Dash cams help req'd.

Carlosm

O.K. ..... after seeing so many posts that involve dash cams saving people, who have them mounted, from lairs and con artist's i decided its time to buy one. So, opened up Lazada.com and typed in 'dash cam' into their search engine thinking i'd get a few hundred to filter down to the one in my price bracket..... got over 22 thousand to chose from. Mind blowing and very confusing. Thought that the one most people ordered must now be out of date (like mobile phones) so again, dont know what to think.

To put it mildly, i'm not too camera savvy. Basically i'm looking for a dash cam thats got a clear picture and if the sh*t hits the fan and i need it for evidence there's no confusion over what happened. Not too interested in lane alert or the car infront too close alert etc just really clear play back and idiot proof.

So, all opinions as too the latest model and a price tag around 2000 baht. Tried googling it but most of them are too expensive or not available over here.

And basically, everyone reading this who hasn't got one should click on 'follow this' and eventually buy one... like life insurance, you dont want to think... wish i'd bought it before it happened !

I been trying to do these cams on the cheap and I've gone through 2 of them in 2 years. 1 lasted 8 days and was supposed to be the upgrade.

First one has lasted a while just £18 front camera only. Using it again now. Brought from uk using ebay.

Went back to uk last month got a dual cam with front and back recording/motion detection/auto deletes. £35 from ebay. Screen just went blank a week in. Gutted.

Got to be a front and back camera IMO.

ANY one got a good cam that's available here? Cost? Where to buy?

I'd suggest finding a local shop that installs them. See what they have to offer, what quality the cameras and recordings look like.

While you can connect the simple ones to your cigarette lighter and suction it to your front wind screen, the nicer models replace your rear-view mirror and provide forward and backup cameras. 

I had an all singing all dancing front/rear split screen camera fitted in my old Fortuner although it lasted years came to the conclusion the rear one was a complete waste of space.

New Tuner I have fitted a Priority Hero 1 camera cost 1.800bt fitted, fits nicely behind the mirror. Has been in the lump for 10 months from new, not a problem with the operation of same.

I just purchased two of these from Lazada on the recommendation of a friend who also has two of them.

Extremly well made, HD, Large view screen, day night function, starts recording if the car is hit when parked, locks the recording if the car is in an accident. takes a 16gb TF card but be sure to set up your prefs including language before inserting card as that locks the funcions. All that for just B799  :smile:

https://www.lazada.co.th/gp4-wdr-parking-monitor-30-t626se-3-black-8016958.html?spm=a2o4m.order-details.0.0.6eb06957rorOpv

EDIT

And they somehow managed to deliver them COD the very next day.

When buying a TF card make sure they have a 4 in a circle in them these are the preferred cards for dash cams  

49 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I had an all singing all dancing front/rear split screen camera fitted in my old Fortuner although it lasted years came to the conclusion the rear one was a complete waste of space.

I also have a front /rear split screen camera in one of our two CRVs it uses a telescopic rear view lens but the CRV rear window is so small it is as you say almost useless, I have dumped it in favor of the new ones in the previous post. 

15 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I just purchased two of these from Lazada on the recommendation of a friend who also has two of them.

Extremly well made, Large view screen, day night function, starts recording if the car is hit when parked, locks the recording if the car is in an accident. takes a 16gb TF card but be sure to set up your prefs including language before inserting card as that locks the funcions. All that for just B799  :smile:

https://www.lazada.co.th/gp4-wdr-parking-monitor-30-t626se-3-black-8016958.html?spm=a2o4m.order-details.0.0.6eb06957rorOpv

EDIT

And they somehow managed to deliver them COD the very next day.

When buying a TF card make sure they have a 4 in a cirlcle in them these are the preferred cards for dash cams  

T26 or T26SE?

I didn't want a screen distracting my view... I thus went for a 'screenless' dash-cam that I've placed and is hidden by the rear-view mirror. 

I can connect directly to the cam via Wifi whenever I want to either see the live-view or download recorded events. 

The cam records in 1080 HD (at 60 fps with 139-degree field of view) on a loop overwriting previous files unless locked. Files are locked when 'g-settings' are exceeded (i.e. bump or during a crash etc).

The Brand is Blackvue: I've been using their cameras for 8 years or so (3 different models in 3 different cars). 

In each, I have fit the Camera myself... simple Mounting to the windscreen and ran the cables under the upholstery to the 12v port on the centre console so the cables are all hidden. The Cam could also be installed directly to a 12v power source for parked mode monitoring, however, I've not done this.

