Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

35 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Auditor.

Market trader.

Financial advisor.

Chancellor of the Exchequer.

I suppose it depends on your definition of these roles, an Auditor could be someone who counts chocolate bars in vending machines, however I searched for Auditor vacancies and picked the first one:

Qualifications/Requirements:
  • Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Information Technology, Computer Science or related field.
  • Proven experience in internal or external auditing. Public Accounting firm experience
  • preferred and certification required (e.g., CPA, CIA, CISA, CISSP, ACCA, ACA)
  • Advanced PC skills, including Word and Excel.
  • Strong knowledge of IFRS and preferably US GAAP.
  • Strong knowledge of financial audit procedures, including planning, devising test procedures, sampling methods and testing are required.
  • Strong technical, analytical and decision making skills.
  • Self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
  • Good interpersonal skills
  • Excellent oral and written communication skills.
  • Commitment to customer service and ability to work in team-oriented environment.
  • Must be willing to commit to global travel of 40%-50%.

Edited by Air Smiles
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Why, are you after a job? 

I was after some examples of Finance jobs where no university quals are required, in response to your highly unlikely proposition that grads are no smarter than non-grads and the idea that non-grads are in top finance jobs and on an equal footing with grads.

I'm glad you're not "against university education" but maybe you should be, if, after paying all that money and nearly half a decade of study, for a graduate to be no more intelligent than someone who didn't bother with university is just silly, of course there will be rare exceptions to the rule, but generally university graduates are smarter than non-grads, due to years of intense learning and managing a workload to deadlines, not to mention the school work they had to do just to gain entry to Uni.

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Over the years I've hired an equal amount of grads and non grads (in finance) and trust me, their intelligence levels are about the same.

Not that I'm against university education. I just don't think it belongs in this debate.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Auditor.

Market trader.

Financial advisor.

Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Hammond was born in Epping, Essex,[5]the son of a civil engineer.[6] He was educated at Shenfield School (now Shenfield High School) in Brentwood, Essex.[6] He studied Philosophy, Politics and Economics at University College, Oxford where he was an Open Scholar,[6] and graduated with a first-class honours degree.[7]

Clearly a turnip then!

3 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

The EU are behaving in a normal, fair and business like manner.

The real problem is the UK leadership who are expected, and under a lot of pressure from the Brexiteers to deliver a fairytale deal that is never going to fly in the real world of trade. 

A recent study shows that if only 3 % more Brits had gone to university they would have enough education to understand such a deal was never going to end well thus the referendum would have swung the other way, the real problem of Brexit is one of education or lack thereof, not the EU.

The EU are behaving badly. This is helping Mrs May to perform badly, How can the deal "end well" like this? The EU Politburo will be as difficult as they can, for as long as they can.

You have mentioned this study already and few took any notice. The problem with education and leavers is that they refuse to learn that the economic issue was not the main driver for the leave vote! 

By the way, from the above, it was obviously you that resurrected the education theme.Not anyone else. Pants on fire again! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You can't buy intelligence. Intelligence is: the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills. Many are capable of acquiring knowledge through hard study in order to gain a qualification.  But many of those struggle to apply that knowledge, or acquire skills in the real world of work.

But we can agree to disagree before we veer to far off topic.

Yes, wise decision to make since you're clearly wrong.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You can't buy intelligence. Intelligence is: the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills. Many are capable of acquiring knowledge through hard study in order to gain a qualification.  But many of those struggle to apply that knowledge, or acquire skills in the real world of work. 

And yet, the biggest companies on the planet still insist on graduates over non-graduates for their top technical positions.

Who to believe, a guy on a Thailand forum who has failed to provide any real world examples of non-grads in top Finance jobs, despite being repeatedly asked or everyone else living in the real world, it's quite the conundrum.

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

By the way, from the above, it was obviously you that resurrected the education theme.Not anyone else. Pants on fire again! 

I bet you can't find a post of mine mentioning Education as it relates to Brexit with a Timestamp before this one :

On 05/03/2018 at 11:09 AM, nontabury said:

We are continually told by the remoaners, that those who voted for Britexit are the old and the uneducated. So today it will come as a shock to them, to find that in the Italian elections, two of the main leaders, are university educated and...

------------------------------

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The problem with education and leavers is that they refuse to learn that the economic issue was not the main driver for the leave vote!

It's obvious from your post you don't understand the study.

Do you really think thats what is being suggested, the study shows the Brexit vote was in protest to the lack of higher education in people's life?

Edited by Air Smiles

4 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

And yet, the biggest companies on the planet still insist on graduates over non-graduates for their top technical positions.

