Help me with advise, scooter accident!

Freediving94

As others have said, if the rental shop reported the bike as stolen, you could be in real trouble on arrival. If they got it back and the damage wasn’t too bad,  then you probably wouldn’t have to worry.

The problem is, AFAIK there’s no way to be 100% sure if you’re “on a list” or not.

• Like 1

OP,  my best advice would be to contact the rental company if it still exists and cover any damages they have suffered by your fault. Once this is done, they might contact the police to drop their complaint about you. Once this is done, you can use a Thai lawyer to check the immigration database about your status.

If you can't contact the rental company, a lawyer will also be the best person to contact to help you clear your status.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wump said:

Give the guy a break. None of you ever done anything stupid?

So let's give him a break and tell him there will be no problem when he returns to Thailand  because what he did will be written off as boys just being boys.

Then we'll set up a rota for those wanting to visit him in the "monkey house."

I wonder if your generous feelings would have been expressed if he were Thai or Chinese or ... any of the others not deemed to be a member of the "chosen race."

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

the more i think about this post . the more angry i get. thier is no mention in your post about making this right. u just want in. if u damage another bike this time and give up your documents (maybe u are smarter now and have duplicate passport or an old one)  will u run again  ........... how about this idea.  u go to Cambodia as a starting point.  rent a bike.  with intention of not returning it.  then u ram immigration at border and get in. that might work.  no seriously,  u dont mention making it right..  call the rental company , explain who u are and why u did it.  see if they are willing to take a certain amount of money to make the issue go away.  and then u can come without worry about being arrested upon arrival. your other statement that u couldn't bother with the issue is just arrogant .  i just bothered with you. your welcome.  and we wonder why thais dont like farang.  pay up or dont come .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

No your actions was not very smartly done, if you damage somebody's else property you have to pay for the repairs, it's just the decent thing to do. 

Yes better try contacting the owner and see if you can get to an agreement before flying in but okay the damages was likely below 10.000 baht so I don't think you will be on any wanted persons list in the Thai immigration systems, doubt it, they got bigger fish to fry.

Yeah scared made a mistake. He should have made a police report himself and taken photos of his leg and bike.

Returned the bike and pleaded for help.

But its done now. No your not on the hit list at the airport. Thai police no money a shifty Thai rental bike man has your licence another mistake

Only give them.a copy of it. Or don't hire the bike period 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wump said:

Op acknowledges he was stupid. Why can we not give him sound advice? All these "Freaking criminal should stay out of Thailand" are actually off-topic. Yes, he might go to jail, nobody denies that. But tell him what his options are instead of starting a witch hunt.

the witch hunt is because he just wants in again their is no mention of making it right. thus the witch hunt . now if the dude at the very least said in post. i want to make this right, i will get ahold of shop and offer them some money or similar. we would not be attacking him.  dah.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, yogavnture said:

the witch hunt is because he just wants in again their is no mention of making it right. thus the witch hunt . now if the dude at the very least said in post. i want to make this right, i will get ahold of shop and offer them some money or similar. we would not be attacking him.  dah.

I agree with your feeling there is no remorse no wil to make it right just to know if he will get in trouble. I run a business I hate customers like that that don't pay their bills or do other damage. Its ok if they later come and pay but this guy will not do such a thing if he can get away with it. Typical. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, canthai55 said:

You just don't get it ...

What others do means nothing to me. They can live their lives how they like.

But coming on here and posting that is OK to steal money from someone, which is in essence what the OP did and you are advocating, is Wrong.

Would you like it if someone borrowed your - (fill in the blank) - damaged it and left without telling you or offering compensation ? Same as sticking a gun in their face IM not so HO

People who do deserve everything that happens to them, because they forgot Rule #1

And if you have to ask what it is ...

Abandon all Hope Ye Who Enter Here is a good description

Oh I get it all right.  Having been robbed more times than I can count here and the cops could not give a toss so seeing some tourist get away with something I count as one-up for the good guys.  IF the punishment was likely to fit the crime and IF there was a level playing field then sure, 'fess up and take your medicine.

• Haha 1

This seems to me a hypothetical question the OP is trying to get some answer for and see if he can get away with it (or just provoke the members). Because it lacks certain details, for example he could easily had let the renter know where the bike is - that would obviously solve a lot of issues. So I don't think you guys should get too wound up about it.... (broken ankle, a few bumps and scratches on the bike, very unrealistic...).

