Pollution tax on motorcycles now on the table

webfact

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes it would be such an improvement if all the MC riders would drive cars.. just imagine the traffic jams. If anything things should be made better for motorcycles instead of limiting the flyovers they can use and  stupid rules like that. Also most motorcycles pollute far less then the average car (just look at the use of fuel).

This govt is run by apes? Reminds me of that movie Planet of the Apes. Must have been filmed in Thailand at Thais Govt political buildings!

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Just another way to collect more tax from hard working people - so the non-working sons of the elite can buy another V-12 supercar.  Just image what Bangkok congestion and air quality would be like if all those motorcycle riders had cars? 

If environmental protection is really the goal (and nobody believes that) then a congestion charge should be applied to all cars and trucks entering Bangkok.  London air quality improved significantly when people had to start paying to take cars into the city center.

Replacing a few of those ancient buses would be a good idea too.

Ah yes, London.

Such a perfect idea.

Just resulting in higher delivery costs, higher product prices, and let is not forget the destruction of huge amounts of capital of the older cars and the huge pollution value of producing new cars and trucks.

The 3% or so better air has cost a few quid.....

Or was it the closing down of several older factories?

Edited by hansnl

4 hours ago, CGW said:

Please read my post again instead of a needless attack, I purposefully said " screaming, annoying, irritating cement mixer on steroid engines " standard machines (unmodified!) - no problem.

Agree! also be very nice if motorcycle drivers had some respect for the rest of the population and didn't modify the exhaust system increasing not only the levels of pollution due to the additional un-burnt fuel being added to the atmosphere, but adding immensely to the noise pollution we endure on a daily basis.

Get a grip mate...  the pollution from motorbikes is minuscule compared to that from cars, trucks, buses and diesel items.

You might not like the sound, but you really need to think about stuff before you post something like this

Edited by drgoon

I don't know which is the more hazardous to my health on the road: The crazy driving or the badly maintained diesel engines spewing out thick, choking, black smoke.

If they are really serious about reducing pollution, those badly maintained diesel engines is where I would start.

9 minutes ago, drgoon said:

Get a grip mate...  the pollution from motorbikes is minuscule compared to that from cars, trucks, buses and diesel items.

You might not like the sound, but you really need to think about stuff before you post something like this

I shall remain silent as English is obviously not your first language and you are struggling to comprehend exactly what I wrote. :shock1:

It helps if you break the sentence into smaller parts and try to digest each part, then you might comprehend that I really trying the point that motorcycles are major polluters, but noisy !astrd things for the most part.

Try to think before you post!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I drive both a car and a m/c in BKK i prefer the MC but I do hate it that there are so many flyovers you can't use. Now if i were to use my car i would pollute more.. and add to the traffic while my motorbike has far less traffic influence. 

So like you said this is not about pollution but about money. 

It's not just the flyovers, banning bigger bikes from using certain highways and forcing them on to the frontage roads is pure lunacy, ie the highway that goes past the Don Muang Airport.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

quite possible, military toys and popular policies cost a lot of money. If they were serious they would just start by fining cars and bikes that belch out black smoke. 

A lot of the worst vehicles you see emitting clouds of black soot are bkk city buses

Some should have probably been scrapped a decade ago but I guess if the mechanics can still make it run then it generates revenue

Money again! 

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Tax the fuel and then those who use more will pay more.

Oh I see, so I am riding a Forza and should pay more tax on my fuel to subsidise all these cars and trucks belching out black smoke, and the over noisy motorbikes??

3 hours ago, poanoi said:

i think scooters will be naturally phased out in favor of electric scooters in cities,

its already ongoing in china and can be speed up in thailand too.

the issue in for example pattaya is not CO2, but traffic jam,

and the biggest problem is cars, both those parked on one of the traffic lanes, and those clogging up the remaining lane

I know I go on about my hatred of those who ride over noisy motorbikes, but I have to say that electric motorbikes would cause more accidents as people would not hear them coming.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Oh I see, so I am riding a Forza and should pay more tax on my fuel to subsidise all these cars and trucks belching out black smoke, and the over noisy motorbikes??

Cars already pay more in both fuel and taxes 

Noisy motorbikes are already illegal so that's just a matter of enforcement of already existing laws

I don't have any knowledge of what commercial vehicles pay so I can't answer that one

In Chiangmai, first step should be to ensure the over 50% of motorcycles without plates, tax or insurance are dealt with. Traffic enforcement cameras are no use without current keeper details, and no tax can be collected.

Part is lack of enforcement, part is the archaic system for registering and changing ownership. Overall, it’s easier to break the law with little chance of being caught.

once again another display of incompetence. It's not new bikes doing the damage you silly men. It the old vehicles ploughing smoke which l encounter every 6th vehicle in Chonburi. You know this and are once again ignoring the fact the police are useless lol. No reform has taken place.

So now you lie again to get money and not solve the issue. Just like you lie about reforms. This is why it imperative your removed from office. Next I vote for a 15 year school kid.

• Like 1

First ban the 2stroke engines, motocycles and tuktuk's and lawnmowers.

Then ban ALL VEHICLES that use more than 1 litre for 10 km....all those big SUV's and pickups belong on the countryside, not in the city.

Then give clean/efficient motocycles (or electric ones) a special lane, also on the tollways...so many more cardrivers will use a motocy so congestion will be stopped.

Also get rid of the bahtbuses, tricycles and everything else which blocks the trafficflow.

Make the skytrains very cheap, build a good passengerboat system with electric motors on solarpower...build more big supermarkets with parkinglot so bangkokians can easy shop and buy everything in 1 time...markets will disappear which also causes loads of traffic from big cars.

It's time to grow up now Thailand and look what they did in Tokyo or London.

Rather than float some lofty idea about "pollution tax" on motorcycles that would be hard to collect amongst other things...how about tightening the existing laws and cracking down on making people that use motorcycles pay road tax, have insurance and heaven forbid have a license. Would make more sense.

Edited by Sir Dude
  • Like 1