Aflatoxin found in all 27 milk samples tested, but they are still safe for consumption

webfact

Aflatoxin found in all 27 milk samples tested, but they are still safe for consumption

By Thai PBS

schoolmilk.jpg

Twenty-seven samples of school milk and fresh milk from retail stores were all found to be contaminated with aflatoxin, a poisonous carcinogen produced by fungi, but its amount is within acceptable level, according to the Foundation for the Consumers’ Smart Buyer Magazine.

Of the 27 milk samples tested, 14 of them were school milk obtained from schools in Bangkok and from Phayao, Chachoengsao, Khon Kaen, Surat Thani and Ayutthaya while 13 other samples were collected from convenience or retail stores.

According to the FFC, laboratorial tests showed the amount of aflatoxin found in the 27 samples range from a minimum of 0.03 microgramme/kilogramme to a maximum of 0.08 microgramme/kg compared to the Public Health Ministry’s standard which set the acceptable contamination level at not exceeding 20 parts per billion (ppb) or 20 microgramme/kg and CODEX standard at not exceeding 0.5 microgramme/kg.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/aflatoxin-found-27-milk-samples-tested-still-safe-consumption/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-23

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Aflotoxins are produced by fungus. The fungus can be spread through the air and inhabits warm damp areas. Milk processing is done in warm moist areas. It is very hard to eliminate because you don't want antifungals in your milk either. This is why there are acceptable levels allowed.

Aflatoxin is also one of the main problems with peanuts. In fact if a certain level is found when peanuts are brought to processing, they are "supposed" to be destroyed...but I suspect these rejected loads find their way into animal feed and hence into the milk supplies. Greed over all

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tonray said:

Aflatoxin is also one of the main problems with peanuts. In fact if a certain level is found when peanuts are brought to processing, they are "supposed" to be destroyed...but I suspect these rejected loads find their way into animal feed and hence into the milk supplies. Greed over all

BTW most peanut butter brands test for a low level of Aflatoxin ....I was once advised by a peanut farmer in the USA to only buy a couple of major brands because their processing and standards were high enough to be safe. He said that many cheaper off brands were not safe so its not unusual to have levels found in the food supply.

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

And Aflatoxin is appearently a poison that is not good for people.

Thats a bit too simple.

Ever heard of "the dose makes the poison"? (Paracelsus; 1493-1541).

It simply means that everything and nothing can be a poison, it all depends on the amount you take.

The smallest measurable amount of rat "poison" will do nothing to you when you ingest it, while drinking a large amount of water in a short time will kill you (hyponatremia). 

That does not make rat poison "save" and water a poison.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Thats a bit too simple.

Ever heard of "the dose makes the poison"? (Paracelsus; 1493-1541).

It simply means that everything and nothing can be a poison, it all depends on the amount you take.

The smallest measurable amount of rat "poison" will do nothing to you when you ingest it, while drinking a large amount of water in a short time will kill you (hyponatremia). 

That does not make rat poison "save" and water a poison.

Really!??? That was actually brilliant written made up BS, that sounds so convincing so you would probably turn the head of many people .Yeah, of course not without your fantastic friend Paracelsus. :cheesy:

However, you will not make senase in todays modern world in any kind of way. Today we have things that we call and categorize as toxic substances, which when they are inhaled or eaten also goes under the name poison.

I will also like to thank you for your fantastic and unique facts, that you can survive rat poison and you can die if you drink to much water. That is approx. same intelligent as saying a 1 minute fried beefburger is more raw than a 4 minute fried, but that will not make it uneatable.

Once again, regarding Paracelsus. To me it seems like we can put that guy in a parcel, and use some modern understandable knowledge instead.

Edited by Get Real

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Aflotoxins are produced by fungus. The fungus can be spread through the air and inhabits warm damp areas. Milk processing is done in warm moist areas. It is very hard to eliminate because you don't want antifungals in your milk either. This is why there are acceptable levels allowed.

Coffee can also be affected. I believe 4 mould species can produce aflatoxins. Coffee is actually checked but not Yes/No. There are also maximum limits.

Note the extremely low levels. Truth is these contaminants have always been in our foods. We are just getting better at realizing that there are there. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Really!??? That was actually brilliant written made up BS, that sounds so convincing so you would probably turn the head of many people .Yeah, of course not without your fantastic friend Paracelsus. :cheesy:

However, you will not make senase in todays modern world in any kind of way. Today we have things that we call and categorize as toxic substances, which when they are inhaled or eaten also goes under the name poison.

I will also like to thank you for your fantastic and unique facts, that you can survive rat poison and you can die if you drink to much water. That is approx. same intelligent as saying a 1 minute fried beefburger is more raw than a 4 minute fried, but that will not make it uneatable.

