Dept of Land Transport in partnership with British Embassy Bangkok: improving driving licence procedures for foreign nationals

webfact

Department of Land Transport in partnership with British Embassy Bangkok: improving driving licence procedures for foreign nationals

Foreign & Commonwealth Office

s300_IMG_4276-960-x-640.jpg

In collaboration with the British Embassy Bangkok, the Thai Department of Land Transport is working to improve the process of obtaining a driving licence for foreign nationals across Thailand.

These improvements contribute to a wider goal of tackling road safety in Thailand, with an aim to cap the rising number of foreign nationals involved in road traffic accidents.

Improvements will focus on guidelines for obtaining a driving licence; how to prepare for the driving test; raising awareness of specific risks on the road unique to Thailand; and recaps on internationally-recognised driving standards.

Deputy Head of Mission for the British Embassy Bangkok, Margaret Tongue, says:

Reducing the number of road accidents involving British people in Thailand remains a key priority for the British Embassy. This important collaboration illustrates a shared aim of improving driving standards and raising awareness of specific risks on the roads, through developing engaging and accessible materials to aid the driving test process that not only British people will benefit from, but also any other foreigners residing in Thailand.

Deputy Director General of Department of Land Transport, Kamol Buranapong, says:

Department of Land Transport sees the importance in creating the understanding for foreigners wishing to attain a Thai driving licence. This collaboration with the British Embassy Bangkok on this Road Safety initiative to improve process and standard of licencing process will help enhance the understanding for foreigners and, meanwhile, protecting their right as a road user under Thai laws. Foreigners can receive a Thai driving licence with the same standard procedures with any other vehicle types by receiving training about relevant laws, rules for using roads in Thailand, written and practical tests.

Based on a survey conducted with British customers needing consular services, the partnership has helped kick start three initiatives that include the production of a 45-minute English language instructional video, covering road traffic laws, road usage, techniques for driving safely and driving etiquette. This is a part of the Thai driving test for foreign nationals.

Other initiatives are the production of a 3-minute English language video explaining the process for renewing, transferring and applying for a driving licence as a foreign national and re-translation of the online driving test for English speaking applicants.

The Department of Land Transport will use these materials for English speaking applicants at all driving test centres and transport offices across Thailand. This will ensure that foreign drivers are aware of road safety rules and regulations; the consequences of their own behaviour to themselves and to others; and law enforcement in Thailand.

Further information

Thailand welcomes just over 1,000,000 British visitors each year and it is also home to over 50,000 British people and their families.

Safety for British people visiting, living and working in Thailand is a key priority of the British Embassy Bangkok, with road safety being an important aspect of this.

Last year (2017), 5% of total casework (71 cases) from the Consular Department at the British Embassy Bangkok involved providing assistance to British people involved in road accidents.

The top five provinces for road traffic accidents involving British people are Surat Thani, Phuket, Chiangmai, Chonburi (Pattaya) and Bangkok.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/department-of-land-transport-in-partnership-with-british-embassy-bangkok-improving-driving-licence-procedures-for-foreign-nationals

-- GOV.UK 2018-02-23

30 minutes ago, webfact said:

raising awareness of specific risks

Like you don't know , starting the list =

1) driving against traffic 

2) unable to stay in one lane

3) the list is so long

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All will be fine if the British embassy are involved :stoner:

More than likely they will make it worse for us.

As we all know how much the British government care about us. !!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheesy:

More Tom foolery about a  month to early. :smile: 

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is a weird one....  Obtaining a Thai Drivers licence is a relatively simple process - there really isn't much to do that needs improvement unless they are going to do away with the Affirmation of Residence requirement.

I fail to recognise how this may have any impact on road safety in Thailand whatsoever

It seems another boat has been missed in the haste for media lipservice and a photo-op.

Another boat - don't you mean "amphibious car"?

The number of accidents in which foreign people who are residents (and thus require a Thai driving licence) are involved is probably negligent compared to the number in which Thai people are involved.

Since I for one drive a lot more careful here than I used to in my homeland, chances are that the averige number of accidents is even lower that at home....

My two cents: this is just another moneymaking scheme to make life more miserable for the farang, and make Thai officials richer at the same time. Win-win, they would say.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Actual "road regulations" between the two countries are predominantly similar, have no idea what "Thai uniqueness" entails.

Perhaps disregard what you are accustomed to by following strict regulation, and adopt a survivalist  approach in the unenforced mayhem that is Thailand and transportation.

I reckon you've nailed it.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Most of the road accidents involving foreigners here, British or otherwise, usually involve tourists. I can't see how improving driving licence procedures will reduce those numbers much.

In fact, the British drive on the same side of the road as Thailand, so they are probably less likely to have an accident.

No, in the U.K. drivers tend to stick to the left.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

And paid for by British taxpayers, no doubt through the monstrous .7% of GDP aid programme

Nah, don´t worry! This is not a problem. According to May, that money will be back in no time as soon as Brexit is finished. :crazy::cheesy:

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

They still do speak Ingrish to some extent though, innit.

Strangely enough, last time I was there, the government driver who picked me up at the hotel said we had time for some sight seeing before the meeting (think they'd told him to make sure I arrived later!). But he was a good guide, spoke very good English and was really proud of the Queen Victoria statue. The most "English" of all the Indian cities I visited.

But the call centers are usually not there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Department of Land Transport in partnership with British Embassy Bangkok: improving driving licence procedures for foreign nationals

"Other initiatives are the production of a 3-minute English language video explaining the process for renewing, transferring and applying for a driving licence as a foreign national and re-translation of the online driving test for English speaking applicants."

Bit of an oversell from the British Embassy in their headline, versus the staggeringly helpful 3 minute video. Of course, I might have to eat my words if it is comprehensive, and includes important information that not even the Department of Land & Transport can provide on their website, such as which form to complete, whether you need photographs, (you don't anymore) and where you go for processing, location, which building, which floor etc. (All of this was/is provided by TV readers and contributors, for the simple reason the DLT doesn't provide that.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Actual "road regulations" between the two countries are predominantly similar, have no idea what "Thai uniqueness" entails.

Perhaps disregard what you are accustomed to by following strict regulation, and adopt a survivalist  approach in the unenforced mayhem that is Thailand and transportation.

There are very real dangers for tourists from the UK (or other 'road-civilised' countries) coming to Thailand, expecting at least basic law and order on the roads. 

In my opinion, one of the most dangerous things in Thailand (for those unaware of the reality here) is zebra crossings. The things are a death-trap for pedestrians. They should be scrapped this minute (in fact, they should have been gotten rid of years ago) - as they are utterly meaningless here (just pretty marks on the tarmac), and lull the unsuspecting pedestrian visitor into a false sense of having 'right of way' - whereas in Thailand no one has any rights - except for 'might is right' (and look at the biggest example of that - the men with tanks and guns - and beyond them to heavenly Thai levels of greatness beyond my pay-grade to comment on ...!).

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2