Money pours in for Brit and Thai wife and child down on their luck in Buriram

webfact

10 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Nowt like first hand info INNIT

Yep..

It's like Mr Kurtz in "Heart of Darkness"-except that Kurtz finds himself surrounded by discombobulated expatriates screaming about  pensions in the middle of nowhere..

No wonder he expires muttering those immortal words..."The horror..the horror."

Edited by Odysseus123

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

Yep..

It's like Mr Kurtz in "Heart of Darkness"-except that Kurtz finds himself surrounded by discombobulated expatriates screaming about  pensions in the middle of nowhere..

No wonder he expired muttering those immortal words..."The horror..the horror."

OK 55555555

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

OK 55555555

oldlakey,

Let me explain myself.Having  (supposedly) escaped into the wilds of Isaan I discovered that the ONLY topic of conversation was about pensions amongst  the expatriate geriatric brigade..

Therefore(with the appropriate amount of horror) I realized that I had merely escaped "God's waiting room" in OZ for an Asian version of "God's rice paddy." instead.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jingjock said:

Met many here retired early living on next to nothing, he's had the best part of his life in the warm cheap country. I agree with the other post, go back home that is the long term requirement

there is no way that guy is getting on a plane even if he could affort a ticket

any case he would have to buy 2 seats or go 1st class as normal seat would not fit him

like many, he should have seen the writing on the wall first and take action before a disaster happen.

but no, he is the one who will  ignore warnings and did let himself go for to long, an you can say that in 2 ways

16 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You're a bit late with that, it was clarified 55 posts ago (by me), so much for my silly noise!  The basic UK state pension is £159 per week.

But that would only apply to people who have made the required number of years contributions. If you dont make that magic number then the rate is reduced.

11 hours ago, gunderhill said:

So  you made some   bad  choices, bad  wife bad  job and bad financial planning.......soulless maybe, stupid not. What's important? planning mate.

In a way you are correct. I did my final retirement plann ing in 2002.

Unfortunately at that time I did not take into account the financial crashes in 2005 or 2008 or even Brexit in 2016 simply because they were not even on the radar or horizon.

To quote an old Scottish poet.

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.”

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry definition

No matter how carefully a project is planned, something may still go wrong with it. The saying is adapted from a line in “To a Mouse,” by Robert Burns: “

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But that would only apply to people who have made the required number of years contributions. If you dont make that magic number then the rate is reduced.

As far as I know this "appeal" was launched by Thai villagers and assisted by a Thai personality.

There is no indication that the British gentleman or his wife asked for assistance or solicieted money from the Expat community

Somehow it has got onto here where the USUAL lack of charity has been displayed by Western,smug,self satisfied and emotionally rancid expatriate Caucasians who have contributed their two bob's worth albeit with the  intellectual status of a bilby being displayed..

I am very sure that the Thai people will do better...

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Totally WRONG, you only have to pay NI for 10 years to be entitled to a pension, not a large one obviously. He is almost certainly eligible for something now, surely somebody living there could help him fill out the online application for it? It is now 35 years for a full pension, but you will not get the full amount if you were opted out over those years.

Except.....most people in my industry worked through their own limited company and I did so for over 15 years, those are counted as not qualifying years by HMRC. Prior to that, I lived overseas for a further 15 years, the only NI payments on my HMRC record are from jobs between the ages of 18 and 21, four years, not enough to qualify for any UK pension. BUT I did make voluntary NI contributions as soon as I knew I was going to retire early so I do indeed get a UK state pension, albeit not a full one. Perhaps the man in the OP was in a similar position, it was very common for people of my age group but maybe didn't/couldn't make voluntary contributions.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

His son would automatically receive a passport, unless he married a woman already with a son, which is something not wise at all in Thailand. 

Sadly I don't think that this is so.

If the man registered his sons birth at the UK Embassy and got a birth certificate for him, then his son will be a UK citizen and as his mother is Thai he will always be a Thai citizen too.

Having said that IIRC if the father is a UK citizen, the son can become one but not his grandson.

