Arsenal

MiG16

Great result against Blackburn. We missed a few chances that could add to the scoreline but 2-1 is as good as it gets.

Credits to Iron Man Vermaelen for the extra hard work he put to make sure we get the 3 points.

With new guy Scuilacci available next game, i'm excited to see if his partnership with Vermaelen is the best one in the league.

One of the justifiable criticisms levelled at Arsenal has been the reliance on foreign players. Not any more - look how many foreign sounding names have been adopted as British. Extract from Arsenal.com website:

"This is the squad Arsenal have submitted to the Premier League:

Homegrown players

Nicklas Bendtner, Gael Clichy, Denilson (I can't abide posers who insist on using one name!), Johan Djourou, Cesc Fabregas, Vito Mannone, Alex Song

Non-homegrown players:

Manuel Almunia, Andrey Arshavin, Marouane Chamakh, Abou Diaby, Emmanuel Eboue. Lukasz Fabianski, Laurent Koscielny, Samir Nasri, Tomas Rosicky, Bacary Sagna, Robin van Persie, Thomas Vermaelen, Sebastien Squillaci"

Worried that they forgot to register some players? So was I until I read the rider:

"Clubs can supplement their squads with an unlimited number of players under the age of 21. That means Arsène Wenger can also call upon a long list of established stars, young professionals and scholars"...(what schoolkids playing in the EPL?)"... for Premier League games this season, including:

Benik Afobe, Chuks Aneke, Nacer Barazite, Kyle Bartley, Francis Coquelin, Craig Eastmond, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Emmanuel Frimpong, Kieran Gibbs, Conor Henderson, Gavin Hoyte, Henri Lansbury, Havard Nordtveit, Aaron Ramsey, Mark Randall, Wojciech Szczesny, Armand Traore, Carlos Vela, Theo Walcott, Sanchez Watt, Jack Wilshere"

So all the EPL shennanigins about the 25 man squad and bringing on English players was complete cahones all along. In Arsenal's case a handful of English (or is it Brit?) and a massive 41 man squad. Having said that, give it a couple of years and Gibbs, Wallcott, Ramsey and Willshere should be regular starters so hopefully it will have a less Francophone feel to it than of yore.

Edited by SantiSuk

• 2 weeks later...

good first half !

up 3 - 0

if the truth be told though should be may be even more if the ref had decided to award two other penalties for the fowls on fabregas inside the first ten minutes.

lovely little touch from young jack wilshere to set up the third goal.

would be nice maybe to see a few more goals in the second half, but i guess the most important thing is to keep a clean sheet and not pick up any injuries. mind you saying that, i wouldn't count on it. looks like they've had some kind of brief before the game from the tony pullis manual of how to kick lumps of crap out of an opposing team.

Edited by tigerfish

well 6 - 0 it is then!

some lovely one touch play with good running and vision off the ball at pace exploiting the gaps behind bragas defense. nice to see some clinical finishes too.

all in all a good all round performance. although its only the first game and good to get the first win under our belt, i dont think anyone will be kidding themselves that the games are only going to get harder. one thing that is still a worry is the back four the goalkeeper situation. better teams will test us and we wont be able to play as freely and at the kind of tempo we were allowed to tonight.

still a wins a win, right you spurs fans? oh sorry i forgot, you pissed your 2 - 0 lead away last night, didnt ya. laugh.gif wonder how costly thats going to prove in the long run whistling.gif welcome to the big boys league. wink.gif

what the!

I was on first page of thread, and noticed some unknown name had given my first post a negative????

grrrrrrr

I dont really care either way about reputations and such

but to come on here and give a negative on my Arsenal opening post??

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

double grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

what the!

:lol:

• Like 2

<roll eyes>

there are very rare occasions that make me wanna swear.

that goal in the 95th minute of the game was one of those rare occasions.

so at full time

Sunderland 1: 1 Arsenal

(had a feeling the missed penalty would come back to haunt us....)

<roll eyes>

so at full time

i think in all fairness though sunderland deserved the point. yes the missed penalty didnt help the situation along with song getting sent off too.

Edited by tigerfish

<roll eyes>

so at full time

i think in all fairness though sunderland deserved the point. yes the missed penalty didnt help the situation along with song getting sent off too.

Why is Wenger behaving like a petulant teenager?

