‘Robbed’ woman apologises for damaging taxi drivers’ reputation

snoop1130

‘Robbed’ woman apologises for damaging taxi drivers’ reputation

By The Nation

575cda7408d5629738c0aece69721077.jpeg

A woman who has confessed to filing a false complaint with police claiming a taxi driver had robbed her, has apologised for damaging the reputation of all taxi drivers.

Thongprakai Suksriraj, 26, issued the apology during a press conference held at the Metropolitan Police Bureau at 11.30am on Thursday.

She filed a complaint with the Lard Prao police station at 3.45am on Wednesday, claiming to have been robbed of a handbag with Bt14,000 in cash at the Nida intersection while taking a taxi from an entertainment venue in the Ratchada area to her condominium in the Seri Thai area.

Thongprakai said she cut her own left arm with a razor due to the stress she developed after being left to raise her child alone.

She said she lied to a friend to whom she owed money, and the friend took her to file the complaint with police out of genuine concern for her.

“The wounds were self-inflicted with a razor. I did it under stress,” she told the media. “At that moment, I thought there was no way out. I felt under tremendous pressure.

“Now, the stress is heavier,” she said.

"I filed the complaint because my friend led me to, because she was concerned about me. She thought [my story] was real, so the issue escalated out of control."

Raising her hands in a wai, Thongprakai said: “I would like to offer my apology to all taxi drivers for damaging their reputation.”

Lard Prao police chief Pol Colonel Passakorn Ratanapanadda said Thongprakai faces two counts of charges, including filing false statements with the authorities, which carries a maximum jail term of three years and a maximum fine of Bt5,000.

Thongprakai was also charged with violating the computer crime act by posting false information after posting the lie about the robbery on her Facebook wall. The charge carries a maximum jail term of five years and a maximum fine of Bt100,000.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30339466

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-2-22
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Darcula said:

Now, I'm starting to doubt the other story of that wanking cabbie. Poor chap probably is just suffering from Parkinsons and needs treatment.

Parkinsons and itchy balls is quite plausible.......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

"taxi drivers' reputation" Looks like an oxymoron to me. :thumbsup:

But there are, no doubt, some decent taxi drivers around.

Quite a few. The problem, to mix and match adages, is that they don't, as a group, condemn the bad apples, so they all are tarred with the same brush. 

• Like 1

It's OK sweetie, you're a bit of a nutcase, that's for sure, but when it comes to the reputation of taxi drivers in Bangkok, don't loose any sleep over it because there isn't much left to damage, and it's been that way for a loooong time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I filed the complaint because my friend led me to, because she was concerned about me. She thought [my story] was real, so the issue escalated out of control."

Always deflection of responsibility with this lot.

I have never come across one that cannot look you in the eye and lie through their teeth if confronted. :hit-the-fan:

I think the apology actually helps the taxi drivers more than if she did not apologize. It just shows there's two sides to every story and not to believe all complaints. I know there are a lot of bad taxi drivers out there but when it's Justified it should be documented. The truth came out in the end

5 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Ah, but the story needs to have a substantial element of truth to justify a charge of defamation under Thai law. 

I'm sure you have some good points, but I would feel awful if anybody wrongly accused me in public and all over social media, for a crime I did not commit.

Typical story. Girl has a baby .no one to help her and she gets desperate.

pretty sad story.

There is no system in asia to help single moms. Thats why every single bar girl in thailand has a kid.

If they say they dont they are lying.

Thats also why bar girls are let alone. Its thai version of helping out a desperate mother.

Not that its a bad thing. I have no issues with this system. But once in a while a girl falls through the thai system

I am sure cab drivers understand her perfectly.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 9:55 AM, lvr181 said:

"taxi drivers' reputation" Looks like an oxymoron to me. :thumbsup:

But there are, no doubt, some decent taxi drivers around.

quite right.what if there were an independent, efficient investigator looking into this matter? would we uncover more dirty secrets? Eg the girl was threatened to rescind her accusations by some small time gangsters hired by...

• Haha 1