Brake failure causes a bus to crash into 6 cars on Patong Hill

webfact

I said on here, sometime ago that in 47 years of driving and driving different vehicles I HAVE  NEVER HAD BRAKES FAIL.....must be many on here who have NEVER had THEIR brakes FAIL.

ARE drives of these vehicles TAUGHT what to do id the brakes actually DID FAIL....I doubt it very much !!!

Air, or more correctly, air pressure is what allows truck/bus air brakes to operate properly. If the pressure is weak the brakes won’t engage properly.

This I suspect is the culprit most of the time. Instead of selecting a low gear at the top of the hill the driver keeps dabbing the brakes until all the air is gone. If the bus is automatic maybe the engine speed is insufficient to keep the pressure up if the driver does not manually select a low gear during the descent.

Just a thought...

1 hour ago, tinca tinca said:

I said on here, sometime ago that in 47 years of driving and driving different vehicles I HAVE  NEVER HAD BRAKES FAIL.....must be many on here who have NEVER had THEIR brakes FAIL.

ARE drives of these vehicles TAUGHT what to do id the brakes actually DID FAIL....I doubt it very much !!!

Sad to say some 47 years ago I did have brake fade driving a fully loaded double deck city bus down a long downhill street in the city.  Car in front stopped suddenly, I was a well behind, but still could not stop in time. Just a light touch.  Naturally I blamed the brakes, but now that I am older I can say that I was riding the brakes downhill extensively. Never happened again.

On 28/02/2018 at 11:54 AM, xylophone said:

As you quite rightly say, there is nothing to stop these buses going up and down Patong Hill at any time – – just yesterday at  about 9 AM I was slowed down by four buses crawling up the Patong Hill (creating a long tailback of course) and one more of them had actually come to a halt alongside of the road and all of the Chinese passengers were out in and around the shrubbery nearby.

Police and ambulance were there, so I'm not sure what happened?

According to tread a few months about a coach could the Thai Visa Coach experts said it couldn't happen when I said it could and obviously it has

Edited by Dave67

8 hours ago, Redline said:

Apparently nobody wants to solve the problem 

Start with the correct driver training (not the "corrupt" version); have them pass a stringent test (not buying their way out of it); have random drug tests; trucks/buses/etc to be REALLY roadworthy and pass stringent roadworthy tests; police to enforce the rules at every opportunity and so on...............the other problem is that you cannot fix stupid and many Thai drivers have no idea of their surroundings or in taking steps to avoid problems and no forward or lateral thinking capabilities.

Thinking about it, we are probably farked then!!!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

According to tread a few months about a coach could the Thai Visa Coach experts said it couldn't happen when I said it could and obviously it has

What we have here is a failure to communicate.