However if the wife was a UK citizen and the husband Thai than the right of citizenship is carried through the generations.

36 minutes ago, billd766 said:

In a way you are correct. I did my final retirement plann ing in 2002.

Unfortunately at that time I did not take into account the financial crashes in 2005 or 2008 or even Brexit in 2016 simply because they were not even on the radar or horizon.

To quote an old Scottish poet.

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.”

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry definition

No matter how carefully a project is planned, something may still go wrong with it. The saying is adapted from a line in “To a Mouse,” by Robert Burns: “

A very wise man!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If the man registered his sons birth at the UK Embassy and got a birth certificate for him, then his son will be a UK citizen

You can't get a British birth certificate from the embassy of the child was born in Thailand.

1. ok the gentleman might not be entitled to a uk state pension, in that respect what other uk social security benefits would cut in instead ??

2. why not set up a task force here to help the chap through with for example fill in forms etc...???

wbr

roobaa01

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

1. ok the gentleman might not be entitled to a uk state pension, in that respect what other uk social security benefits would cut in instead ??

2. why not set up a task force here to help the chap through with for example fill in forms etc...???

wbr

roobaa01

The Thai people have already commenced to do that-with or without-toxic Western interference.

I think that I will leave them to it.

Well done,  Thai people.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

You can't get a British birth certificate from the embassy of the child was born in Thailand.

You may not be able to now but 13 years ago you could.

We haven't had any more children since then so I am not up to date with it.

I just looked up the embassy website and found this.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

ou must register your child’s birth according to the regulations in the country where the child was born. They’ll give you a local birth certificate.

This local birth certificate should be accepted in the UK, eg when you apply for a passport or register with a school or doctor. You might need to have it translated and certified if it isn’t in English.

Once you’ve registered locally you may also be able to register the birth with the UK authorities. You can only do this if the child was born on or after 1 January 1983.

You don’t need to register with the UK authorities but it means:

the birth will be recorded with the General Register Offices or at the National Records Office of Scotland

you can order a consular birth registration certificate

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You may not be able to now but 13 years ago you could.

We haven't had any more children since then so I am not up to date with it.

I just looked up the embassy website and found this.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

I had kids before and after then.

They didn't get a birth certificate.

It's called a certificate of registration of a birth, or something.

I don't think it's possible for anyone to have two birth certificates, but I could be wrong.

57 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

wbr

roobaa01

None.

Universal credit, which is a catch all benefit, is residency based, as is everything else apart from the state pension.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

@mommysboy  thats it as soon as he would be back to the uk social security entitlements cutting in for him as a british national.

wbr

roobaa01

Being a British national has nothing to do with it, as MMB said, it's a residency based system and he is not resident.

44 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

None.

Universal credit, which is a catch all benefit, is residency based, as is everything else apart from the state pension.

There are exceptions, unfortunately they do not apply to Tax paying British citizens.

8 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Does anyone know why his shack needs to be filthy?

Are there family members near by that could help to tidy the place?

If you've ever been inside a poor rural village and some of the "houses" you'd realise that keeping things tidy is not always a priority or indeed always possible.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

If you've ever been inside a poor rural village and some of the "houses" you'd realise that keeping things tidy is not always a priority or indeed always possible.

Note to newbies, don't marry poor girls from Buriram. How on earth did these guys meet these women anyway?

27 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Thank you.

I've been in numerous  rural houses and villages.

I also "realize"  being poor seems to cause the mind set that throwing trash around the house for decoration purposes seems to be perfectly acceptable to many in the village.

Being poor does not mean one has to be dirty. or even untidy.

Edit:    And that applies not only to Thailand.

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Thank you.

I've been in numerous  rural houses and villages.

I also "realize"  being poor seems to cause the mind set that throwing trash around the house for decoration purposes seems to be perfectly acceptable to many in the village.

Being poor does not mean one has to be dirty. or even untidy.

Edit:    And that applies not only to Thailand.

It's strange, some rural villages are clean and well kept, a km up the road and the next village is a filthy.  Pride must be contagious.