<roll eyes>

so at full time

Yep, sorry about the result Migsy. I was gutted for all you gooners. :lol:

<roll eyes>

so at full time

Yep, sorry about the result Migsy. I was gutted for all you gooners. :lol:

"Its not fair! Its not fair!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh dear, Oh dear,

Must be hard to be a Tottenham fan, 1 - 4 at home against Arsenal's boys.

yermanee

That was the strongest Carling cup team that Arsenal have put out (baring a semi final) since 1998. Far more experienced Tottenham made ten changes to the team last weekend.

Yes you deserved to win but don't go overboard. Keane hit the post in the 83rd minute and you might have lost 2-1. Basically, your "experienced" team won a "Carling cup" tie...thats it.

Saying that baring in mind Arsenal, having won nothing for so long, i understand why you are so elated and Wenger is so desperate to win this cup.

Oh dear, Oh dear,

yermanee

That was the strongest Carling cup team that Arsenal have put out (baring a semi final) since 1998. Far more experienced Tottenham made ten changes to the team last weekend.

Yes you deserved to win but don't go overboard. Keane hit the post in the 83rd minute and you might have lost 2-1. Basically, your "experienced" team won a "Carling cup" tie...thats it.

Saying that baring in mind Arsenal, having won nothing for so long, i understand why you are so elated and Wenger is so desperate to win this cup.

Dear Carmine don't get exited.

As my name suggests I'm not British so I couldn't care less who wins the Carling cup.

It's just that I don't like twisting Harry, not for what he's done for Tottenham but for some of the other teams he's managed, and the outrages remarks that Tottenham is bigger than Arsenal.

Just look at the pedigree of both teams.

Except from all that I became an Arsenal fan not for the silverware, but for the pleasure they provide me watching them play their exciting brand of football.

Enough said.

yermanee

Oh dear, Oh dear,

yermanee

As my name suggests I'm not British so I couldn't care less who wins the Carling cup.

It's just that I don't like twisting Harry, not for what he's done for Tottenham but for some of the other teams he's managed, and the outrages remarks that Tottenham is bigger than Arsenal.

Except from all that I became an Arsenal fan not for the silverware, but for the pleasure they provide me watching them play their exciting brand of football.

Enough said.

yermanee

Actually, too much said. ;) Although, whilst talking about pedigree, did you watch the derby at White Hart Lane last season when you were soundly beaten by our "first team?"

Edited by carmine

Oh dear, Oh dear,

yermanee

Enough said.

yermanee

Actually, too much said. ;) Although, whilst talking about pedigree, did you watch the derby at White Hart Lane last season when you were soundly beaten by our "first team?"

Yes 1 time in 10 years. What a performance !!!

True enough but irrelevent to the current situation. Fact is, the gap between us now is a very slim one.

Carmine you're a Tottenham fan and I'm an Arsenal fan (in a way) and let's leave at that shall we?

I just made the point that a defeat by Arsenal (especially at home) is very hard to swallow for a Tottenham fan, which I understand.

If it had been the other way around you would have gloated also.

yermanee

Arsenal 2 - West Brom 3. Beaten by a better team.

At least we now have the answer even before playing a top flight side. With a mid table quality defence (even when the only quality player behind the midfield, Vermaelen, is playing) and a clown of a goalkeeper there are going to be too many games where we cannot get more goals than the opposition even with our fabled exciting play up front. Give it another season or two of failure to win trophies of any meaning and failure to get into the top three and the Board will inevitably conclude that Arsene has had his day. Could even be the end of this season.

If you think these are just rash words uttered in disappointment and quickly regretted then look back at my previous postings. Arsenal don't hack it for me as a top flight European club. We need a manager who knows that you have to build a winning side based on a world class defence before you start getting arty up front.

Mig can you tell me what the score of the WBA game is?

Thanks B)

for someone who likes to call 'troll' a lot, yet you come trolling on arsenal thread? :rolleyes:

you know the score da#n well, and you know that I know that you know the score :angry:

but perhaps you might like to enlighten everyone how I know that you know, or how I also know everthing else you got up to last night? :whistling: HAHA

Mig can you tell me what the score of the WBA game is?

Thanks B)

for someone who likes to call 'troll' a lot, yet you come trolling on arsenal thread? :rolleyes:

you know the score da#n well, and you know that I know that you know the score :angry:

but perhaps you might like to enlighten everyone how I know that you know, or how I also know everthing else you got up to last night? :whistling: HAHA

Yes, I know you love me :lol: