How long before expiration is it possible to renew a Driving License ?

federicoP

I have a two years driving license that will expire on June 2018.

I will not be here at that time, so I would like to renew it before, but I do not know how long before the expiring date I could go to get a new one.

I know that after the expiring date I will have one year to renew the old one, but I would not like to drive here, even for a few days, without a valid license.

Does anybody have this information ?

3 hours ago, 007cableguy said:

Mine expires in May but I’m not back till November!..Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Renew in November, and be very careful on your way to the DLT.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

why?  do IT AFTER it expires and get an extra year

last time i did mine the day after my Birthday ( the day  it expired) got 6 years

Richard you also have 5 year dl. They can be renewed after expire date for 1 year.

Imho the 2 years lost their validity after expire date and have to renewed before up to 3 month. Once this temporary dl expired you have to start from 0 again.

Edited by schlog
  • Like 1

went to renew my 5 year license and he said,  O, this has been expired too long you have to start all over. sit through a video and take a driving test, after having a Singaporion license, Malaysian license, 2 licenses in the U.S.

Driving in Thailand for 16 years. Driving for for 60 years. 

This is really a bunch of crap, really humiliating. 

went back to California my license had expired 8 years no problem gave me a new one.

1 minute ago, uffe123 said:

went to renew my 5 year license and he said,  O, this has been expired too long you have to start all over. sit through a video and take a driving test, after having a Singaporion license, Malaysian license, 2 licenses in the U.S.

Driving in Thailand for 16 years. Driving for for 60 years. 

This is really a bunch of crap, really humiliating. 

went back to California my license had expired 8 years no problem gave me a new one.

In Thailand, you can renew your 5-year licence if it is less than 1-year past expiry. 

If more than 1-year past expiry you have to do the Eye & reaction test etc and watch the video (a couple of hours in total).

If I'm not mistaken you have to renew your 2 year Temp licence before it expires. 

Also note: You cannot renew a 2 or a 5-year licence for a 5-year licence without a Non-Immigrant Visa. 

If you do not hold a Non-Immigrant Visa you can only obtain a 2-year Temp licence upon renewal.

It's hardly humiliating - it's just the way it is.

12 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

if you're really worried about driving 5mins with no licence(when most expats have none for 20+ yrs)

Get an international one in your country for like 30-40$ at AAA

Let me add.........(when most expats and local thais have none....) lol.

• 1 month later...

Last Thursday I renewed my temporary license (two years validity), just three months before its expiring date.

Got a new one lasting five years + my birthday date.

Staff very kind (I am used to the Immigration staff.....) and good and fast organization.

And no video presentation !!!!!!  (the things seem to change every week :smile:)

Last Thursday I renewed my temporary license (two years validity), just three months before its expiring date.
Got a new one lasting five years + my birthday date.
Staff very kind (I am used to the Immigration staff.....) and good and fast organization.

And no video presentation !!!!!!  (the things seem to change every week [emoji2])
What visa have you got?

3 hours ago, federicoP said:

And no video presentation !!!!!!  (the things seem to change every week :smile:)

Was the same to me.

Motorcycle license from 2 yr to 5 yr, last year.

Just paperwork, no tests, no video.

Different recently, car license, 5 yr to 5 yr.

Physical tests and some fairly short video presentation.

Khon Kaen 2, (Chumphae).

Always up to a surprise :smile:

At least the devices for reaction test and depth perception were functional.

They were broken in 2012. No such tests.

Edited by KhunBENQ

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Was the same to me.

Motorcycle license from 2 yr to 5 yr, last year.

Just paperwork, no tests, no video.

Different recently, car license, 5 yr to 5 yr.

Physical tests and some fairly short video presentation.

Khon Kaen 2, (Chumphae).

Always up to a surprise :smile:

At least the devices for reaction test and depth perception were functional.

They were broken in 2012. No such tests.

Video seems to be done for 5 to 5, not 2 to 5.

21 hours ago, wgdanson said:

There is NO SUCH THING.

There is the International Driver Permit ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit )  that is regulated by the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. (license valid for three years)

Thailand has not yet ratified this convention (it takes time....) , so here they apply only the old 1949 Geneve Convention (license valid one year).

This last license is recognized by the Transport Department and with this, you can apply for a Thai driving license without the need of test. (I have direct experience on this )

7 minutes ago, federicoP said:

There is the International Driver Permit ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit )  that is regulated by the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. (license valid for three years)

Thailand has not yet ratified this convention (it takes time....) , so here they apply only the old 1949 Geneve Convention (license valid one year).

This last license is recognized by the Transport Department and with this, you can apply for a Thai driving license without the need of test. (I have direct experience on this )

IDP is a translation document that "accompanies" your home license. You get a Thai license by presenting your home license, IDP is just a translation document, not a stand alone license.

The validity of an IDP is how long it is valid as a translation document, nothing to do with how long you can drive on your home license.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

IDP is a translation document that "accompanies" your home license. You get a Thai license by presenting your home license, IDP is just a translation document, not a stand alone license.

Ok, you need to have with you also your original driving license but, if your original license is not in english language, with the International Driving Permit as per the 1949 Convention you can get the Thai License, if you go with the IDP as per the 1968 convention, you are refused the license.

21 minutes ago, federicoP said:

Ok, you need to have with you also your original driving license but, if your original license is not in english language, with the International Driving Permit as per the 1949 Convention you can get the Thai License, if you go with the IDP as per the 1968 convention, you are refused the license.

You get a thai license based on your home license, I have 2 Thai licenses (Car,Bike) and all I presented was my Australian license. Some DLTs may ask for an IDP as a "translation" of your home license (usually if not in english), others (outside of tourist areas) may even ask for a certified translation.  

You dont hand over your IDP and get a license, you hand over your home license and get a Thai license. Again, the IDP is a "translation" document .

Edited by Peterw42

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Rubbish, you get a thai license based on your home license, I have 2 Thai licenses (Car,Bike) and all I presented was my Australian license. Some DLTs may ask for an IDP as a "translation" of your home license (usually if not in english), others (outside of tourist areas) may even ask for a certified translation.  

You dont hand over your IDP and get a license, you hand over your home license and get a Thai license. Again, the IDP is a "translation" document .

You may call it as you like, it is not a problem, also if at the International Conventions it has been decided to call it "International Driving Permit". 

But if you go to the Transport Departement in Phuket with your original license (not in english) and the IDP as per 1968 convention (that should be considered a "translation"), you are refused.

If you go with your license and the IDP as per 1949 convention, you get your thai license.