There is also a rear-cam which I'd installed on my previous car, but it broke (after 2 years) and I never bothered with replacement. When fitting on my latest car the wiring loom along which the cam cable would need to be run was too narrow in-which to thread the cam-cables, I've therefore not bothered to purchase a replacement rear-cam. The main forward facing cam still works fine. 

I'm now researching Cam's for my Motorbike... something which is permanent and directly wired into the power supply, not something stuck on my helmet which I need to turn on and off every time I use my motorcycle. Something forward and rear facing (separate cameras), weatherproof, theft proof (discrete)..

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

That's a may be but it's still working and in warrantee for a few months more. Just pointed out that if they only give a Warrantee for 3 months doesn't sound to promising.

I bought one for 799 (different brand) from Lazada more than 4 years ago, still working fine. Perhaps you paid a 1000 baht more for an extra 9 months warranty?

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I bought one for 799 (different brand) from Lazada more than 4 years ago, still working fine. Perhaps you paid a 1000 baht more for an extra 9 months warranty?

I didn't pay anything for mine, it was a freebee from Toyota when I brought the new lump. Like wise the auto folding W/Mirrors, wheel arch covers, That Toyo don't fit. Toyo wanted a year guarantee on all the good's I had fitted. Up to them. 

Wife has/had a B600 cam in her CRV that we bought seven years ago, it still works fine and is being passed to young sister for her car. after all Its just a simple recording device with a lens and a TF card, not many moving parts to go wrong :biggrin:   

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I didn't pay anything for mine, it was a freebee from Toyota when I brought the new lump. Like wise the auto folding W/Mirrors, wheel arch covers, That Toyo don't fit. Toyo wanted a year guarantee on all the good's I had fitted. Up to them. 

Thought you said it cost 1800 baht fitted?

Be  a little careful with the mirror dash cams some are manufactured for the US market and have the lens on the left back side of the mirror, when mirror is installed and angled for a RH drive the lens is not able to be turned to fully cover the RH side of the road.

Here is my suggestion...

https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi-yi-car-dash-cam-1080p-camera-wifi-dvr-gray-action-cam-81630323.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.46.5e57496avw3gU9

This is a bit more than the others but it gives you the option of viewing and adjusting all the setting via a WiFi smartphone app which is al in English... the field of view is huge... and you can easily view and download any recordings to your phone or iPad without having to remove the SD card  (I would recommend that anyone who owns a cam to test that their cam cam download video that is retrievable)  ... I’ve have this about a year with no problems - check out the video and screen shots below (note there is a lot of reflection from the windshield - this is not due to the cam but due to the very dark windshield film I had installed)...

Click on the MP4 below...

6200F261-F942-403B-807B-CCF74CF1289B.MP4

57571CB4-6482-479B-9D00-A2A4BCF5BB0C.jpeg

94CD2FD1-5844-4C95-98F2-F7C2BD80DC76.jpeg

3FDAC134-F6D1-4E15-B204-0822260F74F4.jpeg

7 hours ago, Rimmer said:

T626SE

Is that a front cam only. Did you buy 2 for same car? Front and back? Do you know if it has ability to have a rear view cam in one of them? Maybe a lead that's connected to a rear view small cam can be put in it? Your recommendation? Howe long he had his installed?

8 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

That looks exactly like the one I got in the UK and it lasted 8 days and had a shed load of great reviews too. I have the rear cam already from that purchase.

11 hours ago, Rimmer said:

T626SE

Seconded.

Had one of these for about a year, works great and the alloy body seems a whole lot more resilient than the plastic ones that preceded it. The only modification I made was to source a different windscreen suction mount as the OEM one wasn't up to the steeper rake of the Ranger windshield. Bought an after-market one and it now it all hides in front of the rear-view mirror.

Just got a 5% insurance discount from AXA for having it as well.

Hello;

I have read everything possible about dashcams and the 2 best cheap options are Xiaomi Yi and G1W.

But if you have money to throw and if you are the kind of person who spend $1000 in a ridiculous mobile as iphone, you can can buy an overpriced useless blackview, but you do not need this quality and it is so stupid to believe that you will never need a screen on your dashcam, as if wifi connections never had problems.

Some people want to hide their dashcam and pay more for a smaller one, but why ? Is your cheap pickup so beautiful that a dashcam will break its style ? And don't you think that the purpose of a dashcam is also TO BE SEEN, for example when a cop stops you ? I find so stupid people who want to hide a dashcam to secretly record ?! My idea is that a dashcam should be seen to push the people to be careful, and I am sure that it works, especially with cops and when in car parks.

So if you are a little smart and don't want to waste your money buy a G1W or a Xiaomi, but it seems that the Xiaomi doesn't like high temperature so much, so I chose the G1W.