Once again, regarding Paracelsus. To me it seems like we can put that guy in a parcel, and use some modern understandable knowledge instead.

Unfortunately you are way wide of the mark. Dying by drinking excess water is entirely possible. A blue steak is much less cooked than a well done steak. Both are edible.

Pick up a bottle of nitroglycerine it will blow your arm off. Slip a tablet under your tongue when you heart problems it will save your life.

Its a mad mad World out there !!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

Unfortunately you are way wide of the mark. Dying by drinking excess water is entirely possible.

The only one that is way of the mark is you! Please, bring me my text from a comment I made, when I said that you can´t die of drinking too much water.

My comment was: I will also like to thank you for your fantastic and unique facts, that you can survive rat poison and you can die if you drink to much water.
(That was a sarcastic remark over that somebody told me things that actually every normally intelligent person on the planet already know)

The other things you are right in, but that was irrelevant to my comment. The focus was that we do not live in the 15th century, and that we today classify different things and substances in different categories.

Thank you so much, and I sincerely hope I made you understand now. :smile:

7 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

According to the levelsI in and the levels regulated it is obvious that the present levels are WELL BELOW the danger limits so whats the big deal.I bet if I was to walk around your normal local market,I would see many terrible practices going on that would pale this into insignificance 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

More likely, the toxins are coming in the corn/maize that the dairy cows are eating. Very often, the corn is not dried properly after harvest. Consequently, aflatoxins (and other mycotoxins) form on the corn and then the toxins are eaten by the cow and pass through its body into the milk.  

Same thing can happen when a human mother drinks the cow milk and then breastfeeds her baby - the baby can receive the toxins. (i.e. the same toxins that were in the corn!). 

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

You are trying, in an extremely strange way, to say that these things I said are obvious, while I wrote them as a reaction to someone who not seemed to think of these things.

Great it is obvious to you, appearently it is not to everybody.

Why again are you replying to my comment?

Thats not clear to me, all i can come up with is that you are jealous i pointed it out first and now you are trying to claim part of the "fame" by trivializing the things i wrote.

Sad.

5 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

You are trying, in an extremely strange way, to say that these things I said are obvious, while I wrote them as a reaction to someone who not seemed to think of these things.

Great it is obvious to you, appearently it is not to everybody.

Why again are you replying to my comment?

Thats not clear to me, all i can come up with is that you are jealous i pointed it out first and now you are trying to claim part of the "fame" by trivializing the things i wrote.

Sad.

Are you sure you ate the right medicine today. You started by quoting my comment, that´s why I replied. One should not drink more than they could handle, right?

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Are you sure you ate the right medicine today. You started by quoting my comment, that´s why I replied. One should not drink more than they could handle, right?

Pretty sure.

If it is so clear to you, why you posted your incorrect and stupid comment in the first place?

Appearently you are supersmart, but the little facts i presented were not in your head the moment you made your post.

Anyways, you still behind what you originally posted?

That remark of "acceptable levels of poison that are going to be allowed to push into other human bodies"?

Or you now see that it is a stupid question?

Like many things here i assume the worst and happily get shown better if it arises..

There are all sorts of ppm etc type things allowed in food stuffs the world over. Things like insect and rodent faeces and parts..lol (i got banned from a forum for mentioning that cause someone was grossed out by an animal hair on an audio product)....

And on that note:

Its safe (sic) to assume that most products will be over the allowed amount and its probably only by how far that really counts..

Good luck and safe eating

Ingestion of 2--6 mg/day of aflatoxin for a month can cause acute hepatitis and death(5,6). The largest reported outbreak of aflatoxicosis to date occurred in western India in 1974, resulting in 397 recognized cases and 106 deaths (6). The ongoing epidemic in Kenya already has resulted in 125 recognized deaths.Sep 3, 2004

Don't just brush it off, people have died from this toxic poison. I hope the PM takes the proper precautions so no innocent school children die from drinking school milk.

1 minute ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Don't just brush it off, people have died from this toxic poison. I hope the PM takes the proper precautions so no innocent school children die from drinking school milk.

They let 3 or 4 children drown everyday, who knows how many road fatalities per day, and on, zero chance theyd care if a few die from some milk

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

Pretty sure.

If it is so clear to you, why you posted your incorrect and stupid comment in the first place?

Appearently you are supersmart, but the little facts i presented were not in your head the moment you made your post.

Anyways, you still behind what you originally posted?

That remark of "acceptable levels of poison that are going to be allowed to push into other human bodies"?

Or you now see that it is a stupid question?

No, I do not see that. My opinion is that there is no need for any artificial substances that might be dangerous to childrens or other humans health.
Seen out of that, I look at it as there can not be any accepable levels.

Have a nice evening now, and take good care.