Plastering ceilings

keithkarmann

We are getting near the end of building our house in Sukothai and we need the ceilings plastering to a good standard. All we seem to get offerered is taping and plastering the joints and sanding. But having looked at some ceilings done by the best plasterers in the area the joints can still be seen. I want the joints taped and the whole of the ceiling plastering as in the UK. My wife tells me that in Thailand this can't be done but I will not take her answer because if I look up and see joints and inperfections I will not be too happy. The house we are renting in Chiang Mai has plastered ceilings that are up to my standards but can this be achieved with just doing the joints? We were on our way back from the suppliers having bought only one back of plaster and my wife informed me that we needed paint to cover the screws that are holding the conwood boards up in the bathrooms as the screws will be visible when the plasterers have finnsihed. I was amazed at this so when we saw the builders they confirmed that the screws would be visible-why bother having it done if it does not look good. So am I expecting too much with wanting good quality 100% plastered ceilings in Thailand. So we are now looking for plasterers again who can do the job properly. I think the boards are called plaster boards for a reason so they can be plastered.

All plasterboard can be tape and jointed, the plaster just adds an extra firebreak, most other countries outside of the UK use thicker boards to compensate thats all
Tape and joint normally leaves a much better finish overall as manual plaster cannot compete with a machine surfaced board for true

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

On 23/02/2018 at 8:51 PM, keithkarmann said:

my wife informed me that we needed paint to cover the screws that are holding the conwood boards up in the bathrooms as the screws will be visible when the plasterers have finnsihed.

The screws should have been sunk into the conwood then filled and sanded before painting that would make them difficult to see.

I want the joints taped and the whole of the ceiling plastering as in the UK.

I think the boards are called plaster boards for a reason so they can be plastered.

Good luck with getting anyone to understand what you want, and even better luck finding someone with the skill to put any decent finish to a plastered ceiling. Just because it is done in the UK doesn't make it the best way or even the only way.

The reason that plaster boards are called plaster boards is because they are boards made from plaster !! Nothing to do with what they can be covered with.

7 hours ago, steve187 said:

forget the plastering and find someone that will make a good job of the taping and filling. anyone that does solely that job would make a good job, no joins or screws visible in my house.

Ditto, even where the sparks cut holes to get at his junction boxes the repairs are invisible, even though I know where they are I can't see the joins.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2018 at 6:14 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

The screws should have been sunk into the conwood then filled and sanded before painting that would make them difficult to see.

Good luck with getting anyone to understand what you want, and even better luck finding someone with the skill to put any decent finish to a plastered ceiling. Just because it is done in the UK doesn't make it the best way or even the only way.

The reason that plaster boards are called plaster boards is because they are boards made from plaster !! Nothing to do with what they can be covered with.

Thanks for the advice. I have already decided to countersink all the screws into the conwood but with the conwood not been very thick it was not easy to sink the screws in like it is with the plasterboard. I will probably regret my decision to tape and plaster all the 100 sq meters myself.

Have ordered 300 meters of 2" self adhesive mesh tape as compared to the 1" non-adhesive tape.

Thanks for the advice. I have already decided to countersink all the screws into the conwood but with the conwood not been very thick it was not easy to sink the screws in like it is with the plasterboard. I will probably regret my decision to tape and plaster all the 100 sq meters myself.
Have ordered 300 meters of 2" self adhesive mesh tape as compared to the 1" non-adhesive tape.
If you are doing the tape and jointing yourself and are not experienced be prepared for a lot of sanding

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I can not speak of the gypsum ceiling teams in Sukothai , but I have been very satisfied with the husband and wife team I hired in Buriram. They just completed a bathroom remodel for my daughter.  I took these photos at a Buriram Village house in February 2018. The design might be for everyone, yet it was affordable and the craftsmanship was up to my standards. 

Buriram Gypsum drywall ceiling taping plaster.jpg

Buriram Isaan Village Gypsum Ceiling plaster tpe.jpg

Buriram gypsum ceiling installation.jpg

Buriram Isaan Gypsum ceiling plastering.jpg

• Like 1