Sturgeon says Scottish parliament will not consent to UK PM May's Brexit bill

webfact

Sturgeon says Scottish parliament will not consent to UK PM May's Brexit bill

2018-02-27T081618Z_1_LYNXNPEE1Q0FT_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-EU-SCOTLAND.JPG

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon speaks at the launch of an analysis paper on Scotland's future relationship with Europe, at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, Britain January 15, 2018. REUTERS/John Linton/Pool/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said on Tuesday that the Scottish parliament would not consent to British Prime Minister Theresa May's European Union (Withdrawal) Bill as outlined so far by ministers.

"I will not sign up to something that effectively undermines the whole foundation on which devolution is built," Sturgeon told BBC radio.

(Reporting by Elisabeth O'Leary; editing by Michael Holden/Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-02-27

6 minutes ago, meinphuket said:

Look what the EU did for Eire...it will do the same for a divorced Scotland.

There is no doubt about it - Scotland has been held back by Westminster for generations. I don't see it as what the EU will do for Scotland, per se, more what an unshackled Scotland can do for itself.

As for England, that is the problem child. Once they lose the financial sector to Frankfurt, what does England really have to sell to the rest of the world other than money laundering services? Scotland will thrive but England will need to readjust to not being propped up by Scottish subsidies.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

How does she know in advance how the Scottish parliament will vote?

Nicola I wanna be leader for live president and dictator Sturgeon.

They have the backing of the Greens so, combined, represent an majority in Holyrood. That is not a dictatorship - that is democracy. You may not like it, but to condemn it because it is not what you want, and to liken it to a dictatorship is somewhat amusing and ridiculous at the same time.

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

There is no doubt about it - Scotland has been held back by Westminster for generations. I don't see it as what the EU will do for Scotland, per se, more what an unshackled Scotland can do for itself.

As for England, that is the problem child. Once they lose the financial sector to Frankfurt, what does England really have to sell to the rest of the world other than money laundering services? Scotland will thrive but England will need to readjust to not being propped up by Scottish subsidies.

Interested Rudy in what you think Scotland has to offer on its own. Depleted oil reserves perhaps ? Whisky ? Scotland truly produces the Worlds finest but every man and his dog are producing the spirit now. 

As for Eire I think they did well enough on their own by becoming a tax haven and robbing UK inc Scotland and the EU of billions in taxes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Reports on the death of North Sea Oil have been greatly exaggerated. So much so that Shell has announced their first new field since, I think, the mid 90s and 13 other fields are currently in development. As tight oil becomes a necessity worldwide, opportunities within the  existing North Sea infrastructure are opening up all the time.

But it would be foolish to base an economy on hydrocarbons, and Scotland is a leader in renewables: wind, wave and hydro. Food and drink brings in GBP 10 billion a year; technology, IT, services - in fact all the vestiges of a mature and diverse economy.

True true. I must confess that I've only been north of the border once. It was a fried haggis and chips under an umbrella sort of honeymoon.

UK is broken let's hope everybody gets the  share of the spoils they need.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Born and worked in Glasgow till I retired over here almost 4 years ago..let me tell you that sturgeon is a very bitter anti British/English twisted reptile.
Ditto her followers..mostly weekly giro collectors.
My friends back in Glasgow are sick the back teeth of her mouthing off.
But then again..empty vessels make the most noise!!!
Me..I am proud to be a Glasgow Brit, a Unionist and a Royalist.
Long Live The Union
Ps..I am also a Brexit manemoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You forgot to add 'WATP'

• Confused 1