I would never buy anything cheaper, and also, people should start to understand in 2018 that if you have bought a Xiaomi or G1W that didn't last long, you bough a wrong one, a kind of Chinese copy of a Chinese products. Next time do your homework and buy with a brain, you won't have these problems.

Buy your xiaomi or g1w from a reputable seller as Moretech and it will last as long as the ridiculous 8000 thb blackvue. Some people have been using their cheap dashcam for years.

6 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Hello;

I have read everything possible about dashcams and the 2 best cheap options are Xiaomi Yi and G1W.

But if you have money to throw and if you are the kind of person who spend $1000 in a ridiculous mobile as iphone, you can can buy an overpriced useless blackview, but you do not need this quality and it is so stupid to believe that you will never need a screen on your dashcam, as if wifi connections never had problems.

Some people want to hide their dashcam and pay more for a smaller one, but why ? Is your cheap pickup so beautiful that a dashcam will break its style ? And don't you think that the purpose of a dashcam is also TO BE SEEN, for example when a cop stops you ? I find so stupid people who want to hide a dashcam to secretly record ?! My idea is that a dashcam should be seen to push the people to be careful, and I am sure that it works, especially with cops and when in car parks.

So if you are a little smart and don't want to waste your money buy a G1W or a Xiaomi, but it seems that the Xiaomi doesn't like high temperature so much, so I chose the G1W.

I would never buy anything cheaper, and also, people should start to understand in 2018 that if you have bought a Xiaomi or G1W that didn't last long, you bough a wrong one, a kind of Chinese copy of a Chinese products. Next time do your homework and buy with a brain, you won't have these problems.

Buy your xiaomi or g1w from a reputable seller as Moretech and it will last as long as the ridiculous 8000 thb blackvue. Some people have been using their cheap dashcam for years.

Stop calling everyone else stupid, retract your ridiculous claim to have "read everything possible about dashcams" and offer something a bit more believable and factual than just your opinion on other, 'no-brain' drivers car fashion foibles.

I have my 1800 baht, twin-lens dash cam located mostly OUT OF SIGHT between the windscreen and the rear-view mirror because I DO NOT need to have a 2" mini-view of what I can see what's in front of me in wonderful, wide, panavision with my own two eyes already. There's an LED that tells me it is turned on and that's all I need to know. Cops don't give a sh!t if you have a camera or not. When you get pulled over, it's end of. Queue the Walter Mitty's who claim to have pointed out their camera to the cop on a shakedown and gotten way with just an angry scowl.... yeah, both of 'em! Not at all sure where having a dash cam empowers a better parking lot experience comes from.

The dash cam market is dominated by Chinese products, Chinese clones of Chinese products and Chinese clones of Chinese clones of Chinese products. Caveat emptor... especially on lazada.

I too dont want a 2" screen in my view when driving, would 'drive' me nuts. I assumed, which i hate to do, that you would just be able to turn the screen off whilst the cam kept on recording. So, is that function available or not ?

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Stop calling everyone else stupid, retract your ridiculous claim to have "read everything possible about dashcams" and offer something a bit more believable and factual than just your opinion on other, 'no-brain' drivers car fashion foibles.

I have my 1800 baht, twin-lens dash cam located mostly OUT OF SIGHT between the windscreen and the rear-view mirror because I DO NOT need to have a 2" mini-view of what I can see what's in front of me in wonderful, wide, panavision with my own two eyes already. There's an LED that tells me it is turned on and that's all I need to know. Cops don't give a sh!t if you have a camera or not. When you get pulled over, it's end of. Queue the Walter Mitty's who claim to have pointed out their camera to the cop on a shakedown and gotten way with just an angry scowl.... yeah, both of 'em! Not at all sure where having a dash cam empowers a better parking lot experience comes from.

The dash cam market is dominated by Chinese products, Chinese clones of Chinese products and Chinese clones of Chinese clones of Chinese products. Caveat emptor... especially on lazada.

Right Mr Clown, I won't argue, you caught me hahahah

But MANY times because I had a dashcam that was clearly seen, cops didn't even try to ask me any money or write a ticket, including when they were pretending that I was speeding (which is not actually recorded by my webcam, but buffalos don't know).

Also, in case you could be a cop and it is difficult for you to understand, I do not drive with the dashcam screen ON, but of course it will be useful to show to anybody how wrong they are.

Enjoy your life, I wont reply to people who have nothing interesting to say but just cry after seeing how wrong they are.

7 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

I too dont want a 2" screen in my view when driving, would 'drive' me nuts. I assumed, which i hate to do, that you would just be able to turn the screen off whilst the cam kept on recording. So, is that function available or not ?

On ever single dashcam. And you can also set it up to turn the screen off after few minutes.

Archived