Pheu Thai says joining election protests would be counter-productive

webfact

Pheu Thai says joining election protests would be counter-productive

By The Nation

fcda1a85e0a8469cc08ac9cfe98ca722.jpeg

Protesters calling for a speedy election rally on Sunday at the Thao Suranari monument in Nakhon Ratchasima.

The Pheu Thai party is shunning a call from groups to join their protests against a delay in the general election, saying the campaign would only be weaker if politicians took part in the rallies.

A former Pheu Thai MP for Chiang Rai, Samart Kaewmeechai, said political parties had to abide by the law and needed to be extra-careful when taking any such action or they risked being dissolved.

“Please don’t say we [politicians] are doing nothing. It’s not fair to us. If we joined the protest held by students and other innocent forces, it would weaken their power to fight,” he said on Sunday.

Somkid Chuakong, a former Pheu Thai Party MP for Ubon Ratchathani, said he and his colleagues did not want the students’ movement to be seen as having politicians helping them behind the scenes or even having their financial support.

Pro-democracy groups on Saturday had announced that a series of peaceful protests would take place throughout February and March as a prelude to a larger demonstration in May to ask for a return to the democratic path and the holding of a general election as promised.

They also called on politicians and members of the public to participate in the protests.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30339194

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-19
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I do agree that politicians shouldn't get involved with this election protest. Should be a citizen movement. There are sufficient concerned citizens to made this movement a success. The current students and activists are a dedicated lot and have the intelligence to galvanize sympathetic supporters. It is gaining momentum and the junta is paranoid. Getting politicians in this movement will lose that genuineness and give the junta excuses to use excessive force and harsh extra judiciary methods.

Have to agree here; keep those weak excuses of politicians out of this as it will corrupt everything.

As soon as the movement gets momentum they will jump in anyways and portray them as the ones being in charge.

What i sincerely hope is not only that the protestors can bring the corrupt junta to their knees BUT ALSO come with an alternative for how to continue (sidelining the current political parties).

• Like 2

Just now, Bob12345 said:

Have to agree here; keep those weak excuses of politicians out of this as it will corrupt everything.

As soon as the movement gets momentum they will jump in anyways and portray them as the ones being in charge.

What i sincerely hope is not only that the protestors can bring the corrupt junta to their knees BUT ALSO come with an alternative for how to continue (sidelining the current political parties).

I would love it if your prediction comes true.. but i dont see any alternatives. I think PTP in power would not be as bad as everyone would check them so less options for corruption. But I don't think anything will change they all want to be in power.. they all want a slice of the pie

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't like the PTP much as you probably know but I think this is the best thing they can do.. if they do protest it could harm them and that would make it harder when the election comes. 

Maybe they need to forfeit winning an election this round. 

In order to even get an election granted. 

28 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Maybe they need to forfeit winning an election this round. 

In order to even get an election granted. 

It would be a clear signal if they refuse to run for an upcoming bogus election, or even better, win the upcoming election and refuse to form a government in protest.

But why would they do that? They dont care about the country, they just want to be where the money is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, debate101 said:

Typical cowardice from the politicians, but the real question should not be whether they will stand with the public or the junta--it should be whether the military will stand with the Thai people or with their corrupt bosses.

It is not cowardice.  The easy political move would be seen joining the protests, but that would be counter productive.  It has to remain and remain to be seen as a popular uprising not an uprising backed by one side or another (or even both) for political gain.   It is one of the few times I have actually seen the PTP make the right decision and just stay out of it.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Your refusal to join the protests shows your weakness.

On the one hand, they and their intrepid leader aren't exactly known for their bravery! On the other, there is some wisdom in not getting their "party", such as it is, dissolved. And of course, they're worried about getting jailed.

But it might be the boss has said keep out and isn't will to pay for any involvement. 

It would be really interesting if the people rejected the Junta and all corrupt politicians and their political vehicles and some new persons and parties appeared who were really interested on reform and democracy. Now that would scare them!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I would love it if your prediction comes true.. but i dont see any alternatives. I think PTP in power would not be as bad as everyone would check them so less options for corruption. But I don't think anything will change they all want to be in power.. they all want a slice of the pie

The danger with PTP is that they are always under the control of the owner. He who pays the pipers calls the tunes!

It would only be a matter of time before they tried to weasle some kind of amnesty through so he could return untouchable. That, re-instigating the 2.2 trillion ThB loan and relining their pockets would be the priorities. We know that "learning from mistakes" isn't a key trait here. Arrogance, thick skinned and entitlement are. 

If PTP returned to power the cycle will start again even though PTP will do all they can to prevent it and I'd suggest try to move to a similar situation seen currently in Cambodia.

Cynical perhaps but none of the old established parties and politicians will change, IMO.

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The danger with PTP is that they are always under the control of the owner. He who pays the pipers calls the tunes!

