stop feeding street dogs

opalred

Yes to a reasonable standard...but nowhere near fluently...and you ?

I am fluent (like most that post here) and love to converse with beggars. I always ask the kids what kind of ice cream they want.

I do have trouble with the dogs though, I can’t get the tone correct.
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2018 at 8:39 AM, action said:

"I'm going to move to an exotic country and then bitch and moan that their culture doesn't abide by my personal opinions on things. " 

Maybe the OP should ride his bike back to his home country.  

I'm a Thai citizen and I share the same opinion.

Your argument is now redundant. Which means it doesn't matter in the first place whether or not the person expressing the opinion is Thai.

40 minutes ago, MatteoBassini said:

I'm a Thai citizen and I share the same opinion.

Your argument is now redundant. Which means it doesn't matter in the first place whether or not the person expressing the opinion is Thai.

Do Thai people consider dogs on the street a problem and do they think feeding them is a good thing, or do they think removing them from the streets would be a good thing? Genuine question.

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Do Thai people consider dogs on the street a problem and do they think feeding them is a good thing, or do they think removing them from the streets would be a good thing? Genuine question.

I think, and this is just my personal opinion and not trying to upset anyone, that most Thai people don't really give much thought to the dogs on the street, in fact they could not care less about them. 

That is unless some one is recorded kicking one or something and then it gets into the media and people keep getting 'outraged' and upset in the mass hysteria.  

Then there are the few crazy ones that go around with lots of huge sacks of dog food and feed the dogs all the time.  This is the same in Europe with crazy people feeding huge quantities of food to pigeons, feral cats etc.  This does not really help the animals at all... only makes them breed more and make more hungry and sick suffering animals in the long run.  

Seems people pretty much are indifferent to the street dogs.  Sometimes if the mood takes them they will throw them some scraps of food for fun (usually in the evening when drinking), and on the other hand they will give them a kick and hit them with a stick if they are in a bad mood.  That is why most street dogs are so unpredictable and suspicious of people.. because humans treat them with kindness one moment and then hurt them the next.  

If people really cared about the street dogs they would actually help them by taking them to the vets, sterilisation, re homing them and giving them a good wash.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

i sympathise with your comments but i googled rabies in Thailand some time ago and was surprised that there were only 4 to 6 deaths a year from rabies, one last week in Surin from a woman that had been feeding stray dogs

2 months ago when i couldn't sleep i choose to walk around the village at 2am in the morning. Never again!!!

Dogs poured out of each house and attempted to attack me, soon joined by many others from everywhere

These dogs turn into feral pack monsters at night, Regardless the time, people should be able to travel around safely without being attacked (That's just the owned dogs)

As for the barking, seriously thinking of moving because of it 

I walked through a village at night and luckily the beasts were all locked up, or I'd have been ripped to pieces. Never again.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

2 months ago when i couldn't sleep i choose to walk around the village at 2am in the morning. Never again!!!

Dogs poured out of each house and attempted to attack me, soon joined by many others from everywhere

These dogs turn into feral pack monsters at night, Regardless the time, people should be able to travel around safely without being attacked (That's just the owned dogs)

As for the barking, seriously thinking of moving because of it 

Don't bother moving because of barking.  We have moved house a lot here over the years... 5 times, to different areas.  And in all places there were barking dogs.. and loud music and base from early morning till midnight lol.  Thai people love parties and music while they are working too.  

This year I  have to cycle home some evenings through one area that lots of dogs live in . I call it sleepy hollow as its so creepy - lots of huge trees and the road goes down into a valley with a few very old wooden houses, even has the creepy mist in the wet season)...   Anyway, as I go past there can be up to 17 dogs chasing me in a pack!  More and more come out as I go down that road. Even one time had a herd of buffalo blocking my way in the darkness.. they look scary at night with their eyes reflecting the lights from the bike and their horns.  

Eventually one dog bit me quite badly and I had to go to the hospital to get the anti rabies shots.  

After that time I had had enough.  So next time I took a long, but lightweight, bamboo stick with me.  When I went through the area I slowed down to let the 2 most aggressive dogs get near me.. their teeth on my ankles... then I swatted them over the head with the stick.. and got both at the same time over their noses.   

I did it again the next time too.  After that all the dogs left me alone.  I did not need the stick.  All I did was slow down and raise my arm in the air and they would back off and even stop barking.  They have not given me any more problems since. They have a good memory.  

Edited by jak2002003

23 hours ago, mogandave said:

I’ve been here a while and never met anyone infected with rabies. So assuming you are correct, and 80% of the dogs have rabies, they can’t be biting too many people.

Hmmm, walking around with battle scars or being rounded up and killed by the more compassionate, that’s a tough choice.

Rabies is about, a couple of years ago one of our dogs died of rabies following a fight with a street dog. If I had known a bit more about it at the time I would have recognised the symptoms. Fortunately the dog became lethargic rather than aggressive.

As you say, in the 10 years I have lived here I have never heard of any humans being infected. What many do not seem to realise is that there is greater risk from cats than dogs, the virus invariably becomes evident in a dog and kills it but cats can carry the virus for years without developing any symptoms.

