Wine - Somethings changing and it's starting pretty soon

ukrules

5 hours ago, topt said:

You mean you have not noticed the "fruit wine" varieties sold often at stalls in malls and even i believe in Big C? :smile:

There is also a local vineyard at Silverlake (near Pattaya) and I believe others........

However I don't drink them and agree it is a very small part of the overall market.

Fruit wines have a significant cut of the market - often being the only wines sold in significant retailers such as 7-11 and Family Mart. 

siam wineries - owned by the Yoovidhya family of Red Bull fame make (most of these are fruit wines):
mont claire
castille de diablo
amante
kookoburra
finca da malpica
lion's cape
marysol
naga
peter vella
Belleville

Agree prices have been nudged up and up, supplies less reliable.

Beer Laos also.

2 hours ago, nisakiman said:

Likewise here in Greece. My daily table wine is a local (Nemea) Merlot, 12.5% ABV, currently the 2016 vintage, which I buy in a 10 litre box. While not a 'fine wine' by any stretch of the imagination, it is very drinkable, and serves well as a table wine. It's certainly better than all the cheaper(?) end of wines in Thailand. And what do I pay for 10 litres of very nice table wine? The princely sum of 18.70 Euros, about 730 Baht.

You're a lucky so and so.

Edited by lou62

2 hours ago, greeneking said:

Fruit wines have a significant cut of the market - often being the only wines sold in significant retailers such as 7-11 and Family Mart. 

siam wineries - owned by the Yoovidhya family of Red Bull fame make (most of these are fruit wines):
mont claire
castille de diablo
amante
kookoburra
finca da malpica
lion's cape
marysol
naga
peter vella
Belleville

Agree prices have been nudged up and up, supplies less reliable.

Beer Laos also.

My reply was about the lack of "indigenous wine production" or similar. Most of the wine base for the above named "fruit wines" do not come from grapes grown in Thailand. 

8 minutes ago, topt said:

My reply was about the lack of "indigenous wine production" or similar. Most of the wine base for the above named "fruit wines" do not come from grapes grown in Thailand. 

I would actually be interested to know what kind of grape varieties do they cultivate in Thailand. Surely the vine harvests more than once a year in the tropical climate of South East Asian. Traditional European varieties need the winter dormancy to bear fruit!!

6 minutes ago, yopf said:

I would actually be interested to know what kind of grape varieties do they cultivate in Thailand. Surely the vine harvests more than once a year in the tropical climate of South East Asian. Traditional European varieties need the winter dormancy to bear fruit!!

To be honest I am not that interested having tasted the offerings at Silverlake but here may be a useful starting point -

http://www.thaiwineassociation.com/16615349/about-us

Cheers

On 2/17/2018 at 4:47 PM, Lucky mike said:

I too am  purveyor of the chateau decardboard and do not have unlimited funds to purchase already poor quality wine at increased prices !  Hope report is incorrect but would not be surprised at another tax grab ?

If you're the purveyor, you should know what's going on, surely?

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 6:43 AM, topt said:

If you do a search and read any of the wine threads you should be aware that the relatively high prices are (mainly) a function of the customs and import duties which I am sure the "merchant" blamed in his reply.

If his reply is interesting why not post it or parts of it?

Spot on topt! The merchant blamed the system and the reply was an interesting one. Enjoy!!

The office has forwarded your message to me as I am based in Singapore and look after our customers in South East Asia.

I contacted our Thai importer who notes that he does not have distribution in the area around Hatyai which, being close to the border, is full of smuggled wine so it is difficult to say from which market this product may have come.

Thailand imposes the highest tax on imported wine in the world and my importer explains the maths:

Vionta Albarino cost is 5 Euros ex works; the total import duties of 420 % bring the landed cost to 26 Euros; the standard wholesale price for this wine is therefore $30 and  retail price is around US$37/bottle.

If you were able to purchase at $30 it seems likely that the wine originated in another market. I understand that this price seems exorbitant to you but we cannot control taxation.

Regards,

• Like 2

9 hours ago, yopf said:

Spot on topt! The merchant blamed the system and the reply was an interesting one. Enjoy!!

The office has forwarded your message to me as I am based in Singapore and look after our customers in South East Asia.

I contacted our Thai importer who notes that he does not have distribution in the area around Hatyai which, being close to the border, is full of smuggled wine so it is difficult to say from which market this product may have come.

