couldn't have been able to push the envelope far enough across the Atlantic to reach the correct recipient.