Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

4 hours ago, keithpa said:

A wallet containing 100 , 1000 bt notes was found , Rimhart Condo, a few years ago, and handed to security.

Not sure what your point is here. That people often do return money? Yeah that's right. Even taxi drivers.

But these two decided they found money and planned on keeping it. Had they turned the money in they'd have found out right away that it wasn't real.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keithpa said:

Where did i write it was legal? You are twisting things around. Most of you are saying that they knew the money was fake, not proven yet.

You said 9 pages of people saying guilty.

That they tried to change counterfeit notes is a crime, so they are objectively guilty.

1 minute ago, Crash999 said:

That they tried to change counterfeit notes is a crime, so they are objectively guilty.

If they knew it was fake why wouldnt they use it at a 7/11?

7/11 girls wouldnt be able to spot a fake as easily as money changers.

41 minutes ago, ravip said:

:smile:

"Oh, come on, trying to pass some fake notes is hardly the crime of the century"

If passing off some fake currency is nothing to be taken seriously - similarly many other 'minor' crimes can be wiped out, isn't it? Or just ignored? 

Read my posts. I said they should be punished, but not burnt at the stake. OK?

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

This is the bit that I find extremely difficult to understand, at the very least you would expect the local news to have run the story, the only info out there is via their own Facebook pages or the 2 fund me sites, every other report has the origins from these, the local Buriram rag ran the story, source Thai Visa!!

I suspect that this is a scam for sure.

It was on local news but without too many details. Seems their lawyer recommended to stop saying it's Thailand scamming them.

3 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

I do think that we've established that there was no fake money and that this is a gofundme fraud

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Justfine said:

What if their story was true. How does a layman tell real from fake? Unless it's a bad fake it would be hard to tell.

“They came across U.S. currency in the street and believed it to be pure luck,” the post states."

Simple solution isn't it?

Just return the stuff you picked up by the roadside to the authorities instead of shamelessly going on a spending spree! Pure luck? My foot!

It is difficult to imagine how people can justify such low down actions purely to biased thinking.

If they were Thai...

• Like 1

Just now, ravip said:

“They came across U.S. currency in the street and believed it to be pure luck,” the post states."

Simple solution isn't it?

Just return the stuff you picked up by the roadside to the authorities instead of shamelessly going on a spending spree! Pure luck? My foot!

It is difficult to imagine how people can justify such low down actions purely to biased thinking.

If they were Thai...

Finders keepers. Possession is 9/10ths of ownership.

23 hours ago, Miss Pickle said:

Two wholesome looking American girls something does just not ring true with this storey. How much money are they tying to pass off 2 dollars or hundreds? There will be money back from the gofundme page for sure 50.000 dollars for a lawyer I think not .I have been coming here 30 years and have never found a penny in the Street.I think they put it there.

I've found money on the streets many, many times. If you added it up over the many years - 32 to be exact; perhaps 10,000 Baht. My wife found 500 Baht in the parking lot just last night.

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Already guiltly according to people on here.

If you'd bothered to read all the posts you'd know I was actually urging restraint, people were suggesting that they should be jailed and the key thrown away. I said that the crime (if they are guilty) is relatively minor as far as crimes go, it's not up there with murder or human trafficking, however some of the "hang 'em high" brigade chose to see it.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

If you'd bothered to read all the posts you'd know I was actually urging restraint, people were suggesting that they should be jailed and the key thrown away. I said that the crime (if they are guilty) is relatively minor as far as crimes go, it's not up there with murder or human trafficking, however some of the "hang 'em high" brigade chose to see it.

Do I know you?

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Although no one has claimed that this alleged crime is akin to murder .

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Crowd funding is online begging.

Read some of the posts from a few pages back .

It seems very likely that there was no fake money and that they were not arrested and that the whole episode is just a scam to get money from donors , US130 000 is what they are asking for 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although no one has claimed that this alleged crime is akin to murder .

Are you slow? I already said that some people wanted them to serve long prison sentences, never said it was being compared to murder. try and follow what's being written.

Edited by giddyup
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Read some of the posts from a few pages back .

It seems very likely that there was no fake money and that they were not arrested and that the whole episode is just a scam to get money from donors , US130 000 is what they are asking for 

I couldn't give a stuff.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Are you slow? I already said that some people wanted them to serve long prison sentences. try and follow what's being written.

Says you who hasnt kept up with precedings and still doesnt  realise that this whole thing is a scam .

I am slow and I cannot follow what has been written ?  

You are a day behind, do keep up

Edited by sanemax
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Says you who hasnt kept up with precedings and still doesnt  realise that this whole thing is a scam .

I am slow and I cannot follow what has been written ?  

You are a day behind, do keep up

Then why are you arguing about an alleged crime? Now you say no crime has been committed.