Amlo seeks permanent seizure of wrongdoers’ assets worth almost Bt4.9 billion

webfact

Amlo seeks permanent seizure of wrongdoers’ assets worth almost Bt4.9 billion

By The Nation

179922a33130c93285042681b0245a68.jpeg

File photo: Amlo deputy secretary-general Pol Major-General Romsit Weeriyasan

The Anti-Money Laundering Office (Amlo) has been pursuing the permanent seizure of wrongdoers’ assets worth nearly Bt4.9 billion, which will either be turned into state property or returned to fraud victims.

Amlo deputy secretary-general Pol Major-General Romsit Weeriyasan revealed on Tuesday that in response to the Transaction Committee’s resolution, his agency would go to public prosecutors to request that the assets of suspected wrongdoers be turned into state property or returned to victims. 

Some Bt422million of the assets belong to state officials who have been brought to court for alleged corruption in the government project to procure pesticide chemicals for distribution to farmers affected by communicable plant diseases, he said. 

The vast bulk of the remainder, or Bt4.83 billion in other assets, initially belong to Thongchai Rojrungrangsee and alleged accomplices – all defendants in a high-profile zero-dollar-tour case.

“They are accused of tax evasion involving an amount bigger than Bt10 million a year,” Romsit said, adding, “We will also seize these parts of the [overall] assets.” 

Moreover, Amlo will ask public prosecutors to seek a court order to have Bt39.5 million worth of assets, initially registered under the name of Taweesak Sujaritwattananont and alleged accomplices, taken for use as compensation to 59 people who have reported themselves as being victims of Taweesak’s alleged scam, Romsit said. 

He has been accused of operating call-centre scams luring unsuspecting victims to transfer their money to his gang. 

Romsit added that the Transaction Committee had also resolved to order the seizure of Bt3.4 million of assets belonging to Samrit Yawai, a suspected drug trafficker.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30338809

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-14

A post against forum rules and an answer to it have been removed.

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

When I first read this headline about wrongdoers having to pay back the money they have embezzled or stolen, I thought, 'Oh, good. At last!' But then I realised my mistake. Silly me - those wrongdoers whom I was thinking of are 'the good people', of course, and are immune from all punishment  ...

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1