Who to believe, a guy on a Thailand forum who has failed to provide any real world examples of non-grads in top Finance jobs, despite being repeatedly asked or everyone else living in the real world, it's quite the conundrum.

I don't think listing names of people I've worked with in finance over the years would be fair.

And I agree, a lot of the biggest companies will filter out non-grads to reduce the amount of applicants to a more manageable number.

And I don't deny a graduate should in theory have a good work ethic if they were willing to study harder. Generally.

And please don't concern yourself. I don't need you to understand, or believe me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't think listing names of people I've worked with in finance over the years would be fair.

And I agree, a lot of the biggest companies will filter out non-grads to reduce the amount of applicants to a more manageable number.

And I don't deny a graduate should in theory have a good work ethic if they were willing to study harder. Generally.

And please don't concern yourself. I don't need you to understand, or believe me.

I didn't ask you for names, but nice deflection and excuse why you cant provide any evidence or real world examples for your ridiculous proposition despite claiming many years experience of 'hiring and firing' in the Finance sector ....ROFL!

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Is that why they do that, just to save time and prevent too many applications? ...please stop digging, its getting embarrassing.

Edited by Air Smiles
  • Sad 1

The latest from Donald Tusk reference Brexit
Brexit means drifting apart but we don't want to build a wall - Tuskhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43314976

The more I read this I’m not sure the EU even know how to be ambitious, bespoke or unique arrangement doesn’t even appear to register let alone be considered, or maybe just because it doesn’t suit THEM.

As PMTM stated, every FTA is cherry picking, so just simply offering an off the shelf FTA similar to Canada or Japan just doesn’t cut it, we’ll see how important EU wants access to it then before MS start kicking up a fuss.

Lastly, it’s also negotiated under various global business conditions, financial services a caveat, so an ‘associated member’ not part of the fiscal deal?, again the 6th largest world economy & the Brussels still doesn’t want neighbouring MS access?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, citybiker said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/brexit-biggest-problem-european-commission-intransigence/

Interesting article on the whole U.K./EU relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting indeed.

This part explains a lot:

"Britain’s fundamental problem through the years — from Harold Macmillan, to Margaret Thatcher, to David Cameron, to Theresa May — has been its tendency to expect rationality, especially economic rationality, to carry the day in European decision-making. The British have persistently underrated the extent to which Europe is fundamentally a political enterprise"

And this:

"Curiously, this solution is more or less — with the important exceptions of agriculture and services, both now included — the one the British proposed for an industrial free-trade area with the European Economic Community (EEC) in 1956, at the very dawn of the E.U. Back then, everyone liked it except the French, and so, after three years of tedious negotiations and French time-wasting, it never happened. Today, little has changed."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile back on planet Earth:

Tusk said that, while he understood May’s goal to make Brexit a success for Britain, that was not the EU’s objective.

Crucially, the bloc said Britain would be treated like any other third country when it came to financial services - which London had pressed to be included in the future deal.

Financial services generate more than 10 percent of Britain’s economic output and are the only area in which it has a trade surplus with the EU, making London very keen to preserve its banks’ current access to continental Europe.

Edited by Air Smiles
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

I bet you can't find a post of mine mentioning Education as it relates to Brexit with a Timestamp before this one :

------------------------------

It's obvious from your post you don't understand the study.

Do you really think thats what is being suggested, the study shows the Brexit vote was in protest to the lack of higher education in people's life?

Brexit was a obviously a protest vote against the EU. No study or higher education required to understand that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The attempt to link a university education with somehow superiority in voting in the referendum and as an academic, I would be embarrassed to do so. It has been done to death on the other brexit thread and look what happened there.

The way the EU are behaving is polarizing the talks and the arrogance of the EU and its stance on punishing the UK, is disgraceful. No wonder people voted to leave even after the government spending 11 million and the bias of the media, to stop and prevent the people doing so. Even more people now can see the bullying tactics of Brussels and have shifted the change from remain to leave. The fact that 'has been''s' such as Major and Blair have been drafted in to "stop brexit" shows the desperation.

I really hope that TM walks away, forget the so called divorce bill have a campaign to buy British products, kick the foreign boats out of the UK seas and see how that works. Sadly she hasn't the guts to, so it seems.

Even after 20 months people still can't accept the result and this thread confirms it and are using embarrassing arguments , like having a university degree as a justification for knowing what's best. Laughable

Your argument is entirely academic. You yourself are a perfect exemplar of how false the corrolation actual is ? 

Edited by Grouse
Academic rigor
  • Haha 2