Thailand imposes the highest tax on imported wine in the world and my importer explains the maths:

Vionta Albarino cost is 5 Euros ex works; the total import duties of 420 % bring the landed cost to 26 Euros; the standard wholesale price for this wine is therefore $30 and  retail price is around US$37/bottle.

If you were able to purchase at $30 it seems likely that the wine originated in another market. I understand that this price seems exorbitant to you but we cannot control taxation.

Regards,

There we have it - government greed.

On 2/17/2018 at 6:11 PM, ukrules said:

Somethings definitely coming, I suspect stocks of cheap 'house wine' in bars and restaurants will run out in the next week or two across the country.

I've been told that there will be no 'Mar-Y-Sol' available until April. If this applies to the other brands as well (and I see no reason why it wouldn't) then this is a major cock up by the industry and or government regulators.

Or an attempt to steal even more of your money .....

Mar-Y-Sol continues to be non existant, I went to Makro a few days ago and took some photos.

They have an entire aisle of Mont Clair and then a whole bunch of different wines which I've mostly never heard of before.

Here's the photos with prices for anyone who's interested. Friday 23rd, Feb.

wine01.JPG.149acf068e748e0c396efabe40a44fe0.JPG

wine02.JPG.124eb9bd0f22271d909d70d489cc25b5.JPG

wine03.JPG.3733e156b20b09a0060c65bd9000efd5.JPG

wine04.JPG.81b58e24043ab127217a6eca1f926b3b.JPG

wine05.JPG.ae42eec32670affbcf0d5f7a9998ae6d.JPG

wine06.JPG.957c2456758c3e22a46e58cee5dcc6e6.JPG

wine07.JPG.55f2e8dc48c0cf976dfc3196b9e1b088.JPG

On 2/16/2018 at 1:36 PM, ukrules said:

Presumably this is the same price per Liter but only smaller boxes being available but who knows.

If same price per liter it's not a big deal, apart from a period without boxes available; however could Makro still supply, being a wholesale market..?

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Seems there are more and more vineyards opening up in the mountains, perhaps some decent wine will develop.

Unfortunately no ! There are some good vineyards, once near Khao Yai, ( PB Valley Khaoyai Winery ??) but there are so taxed on wine that they make more benefit by selling grapes juice.

(This come from a french webreport about wine in Thailand. They were saying that their stuff were good but too priced)

7 hours ago, Rv Hawee said:

Unfortunately no ! There are some good vineyards, once near Khao Yai, ( PB Valley Khaoyai Winery ??) but there are so taxed on wine that they make more benefit by selling grapes juice.

(This come from a french webreport about wine in Thailand. They were saying that their stuff were good but too priced)

Absolutely agree and its the price which is the killer. Some decent stuff from Loei but I can get a significantly better Aussie for the same price. Perhaps someone has invested in a local winery and is trying to kill the import trade for us farangs by raising the prices up to Thai wine levels. These price rises will certainly impact on your average middle class Thai that has 'discovered' wine.

• 2 weeks later...

Up again!

2l Nadin  399.....439......499 and today 599 B.  A period of 4 months.  Is this still tax changes?  200 B extra per bottle?

So I bought 2l produced and bottled in Italy for 429 B.  I saved 170 B. buying a more real wine instead of a fruit wine, and paid a cheaper price despite much higher import taxes.

The only people who can be happy about all these changes will be the smugglers.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Today my Wife returned from BigC with a 1.5 litre bottle of Cape Botanicum red "wine" imported from South Africa.

12.5% Vol @499 Baht.

Nowhere on the bottle does it mention wine or grapes.

It describes it as:

"Aromatized Alchoholic Beverage"

On the back it says:

"A touch of cranberry flavour was added to this ruby coloured drink to add a touch of magic"

Other crap fruit wines have almost doubled in price.

The situation is getting worse.

Edited by Phuket Man
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 1:33 PM, SpeakeasyThai said:

In all honestly i think you need to get over yourself.  'Loss of face'... Very amusing, I actually laughed out loud when i read that!  You're so off the mark i think you're quite possibly a 10am at the bar retiree i drive past every morning - sitting and fueling their sick addiction. Chin up, don't be so hard on yourself and have a  good day. Consider an alcohol free day once a week (and I don't mean you get someone else to pay).

Very funny post, well done squire!

?

I drink wine and other booze to 'get off my face'.