Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Rubbish.

I don't see why that's rubbish.  The distributed network aspect of cryptos makes hacking highly unlikely, although over time the hackers may find out how to hack such networks.  It may also be cheaper, although I understand it takes quite a bit of energy to "produce" units of cryptos.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OldSiamHand said:

I don't see why that's rubbish.  The distributed network aspect of cryptos makes hacking highly unlikely, although over time the hackers may find out how to hack such networks.  It may also be cheaper, although I understand it takes quite a bit of energy to "produce" units of cryptos.

It's a pyramid scheme. 

19 minutes ago, Justfine said:

You don't know that billions in aid have gone missing?

You don't know crowd funding is dodgy?

Ok

Yes I do realize that crowd funding is dodgy, my several messages show clearly that I have a negative opinion about crowd funding.

So what's your point?

Edited by scorecard

45 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Ignorant nonsense. 

You keep showing your total ignorance of investing. The founders make billions. People buying now are risking 50 to 100% losses.

Ripple went from 25c to $3.40 to 90c. This is not a currency. This is speculative stuff based on no real substance.

At their peak Ripple was capped at a similar level to Apple, the world's largest company.

This is what happened in the 70s then again with dot com boom.

Most of this crypto stuff will fall over.

Try educating yourself before shooting your mouth off.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Somewhere on their Facebook they wrote that they are going to visit the father. So maybe the guy on the picture is her father who fled from USA because police was looking for him ;)

yes, and made up the story of being arrested for counterfeiting so they could have a sob story to bilk people through gofundme.  starting to make sense to me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

A crypto currency could very well be designed as a pyramid scheme, but not necessarily. 

Who makes the money? The founders. Who jumps on later and risks wasting time and money? Average public.

These things are more like mlm and spec stocks than currency. One week bananas cost 8 coins and 3 weeks later cost 50 coins? Yet there was no shortage or storm. You can't have currency doing this.

And paying $28 on a minor goods exchange in fees is madness.

1 minute ago, OldSiamHand said:

yes, and made up the story of being arrested for counterfeiting so they could have a sob story to bilk people through gofundme.  starting to make sense to me.

Do you mean that literally ?

Im not sure whether you are being ironic and dont have to time to work it out

2 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

Or the story is not made up, and they really got arrested

People just assume it's made up because we didn't see any other news yet and some things look kinda strange, but we don't know it 100% yet, can still be real. Let's see how it evolves ;)

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

People just assume it's made up because we didn't see any other news yet and some things look kinda strange, but we don't know it 100% yet, can still be real. Let's see how it evolves ;)

Or they could have got offered fake $'s to buy .

Then thought , no, if we get caught we would get in trouble , then though, if we get caught we could pretend that we found the money and ask gofundme to bail us out and pay out fine and bail.

Then thought, lets not buy the fake $'s and just ask gofundme to bail us out , cut out the middle illegal bit ?

This could be the new Nigerian scam. None of these people in the pictures may even be aware their pictures are out there.

There is nothing to back this whole thing up.

If they could post what prison they were in we could check to see if they were really there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

yes, very true, and since I had time today i went through dannielle's facebook page - if it's a scam,then either lots of people are in on it or they are going to lose a lot of friends.

1 minute ago, lovelomsak said:

This could be the new Nigerian scam. None of these people in the pictures may even be aware their pictures are out there.

There is nothing to back this whole thing up.

If they could post what prison they were in we could check to see if they were really there.

Doubtful, because their friends back home are also involved . 

Their FB friends would have been in contact with them in real life and its on their FB page (the story) 

2 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

yes, very true, and since I had time today i went through dannielle's facebook page - if it's a scam,then either lots of people are in on it or they are going to lose a lot of friends.

Or they could just keep insisting that it did happen .

Its difficult to prove that something didnt happen

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Or they could just keep insisting that it did happen .

Its difficult to prove that something didnt happen

I find it suspicious that they don't want people contacting the embassy here because it is being overwhelmed by this matter.  there was one link to the mtdemocrat? story, but perhaps a dozen references to the gofundme site.

27 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Or they could have got offered fake $'s to buy .

Then thought , no, if we get caught we would get in trouble , then though, if we get caught we could pretend that we found the money and ask gofundme to bail us out and pay out fine and bail.

Then thought, lets not buy the fake $'s and just ask gofundme to bail us out , cut out the middle illegal bit ?

I wonder if 'gofundme' and similar organizations actually check anything before allowing their site to be used to ask for contributions - cash?  Anybody know about this?

From what I can find it seems the 'gofundme' organization takes 3.9% of the contributions raised, this needs further checking.  3.9%, if that's true, of every 'event' is a sizeable amount of money.

Checking the 'gofundme' site I discovered it's basically impossible to talk to the actual organization, no phone number and I can't find an e.mail address to message them.

Strange stuff.

Different point, has anybody found any mention of the rtp being actively / officially involved in any way with this cae?

Edited by scorecard