It would only be a matter of time before they tried to weasle some kind of amnesty through so he could return untouchable. That, re-instigating the 2.2 trillion ThB loan and relining their pockets would be the priorities. We know that "learning from mistakes" isn't a key trait here. Arrogance, thick skinned and entitlement are. 

If PTP returned to power the cycle will start again even though PTP will do all they can to prevent it and I'd suggest try to move to a similar situation seen currently in Cambodia.

Cynical perhaps but none of the old established parties and politicians will change, IMO.

I think with the senators and all and most checks and balances in place they would not be able to do much this time. Now an army party would just be as corrupt as they want and nobody would stop them

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Your refusal to join the protests shows your weakness.

An element of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Pheu Thai know full well that the junta could (would) seize on any excuse to dissolve them and ban their leadership "from politics", on the other hand if they don't join the protests they are seen as weak.

PS This is the second time that I have made this post today. The first one umh, disappeared without trace shortly after I made it. Funnily enough the same thing happened to another equally innocuous post on the subject of pollution in the sea. I have resubmitted that as well. Can't imagine why they were deleted...

Edited by JAG
  • Like 2

Just now, robblok said:

I think with the senators and all and most checks and balances in place they would not be able to do much this time. Now an army party would just be as corrupt as they want and nobody would stop them

That's what they are currently trying to design. PTP would be looking for the favorable loopholes and resolve always weakens over time. Whereas the Junta/elites would be looking to keep the doors closed, with yet another coup as a last resolve.

Hardly breaking the cycle but maybe increasing the circumference!

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

That's what they are currently trying to design. PTP would be looking for the favorable loopholes and resolve always weakens over time. Whereas the Junta/elites would be looking to keep the doors closed, with yet another coup as a last resolve.

Hardly breaking the cycle but maybe increasing the circumference!

The cycle wont be broken.. not as long as corruption is so profitable. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I think thai people have more to worry about right now, than whether voldermort will come back. They may have gained a wee bit in the last few years, but they have lost a whole lot more. That 2.2 trillion has now ballooned into over 3 trillion with no end in sight. And since every ruling body is controlled by the superboard, it's very hard to get any transparency. 

You are correct, of they were voted back. Suthep would be released from his high tower.  voting the dems in to enjoy a term supervised by the travesty they have created  would be quite hilarious, and a just revenge. 

40 minutes ago, JAG said:

An element of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Pheu Thai know full well that the junta could (would) seize on any excuse to dissolve them and ban their leadership "from politics", on the other hand if they don't join the protests they are seen as weak.

PS This is the second time that I have made this post today. The first one umh, disappeared without trace shortly after I made it. Funnily enough the same thing happened to another equally innocuous post on the subject of pollution in the sea. I have resubmitted that as well. Can't imagine why they were deleted...

My views on PT are clear enough.

They are damned because of their behaviour when in power as far as I'm concerned...

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

My views on PT are clear enough.

They are damned because of their behaviour when in power as far as I'm concerned...

Wonder what Suthep did with all those billions that were supposed to build police stations? ?

Or where somtam got his 300 million from? 

Or where Prawit got his million baht watches? 

Or how a certain nephew managed to get large government building contracts for his start up construction firm? 

And yet, nasty rotten yingluck, left office with less money than she went in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

Wonder what Suthep did with all those billions that were supposed to build police stations? ?

Or where somtam got his 300 million from? 

Or where Prawit got his million baht watches? 

Or how a certain nephew managed to get large government building contracts for his start up construction firm? 

And yet, nasty rotten yingluck, left office with less money than she went in. 

Never said the others were any better. 

However this is a story about PT.

• Sad 1

Of course they won't take part in these, so far, small protests. They are cowards.  But if the protests did manage to escalate and start attracting more people, they would be in there, pushing their way to the front of the stage and taking over like Suthep did in 2013.  The only thing that frightens each side more than the other taking power is the thought of a genuine grassroots movement gaining popularity and removing all their noses from the trough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Of course they won't take part in these, so far, small protests. They are cowards.  But if the protests did manage to escalate and start attracting more people, they would be in there, pushing their way to the front of the stage and taking over like Suthep did in 2013.  The only thing that frightens each side more than the other taking power is the thought of a genuine grassroots movement gaining popularity and removing all their noses from the trough.

We can only dream that this will happen.. i won't hold my breath. 

It's a smart move. The Junta already gets way too much mileage from blaming their favorite whipping boys with every wrong that has ever been done. And quieting the unrest caused by the reds (reacting to the interference of the yellows) was the Junta's mandate for power. Best to let the non reds find their own voice. Any involvement from the reds will diminish the authenticity of the protests.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Never said the others were any better. 

However this is a story about PT.

Well yes, it is a story about whether pt should support the university students, or leave them to battle alone opening up the way for all parties to go to elections. Not about who would win or whether they are liked or not. 

So I guess you could follow your own advice.