New TM 6 forms

The TM6 forms handed out by AirAsia on my last flight were not the large 2 part forms they normally give you.    There is a new form.   It is a single piece of paper about the size of the original, but with all info on one side, and with a small detachable portion (departure card) which is about 3" square.   (Photo attached).

IMG_20180215_094734.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, samsensam said:

they've been using this form for a while now.

That depends on what you mean by "a while".

I got the old form on an Air Asia flight late Dec. and they still had the old forms at DM immigration when I landed. The TM6 reform was effective 1st Oct, that is when the Thais stopped using them, but the actual form changeover has been a lot slower.

17 minutes ago, samsensam said:

they've been using this form for a while now.

Fair enough.  I've not flown in our out of Thailand for 3 months, so this was the first time I'd seen this style of form.   

Cheers.

8 minutes ago, SimonD said:

The space allowed to write one's address in Thailand and email address (nosy) is pitifully inadequate, while other boxes are oversize for purpose. Irritating design.

In the news today there was a report that the TM6 is going to be phased-out within six months and replaced by fingerprint and e-passport scanners.

Not holding my breath...

Simon

I never write my full address in Thailand on these things.   Building name, Sukhumvit, Bangkok is enough.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SimonD said:

In the news today there was a report that the TM6 is going to be phased-out within six months and replaced by fingerprint and e-passport scanners.

This could have a number of unintended consequences, that I hope are being taken into consideration by the authorities. For example, the TM6 number is currently used as an integral part of the online 90-day reporting system. The system could be changed to use combinations of nationality, passport number, name and date of birth, but this would be more complex, and they have struggled to keep the system working as it is.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BritTim said:

For example, the TM6 number is currently used as an integral part of the online 90-day reporting system.

True, but no TM6 doesn't necessarily means no Number :smile:. They could just write a number next or on the Entry Stamp. Easy way to not change all the freak software ;)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The system could be changed to use combinations of nationality, passport number, name and date of birth, but this would be more complex, and they have struggled to keep the system working as it is.

Actually that is what it does now. If any of those are wrong  (they are the required fields on the first page) it will cause the search to fail and give the contact your local office message.

The would only have to take the TM6 number out of the current search.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Actually that is what it does now. If any of those are wrong  (they are the required fields on the first page) it will cause the search to fail and give the contact your local office message.

The would only have to take the TM6 number out of the current search.

I have not seen the code. However, as a programmer, it is my strong impression that they use the TM6 number to locate the record, and then verify the other items against that record. I do not think removing the TM6 number (almost certainly currently the primary key of the record in the database) will be that easy. If I was making the proposed change, the database would continue to have a 'TM6 number' as primary key, but it would be system generated. Best would be if the new machines printed an entry stamp that included the TM6 number, but doing so requires the issues to be properly understood right from the beginning, not half way through the process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

...I do not think removing the TM6 number (almost certainly currently the primary key of the record in the database) will be that easy...

Currently, the TM.6 number is very unlikely the primary search key. Lose your departure part of the TM.6 and when you leave the country the immigration official will give you a new one with a different number without batting an eye. 

24 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Currently, the TM.6 number is very unlikely the primary search key. Lose your departure part of the TM.6 and when you leave the country the immigration official will give you a new one with a different number without batting an eye. 

There will be alternative ways of finding the record, but the primary key is almost always the simplest combination of fields that is guaranteed to be unique. For the record that contains details of the entry and extensions of that entry, that will be the TM6 number. Even Nationality+Passport No+Date is not foolproof as, for instance, someone might enter more than once on the same day. There will be additional non unique keys like passport number, but the primary key of a record type is important, and changing it non trivial.

There are various ways a lost TM6 might be dealt with within the system. The simplest is probably to update the TM6 number field with an addition to the comment field that notes the old TM6 number. Alternatively, the TM6 number changes when you exit with a re-entry permit and then return. You might want extensions linked to the TM6 entry it is associated with, you may also want an easy way to locate older TM6 records. You might design a technique that uses a similar method for lost/replacement TM6 to that is used for new entries using a re-entry permit. I know nothing about what they do in practice.

1 hour ago, scoutman360 said:

The new form was a swift reaction to mitigate the long lines at airport Immigration. The headlines went global. I am still scratching my head over the logic here, but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I'm scratching my head to figure out why you think that.   The information on the form is basically the same, the only difference is the size and layout. 

I don't see how changing the size of the form could have saved any time at the immigration lines.  

19 hours ago, Maestro said:

Do you have the choice between the old and the new form?

I slways use the form I get from the flight attendant and am not offered a choice.

Not sure about airports, but entered Thailand at the Ban Packard/Pailin, Cambodia border last week with a pre-filled out old  card and asked the IO if it was still ok, and he said 'mai dai'.

Went to Laos from Nong Khai last week, the older version TM6 departure card quite acceptable, as was the new version for a couple of folks who'd obtained it on arrival at Swampy in January.

Old version for arrival at Nong Khai acceptable, I had a number of blank ones available filled out ahead of time.

I did ask the Nong Khai IO folks about the new TM6, told they'd not yet arrived....

Mac