Self order kiosks at McDonalds

Hal65

I tried them yesterday and it worked pretty smoothly. Picked up my pie and left faster than usual. Usually there is a line for 2 cashiers; now with 4 points of purchase total there is no line. I suppose this will be the future.

Have you guys seen these self order kiosks anywhere else in Pattaya?

Is this the future of restaurant ordering?

• Like 1

In the US it is the future of fast-food ordering, guaranteed. It is already happening in those areas with the highest (e.g. US$15/hr) minimum wages. I was surprised to read they have them in Pattaya, that would be for some reason other than the cost of the worker being more than the machine. Perhaps it is because of the international clientel. How many languages does the kiosk speak fluently?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HLover said:

At least 3 languages: chubby, obese and unhealthy.?

I guess if you already are that way.

I am thin and enjoy a burger there.

250 calories in a single burger.

Nothing wrong for my lifestyle with enjoying a burger and a salad from McD's.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not going to work. The future is automation and millions ( ?billions ) unemployed.

No government is discussing it seriously and probably hoping they can retire before it happens because the :hit-the-fan:is coming.

Short of legislating against the robots it's inevitable as companies seek to remove pesky humans from the workplace, with their demands for minimum wage, sick leave, paid holidays and parental rights.

They are all fools though, as if everyone is unemployed, just who is going to be able to afford to buy what they are selling?

Perhaps they dream of a world where we all just die quietly and leave them selling to the 1%.

Yes we all know what's coming.

But we can keep the brakes on a bit.

So go join the line for now !!!!!!!!!  :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

6 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes we all know what's coming.

But we can keep the brakes on a bit.

So go join the line for now !!!!!!!!!  :jap:

I do, but in most cases automation replaces real people and one doesn't have a choice. Parking building back home replaced several employees with a machine.

Almost every service job can be automated. Fast food, deliveries ( by drone ), checkout operators, bank tellers, receptionists, cinema ticket sellers, taxi drivers, mine machinery operators, car assemblers, fruit pickers, waiters, bartenders and so on.

Be scared, be very scared if a young person. Your future is being stolen and you were too busy looking at a machine to notice.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I do, but in most cases automation replaces real people and one doesn't have a choice. Parking building back home replaced several employees with a machine.

Almost every service job can be automated. Fast food, deliveries ( by drone ), checkout operators, bank tellers, receptionists, cinema ticket sellers, taxi drivers, mine machinery operators, car assemblers, fruit pickers, waiters, bartenders and so on.

Be scared, be very scared if a young person. Your future is being stolen and you were too busy looking at a machine to notice.

You do still have a choice at present

Go join the line.

Same as the check out back home in the supermarkets , go join the line.

don't use the automated ones.

We are not all obsolete at present,  keep the brakes on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stanleycoin said:

You do still have a choice at present

Go join the line.

Same as the check out back home in the supermarkets , go join the line.

don't use the automated ones.

We are not all obsolete at present,  keep the brakes on.

I do, given I'm a Luddite.

Lucky for me I'm also old and not much longer for this life.

If I was at school I'd be planning a career in the military. I'd say the business of killing is going to be the only sure way of not being replaced by a machine for a while. Plenty of jobs miles and miles and miles from the front line for those that have the right qualifications and attitude.

• Like 1

Not going to work. The future is automation and millions ( ?billions ) unemployed.
No government is discussing it seriously and probably hoping they can retire before it happens because the :hit-the-fan:is coming.
Short of legislating against the robots it's inevitable as companies seek to remove pesky humans from the workplace, with their demands for minimum wage, sick leave, paid holidays and parental rights.

They are all fools though, as if everyone is unemployed, just who is going to be able to afford to buy what they are selling?

Perhaps they dream of a world where we all just die quietly and leave them selling to the 1%.

Doesn’t it require people to build, program, install, and maintain these machines?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've been using the self checkout line in the states for years. No surprise Amazon is phasing in checkout free grocery stores at Whole Foods. The minimum wage hike brigade was a little short sighted when it resulted in workers wanting less hours because making too much money at work knocked them out of public assistance maximum wage levels. While the entitlement class keeps demanding more free stuff know that corporations are going to find a way to protect their bottom line. I would expect to see a lot more robots in the very near future. FedEx type shippers will be on the chopping block next. 

13 minutes ago, weegee said:

Does this mean that the machine will deliver what i actually ordered....Like order a Big Mac and find it's a spicy chicken in the bag, as is the case sometimes at present.....Bring on the machines.

There is a machine with lots of pictures on it , you press the buttons to show what you want and you get a piece of paper with your order on it , you then take that paper to the counter, where, they take your money and give you your food

6 hours ago, jerry921 said:

In the US it is the future of fast-food ordering, guaranteed.

It is already happening in those areas with the highest minimum wages. //

And just curious, but how much tip do you give to these machines ? :unsure:

These machines are good and they are rolling them out in Australia. The more automated the better which means I don’t have to worry about human error and reduces my waiting time.

The Japanese were onto this years ago when I was there. Some restaurant menus in  Tokyo were actually illuminated on your table and you can turn them on or off when you choose to order.

27 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There is a machine with lots of pictures on it , you press the buttons to show what you want and you get a piece of paper with your order on it , you then take that paper to the counter, where, they take your money and give you your food

Uh 000h ! So the spicy chicken is still a possibility....shows how much I go to MDs.