New concrete pond ...how to maintain for occasional swimming

rumak

Due to my "frugal nature"..... I had a hole dug 2 years ago with a pond in mind.  The water level here is very low so the only way to keep water

was plastic liner or concrete.  I opted for concrete,  reinforced with wire mesh, and proper additive to help prevent seepage.  Poured from concrete

trucks and completed in a day.  Two weeks now and absolutely no leaks.  I AM AWARE that there is no guarantee that it will be like that forever, 

but that is not what this is about.    I would really like to swim in it occasionally ( just the 2 of us).  The water is from a deep water bore and is very

clear, even after 2 weeks.  Now getting a lot of sun, no algae yet.  Going to drain and refill and then would really welcome  some CREATIVE and inexpensive

ideas on how to keep the water safe for our dips.   Open to using an exterior pump (not from pool company) and adding some chemical occasionally.

I plan to move the water around some and partially empty and refill when needed.     I am not looking for resort style filter system , but again, something

simple if possible.   Thanks for any/all positive suggestions.

002.jpg

I have a concrete Koi Pond and waterfall and the builder attempted to fashion a gravity fed filter system that proved to be ineffective in keeping the water clear enough for the Koi  (actually they don't care it was the owner that wanted clear water)

I eventually had to purchase a "fish pond filtration system" that does not require any fittings in the pond since it pulls the water into the cleaning chamber and then discharges the clean water back into the pond , unfortunately these systems start at 45,000 THB and your electricity cost would be prohibitive for occasional use as your describe

My opinion is that since the water is free, just change it out maybe on a monthly basis, and forget the chemicals  and you should be OK 

Pond.png.ddb8090c87a5ea0f3d1a1a142024bdc6.png

Thanks Langsuan (behind the garden?).....I like your pics and really like your answer.  Does make sense

since my water is good and free...and when emptying can direct it to the mango trees. I am on my way

today to buy an underwater pump (daiwo) as it is time to change water (first filling after newly poured concrete).   Of course my thai lady thought nothing of just jumping right in !

Hope to start landscaping soon.....

what i bought is called a submersible pump.  Mitsubishi brand..2 inch outlet.   In thai they always call

this type of pump a Daiwo.   It is a bit heavy but meant to be carried, placed on bottom of pond, ( a long

plastic hose is attached to the outlet)....get out of pond and plug it in to extension cord.  That's it.

Water comes out fast and in great quantity !  I have a large yard but will create something to divert the

water since it comes out in such volume.

Bought model  CSP-405S         0.5hp     2 inch outlet

drained the pond ((see pic) this morning.   water came out in great quantity......took about 2 hours.

friend told me "don't buy a cheap pump"  .....  this one cost 5700 baht.   well worth it

• 1 month later...

I also have a former fish pond, small, concrete, and would like to use a pool paint for the floor and walls.  Any knowledge out there of where to buy the paint in Thailand?  The water is from the village supply and gets lots of algae, etc quite rapidly, covered with the green 80% sun shade cloth but still the sun is strong here.  I and daughter and her friends use it to cool off and splash around, no fish planned.  Can i safely use an algae and  fungicide to keep those at bay?

• 2 weeks later...

Zaza9 gave you a good link. In there is reference to David Pagan Butler who has numerous YouTube videos showing his cheap and easy diy approach, also using his 'bubble pump' system (airlift) which looks cheap and easy to install and maintain. Worth a look at.

5 minutes ago, rwill said:

what about mosquitos and other water creatures.  Also probably a snake attractor.

the frogs eat the mosquitos....the snakes eat the frogs.......and you eat the snakes !

mai mee panhaaaaa

Archived