Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

1 minute ago, smx1313 said:

Yeah, I have to say that I'm surprised by the intense scrutiny the case has received, the animosity and judgement. 

Some people feel rather peeved when others fraudulently try to aquire U.S.$150 000 as  compensation for theft that they carried out

• Like 1

On 3/2/2018 at 10:48 AM, amykat said:

Are you really so stupid that you expect them to fork over their personal information like that to a pack of anonymous biased wackos on the internet??

Who do you think you guys are to make such demands?? 

Agree. All this makes me think of villagers screaming "Burn the witches!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smx1313 said:

Agree. All this makes me think of villagers screaming "Burn the witches!"

Well no, posters were just asking for any evidence to show that they actually got arrested , that is quite a reasonable request considering that there has been no evidence at all proving that they had even been arrested

2 minutes ago, smx1313 said:

Apparently. 

However, I don't recall any of the countless stories of wrong doing that come thru Thai Visa getting this kind of attention. 

Some seem to have taken it upon themselves to be jury/judge/executioner.

That is probably due to there being two different groups of people who have a differing opinion which fuels the post count .

If all parties were in agreement , this thread would not have been so popular .

Although I have asked for any proof that this happened , the only evidence that seems to have been offered is *These are not bargirls, they are from a close knit family in the USA and they ve never done this before and you are a sexist Woman hating man with psychiatric problems* . 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

That isnt correct .There are provisions made if you are in jail or hospital

hospitals yes, jails not necessarily (thus the reference to "usually").  Working with other lawyers here who handle criminal cases for foreigners, I've seen that the prison system is not always willing to take a foreigner's visa concerns into account (one of the few areas where a lawyer can actually help).

1 hour ago, smx1313 said:

Yeah, I have to say that I'm surprised by the intense scrutiny the case has received, the animosity and judgement. 

There is a strangely hostile reaction to the girls.

As I said earlier, there are a lot of people ready to throw the first stone.

People are going onto the Facebook pages of the womens friends and family to antagonize them.

The court of Thai Visa has found them guilty, passed judgement and delivered punishment to strangers on the other side of the world.

In the States they call that a lynch mob, I'm sure there is probably a Thai phrase for the same phenomena.

Well I have to agree - this story is getting through the roof and I wonder of the intensity. Further it is like a merry go round since many Points have been mentionend already. For myself, to be honest, I would be much more interested about the american guy who killed the aussie guy in a bar in Pattaya.... and seems to walk free. Any update on that story?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, smx1313 said:

Come on sanemax, to describe these 67 pages as "just asking" is disingenuous. 

The venom, the actions, that have been displayed here, are not simply a reasonable request for evidence of an arrest. 

This train passed the town of Reasonable along time ago.

Yes, you cannot sum up 67 pages in two words , my point was that the main just of this thread has been posters asking for any evidence at all and other posters making excuses as to why no evidence has been produced , and of any evidence had been produced, people would then have to continually ask for it .

The "venom " from the girls camp , along with the FB death threats , has been just as, if not more severe than the questionners

What I find interesting, I read the Bangkok Post Daily and this story would have appeared in the paper but I do not remember reading it. Correct me if I am mistaken about it appearing in paper and the should have been follow up stories. Even the local Thais havenot been talking about it and it would have been out by now. Chiang Mai is not that big of a town

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

What I find interesting, I read the Bangkok Post Daily and this story would have appeared in the paper but I do not remember reading it. Correct me if I am mistaken about it appearing in paper and the should have been follow up stories. Even the local Thais havenot been talking about it and it would have been out by now. Chiang Mai is not that big of a town

This is all I have seen from Bangkok 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/coconuts.co/bangkok/news/two-american-women-arrested-suspicion-trying-change-fake-us-dollars/amp/

1 minute ago, Makara said:

That report was lifted from their hometown newspaper who got their information from their gofundme page .

All information about this story stems from their GFM page , nothing else has been reported from any other source (including this thread)

28 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That report was lifted from their hometown newspaper who got their information from their gofundme page .

All information about this story stems from their GFM page , nothing else has been reported from any other source (including this thread)

Well, apart from the CM resident poster who contacted the police, and confirmed that the story is true.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Show me the proof cause if it got lifted the link would have been removed--or a statment made. And fyi when journalist report something they usually find out facts. What world are you living in? If I was to send you the other two links of the story done here would you say the same thing. Why is it that you want this story to be fake so much? PERHAPS IT'S ACTUALLY NOT FAKE. Come on. People have done their own research and confirmed they were arrested. You are starting to sound a little crazy with your approach to this. 

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, apart from the CM resident poster who contacted the police, and confirmed that the story is true.

But the the problem here is he will say they're lying...even though they have zero reason to!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 1:05 PM, jackdd said:

I put some effort in trying to discover the truth about this story.

In short: NO SCAM

In longer:

I made my GF call the police to be sure i don't understand something wrong.

Everybody can stop saying it's a scam, if you don't believe my word and want to confirm it by yourself: Call the Tourist Police in Chiang Mai, they will confirm it.

The two girls were arrested when they tried to exchange the money which was counterfeit.

I have a phone number of a person who can maybe provide more details on this case, but nobody is answering this phone yet, if i should get more infos from there later i will of course share them with you.

This is the post i was referring to, for those who have not read all the posts.

I have no reason to doubt the veracity of it, in fact  " jackdd " was also a bit skeptical at first, but he did a great job to contact the police himself.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Some one else from TV also telephoned the Police and got told that they could not comment on private matters

42 minutes ago, Makara said:

Show me the proof cause if it got lifted the link would have been removed--or a statment made. And fyi when journalist report something they usually find out facts. What world are you living in? If I was to send you the other two links of the story done here would you say the same thing. Why is it that you want this story to be fake so much? PERHAPS IT'S ACTUALLY NOT FAKE. Come on. People have done their own research and confirmed they were arrested. You are starting to sound a little crazy with your approach to this. 

The coconuts report says "According to their hometown newspaper, Mountain Democrat, they were arrested after just one week of the trip." and the Mountain Democrat report came from their GFM page

The Coconuts page dont actually have any journalist, they just copy reports from other sources

On 3/3/2018 at 10:01 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

We have ask for facts from beginning and there is still no facts my wife have called police too she get this answer 

He can't give information out to people if they not related in all cases 

This ^

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Some one else from TV also telephoned the Police and got told that they could not comment on private matters

I should think so too. The police cannot be expected to respond to random requests for information from any member of the public with no connection to the case.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Makara said:

If I was to send you the other two links of the story done here would you say the same thing.

That would depend on whether the source of those reports comes from their GFM page or whether they are independent reports

Do post the other two links, so that we can see the source of those stories

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That is true, but the post i quoted sounds clear enough to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

That is true, but the post i quoted sounds clear enough to me.

And then theres the other guy who claimed to have also phoned the same Police and they said they cannot comment  .

Its more likely that the Police wouldnt comment on private matters to random people who phone them up

• Like 1

And then theres the other guy who claimed to have also phoned the same Police and they said they cannot comment  .

Its more likely that the Police wouldnt comment on private matters to random people who phone them up

Well, obviously we have different opinions of what is " more likely " , but of course i respect every opinion.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, obviously we have different opinions of what is " more likely " , but of course i respect every opinion.

Why not try it, phone up your local Police station and ask them if anyone has been arrested for using fake money  in the area recently and see what the reply is .

Why not try it, phone up your local Police station and ask them if anyone has been arrested for using fake money  in the area recently and see what the reply is .

I agree, but suppose i know somebody who know somebody who is friend with the colonel, it would be not too difficult to get private info.

• Like 1

Just now, mauGR1 said:

I agree, but suppose i know somebody who know somebody who is friend with the colonel, it would be not too difficult to get private info.

• But you dont know  somebody who is a friend of the Colonel and neither does the guy who phoned them and claimed to have gotten information

1 minute ago, sanemax said:
  • But you dont know  somebody who is a friend of the Colonel and neither does the guy who phoned them and claimed to have gotten information

well, as i said before, i think you are wrong, but i would fight to defend your right to be wrong .

• Like 2