Also renters who don't keep passports always ask for a deposit at minimum a few thousands of baht.

Edited by Agusts

48 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

And therein lies the difference ...

Never happened to me. So one of us is doing something wrong.

Size 12 boots and a size 2 hat comes to mind

You should get out more often; having big feet and a little head will scare off the robbers so you'll be safe.

19 hours ago, wump said:

Op acknowledges he was stupid. Why can we not give him sound advice? All these "Freaking criminal should stay out of Thailand" are actually off-topic. Yes, he might go to jail, nobody denies that. But tell him what his options are instead of starting a witch hunt.

He's been told!

4 hours ago, Cranky said:

Oh I get it all right.  Having been robbed more times than I can count here and the cops could not give a toss so seeing some tourist get away with something I count as one-up for the good guys.  IF the punishment was likely to fit the crime and IF there was a level playing field then sure, 'fess up and take your medicine.

You have been robbed more times than you can count in Thailand?  Really?  Love to hear about them.

"...seeing some tourist get away with something I count as one-up for the good guys".

He's a good guy?  How did you come to that conclusion?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You have been robbed more times than you can count in Thailand?  Really?  Love to hear about them.

"...seeing some tourist get away with something I count as one-up for the good guys".

He's a good guy?  How did you come to that conclusion?

All the guy did was panic a bit and do a runner.  Big deal, odds are he would have got ripped off by the bike renter as that is the norm and tough doodoo on that renter if he didn't have insurance, also the norm.  This is a den of thieves.  

I have been mugged at knifepoint, dipped by ladyboys, robbed by a maid, robbed by builders, ripped off in numerous creative ways and witnessed mates suffering the same fate and heard countless tales of the same on this very forum so how come all of a sudden this poor misguided fool is the poster child for 'Bad guys out, good guys in'? 

^^^^ Good look in the mirror will reveal all. You admitted it happened to you, yet put the blame on others.

"They" did it to "Me" - 555

You did it to yourself by being ... at the least naive ... at the most dumb

Edited by canthai55

50 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

^^^^ Good look in the mirror will reveal all. You admitted it happened to you, yet put the blame on others.

"They" did it to "Me" - 555

You did it to yourself by being ... at the least naive ... at the most dumb

I see you subscribe to the 'Blame the Victim' school of thought.  You'll be right at home here.

3 hours ago, Cranky said:

I have been mugged at knifepoint, dipped by ladyboys, robbed by a maid, robbed by builders, ripped off in numerous creative ways 

Could it be you, then, for so much unlikely stuff to have allegedly happened to one person?

So because you claim to have been robbed so many times that makes it ok in your eyes for this bloke to do a runner on his obligations (i.e. rob someone) to someone who had never robbed you or him?  very odd.

Edited by Just Weird

4 hours ago, Cranky said:

All the guy did was panic a bit and do a runner.  Big deal, odds are he would have got ripped off by the bike renter as that is the norm and tough doodoo on that renter if he didn't have insurance, also the norm.  This is a den of thieves.  

I have been mugged at knifepoint, dipped by ladyboys, robbed by a maid, robbed by builders, ripped off in numerous creative ways and witnessed mates suffering the same fate and heard countless tales of the same on this very forum so how come all of a sudden this poor misguided fool is the poster child for 'Bad guys out, good guys in'? 

we all know if you crash the bike shop is gonna charge you for new parts on bike. thats the deal. if he didn't like the deal he didnt have to rent the bike. i still think if he wants back into the kingdom. that he should go to cambodia. rent a bike at the border with his old passport. and ram the gate at thai border.  and not return the bike. then hes in!!!!!

Edited by yogavnture
spelling

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Could it be you, then, for so much unlikely stuff to have allegedly happened to one person?

So because you claim to have been robbed so many times that makes it ok in your eyes for this bloke to do a runner on his obligations (i.e. rob someone) to someone who had never robbed you or him?  very odd.

1.  No, not unlikely at all; pretty normal given 30 years here.  How many farangs have been robbed by Thais over a similar period ? 

2. Yes.  Safe option; rob or be robbed.  Kill or be killed.  Take your pick.