The OP questioned why nothing was being done. There was a time when something was done, stray dogs were rounded up and disposed of until some people like Judy Dench made an issue out of one particular aspect. The government is now between a rock and a hard place with the world's media watching closely, little wonder they have chosen the easy option.

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

If people really cared about the street dogs they would actually help them by taking them to the vets, sterilisation, re homing them and giving them a good wash.

Quite. Every evening my sister in law gets on her bike and goes out on the street to feed the local strays. A few weeks back she came back with a puppy she had come across that was almost dead. We usually have about 8 dogs and when one dies just find another.

She also runs a voluntary cat refuge with about forty odd cats at the moment.

• Like 1

So dogs “...poured out of each house and attempted to attack...” you.

What stoped them from actually attacking you?

• Thanks 1

It’s my understanding Thai people are generally Buddhist and as such make merit feeding them, and are very much against killing them.

Everyone knows the only humane thing to do is round them up and kill them like we do in the West.
  • Like 2

Having the dog population fixed would solve the problem.
Feeding them AND getting them fixed would solve the problem.

The Government would have to take the initiative on this.
I realize the prevailing opinion in the forum - which may very well be accurate - is that they won't  - and are incapable of doing so.

The dogs like being fed, but neutered? Maybe not so much...

14 hours ago, mogandave said:

It’s my understanding Thai people are generally Buddhist and as such make merit feeding them, and are very much against killing them.

Everyone knows the only humane thing to do is round them up and kill them like we do in the West.

I would venture to say that the Thais are doing the only humane thing, which is feeding them!

• Like 1

I would venture to say that the Thais are doing the only humane thing, which is feeding them!

No, you have not been paying attention:

Feeding dogs is cruel, killing them is humane.

If for whatever reason you MUST feed them, at least be kind enough to cut their nuts off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2018 at 7:36 AM, Boon Mee said:

Why stop feeding them?  Let them starve to death?

Seems rather cruel. :sad:

Not feeding them is the ONLY way to address the dog problem.

Starving them is not the issue.

How do you think Soi dogs die anyway?

If you reduce the food supply for Soi days, one of the first things that happens is the breeding rate reduces or ceases.

Then the population of dogs slowly  dwindles. No dogs are attracted to areas without food and shelter either.

However feeding the dogs is only half the problem....their main food supply is garbage. So one has to totally reform the methods for waste disposal too.

Culling doesn't work most of the time...It only works on islands where populations are isolated and cannot be replaced by neighbouring populations.

Culling in the West isn't carried out, contrary to what some posters on this thread seem to think.

In most countries in the West the dog populations are relatively small as the urban environments aren't dog friendly...there is enough food. So it is possible to collect the small numbers of dogs that do appear house them for a short time and then euthanize them if an owner can be found or they are too I'll to survive long. This is not a cull.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2018 at 8:39 AM, action said:

"I'm going to move to an exotic country and then bitch and moan that their culture doesn't abide by my personal opinions on things. " 

Maybe the OP should ride his bike back to his home country.  

Maybe this poster should learn to avoid banal cliches?

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2018 at 10:16 AM, Suradit69 said:

Exactly. The dogs aren't to blame for some humans dumping them on the street and being left to breed unchecked and to forage for themselves. Suggesting that they all be starved to death as a solution is the same sort of inhuman thinking that created the problem in the first place.

miles.jpg.5a502b34a4f2c59bd24ba29ab36a3a72.jpg

Again how do yuh think street dogs die? They is no doggie retirement home where they can die in their sleep. Virtually all these dogs die of starvation, cutting off part or all of the food supply just prevents replacement of the ones as they die ... painfully ... of natural causes.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 10:55 AM, Fairynuff said:

Me too, over the years we have befriended countless soi dogs and had many of them operated on, both male and female. We also support a dog rescue centre near Thap Sakae, a woman who almost single handedly takes care of around 200 dogs. Should anyone like to know more about this woman please DM me

What about the other 300,000 running around in Bkk alone?

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, geronimo said:

Is supporting a massive population of dogs most of which are deceased and unhealthy for all there lives, dogs with septic wounds bitches with prolapsed uteri etc ...is that really "humane"?

The humane anger is to reduce the population to manageable proportions and then have happy humans and happy dogs....mostly on a lead.

30 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Culling in the West isn't carried out, contrary to what some posters on this thread seem to think.

In most countries in the West the dog populations are relatively small as the urban environments aren't dog friendly...there is enough food. So it is possible to collect the small numbers of dogs that do appear house them for a short time and then euthanize them if an owner can be found or they are too I'll to survive long. This is not a cull.

Sorry, I was confused. I thought "euthanize" meant kill, I guess my mom was right and they really are just sleeping.

So do they wake up in the incinerator? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Sorry, I was confused. I thought "euthanize" meant kill, I guess my mom was right and they really are just sleeping.

So do they wake up in the incinerator? 

I can't believe that your comment isn't deliberately obtuse...however if you really don't understand it isn't worth discussing on such a basic level

....... otherwise find someone else to play pigeon chess with.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

However feeding the dogs is only half the problem....their main food supply is garbage. So one has to totally reform the methods for waste disposal too.

Problematic as the government is trying to push municipalities to have no bins. Which will no doubt result in people leaving garbage bags on the streets twice a week, and littering at all other times. 

• Like 1