Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In any referendum that I've heard about people were given firm facts of for and against. That most certainly wasn't the case with Brexit. The answer to every question about it was 'We'll sort that out when we get to it'. No-one was given any firm facts at all, and exiters largely voted on keeping immigration figures down. What they didn't know and weren't told was that far more immigrants come to the UK from outside the EU than from within it. Indians, for one.

And the huge bogey in the room is the border with Ireland. It is an insoluble problem.

Immigration figures are not a state secret

The reason the EU migrants stick out like a saw thumb is that they tend to work together in factories / on the land etc etc in my area of the UK anyway

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

There are 27 countries in the EU with equal voting rights. The German parliamentary system is better, i think, than the British system in that they have proportional representation in the house instead of winner takes all.

Why is that funny Oldlakey? I think some form of PR is the way to go. Our system does not work as well in my view

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The problem with EU voting rights and 'equality' is that minority parties have had to accept the (QMV) majority vote more and more, while at the same time losing more veto powers. This means that decisions that may be unpopular or unfavourable to a particular nation (usually the UK) have occurred with greater frequency.  

Yes, I think the UK should at least consider a change of system. With a referendum to confirm any such change, of course!

Are you OK Oldlakey? You seem to be giggling at everything?

Nauseus, oh great one, what changes to QMV would you like to see?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Why is that funny Oldlakey? I think some form of PR is the way to go. Our system does not work as well in my view

I can see no reason to change a system that on the whole works reasonably well

Yes you can have a hung parliament but why change to something else that has been seen to be worse over the years as far as non results go

Thats what I find funny

Thats my view

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Are you OK Oldlakey? You seem to be giggling at everything?

Nauseus, oh great one, what changes to QMV would you like to see?

I refuse to answer that my dear Grouse as you are not my doctor

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, aright said:

You make it sound like Merkel didn't have to give ground to form a coalition, I would regard giving ground as a form of bribe.

There are other things I think could be given as a bribe ?

54 minutes ago, aright said:

They certainly are fools!  Only fools would be so out of touch with the electorate they put in place a system of control which in no way serves the needs of the electorate  and at worst causes a significant rise of severe right wing political parties. If things don't change ( lets not forget Barnier and Juncker called for more federalism after the referendum) I am sure things will get progressively worse.

They seem to have done rather better than you now haven't they? Let's see what happens ?

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Munich was better, beautiful scenery, the Isar river, wonderful beer gardens and well within range of the mountains for skiing.

Damn, my son just flew back from Munich after skiing in Lech! Bastard!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In any referendum that I've heard about people were given firm facts of for and against. That most certainly wasn't the case with Brexit. The answer to every question about it was 'We'll sort that out when we get to it'. No-one was given any firm facts at all, and exiters largely voted on keeping immigration figures down. What they didn't know and weren't told was that far more immigrants come to the UK from outside the EU than from within it. Indians, for one.

And the huge bogey in the room is the border with Ireland. It is an insoluble problem.

There was a chap on BBC Radio 4 recently who explained that, whereas they have regular referendums in Switzerland, EVERYTHING is laid out in advance. The whole caboodle - what would happen for each possible result and what the Cantonal government would have to do! So civilised, the Swiss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Southport Les and Tony Blair swinging? Are we back to Malaga Teddy's Miranda again?

Above my head that one RR.

But could I point out the Southport Les does keep a running total. Every week ** for nearly two years he has recorded the results.

** Apart from his holiday in Thailand.

And what better than to ask a Pattaya bar girl about farang drinking habits.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, citybiker said:

@Grouse

Brussels Are not fools?

They ignored pleas of reform but blatantly ignored it, EU thought...yeah whatever business as usual.

Oh dear, how the tide has turned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I agree. 

Lets see what the new New tide brings!

22 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

I can see no reason to change a system that on the whole works reasonably well

Yes you can have a hung parliament but why change to something else that has been seen to be worse over the years as far as non results go

Thats what I find funny

Thats my view

Well that's a fair view point, I just don't see the humour?

I understand the pros and cons but I don't think FPTP serves us well in this high speed communication age. Younger people must find it anachronistic and discredited

49 minutes ago, aright said:

You make it sound like Merkel didn't have to give ground to form a coalition, I would regard giving ground as a form of bribe.

coalition agreements,give and take are not the same as a 10 billion pound outright bribe, a bribe to an ultra conservative right wing party 30 years behind the times.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Well that's a fair view point, I just don't see the humour?

I understand the pros and cons but I don't think FPTP serves us well in this high speed communication age. Younger people must find it anachronistic and discredited

You would have a point, if the result did not lead to so much horse trading between the parties when no clear winner emerged

People getting into bed with each other that would not normally do so

This leads to watering down of what the electorate voted for

This happens far more often with PR than with FPTP

I will repeat I find that funny

As far as this high speed communication age goes please dont give me that Norfolk squit

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

You should have married his mother

At the risk of exposing myself to mirth, I married and divorced her twice.

In my defence, I did not marry her a third time; I'm no fool

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

At nearly 70 one doesn't have much of a future, I have enjoyed what I have done, I've gone through bad times (the UK) and good times (Germany and Thailand). The future belongs to the young, it doesn't affect me too much whatever happens, I try to remain detached but I would like the youth of Europe to have the same chances as I did, freedom of travel and employment in a democratic forward looking Europe, friendship and unity among the peoples of Europe who hopefully have put the follies of the past behind them.

Wow I am glad I did not vote if Brexit is going to effect all that lot 5555555555

14 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

coalition agreements,give and take are not the same as a 10 billion pound outright bribe, a bribe to an ultra conservative right wing party 30 years behind the times.

Your £10 billion was actually £1 billion and it was money well spent. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, aright said:

Your £10 billion was actually £1 billion and it was money well spent. :smile:

Spending it was easy, it was simply added to the UK's bar tab which now stands at £1.56 trillion, although bear in mind those are pre-Brexit pounds, the real figure is likely closer to £2.5 trillion.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

The EU protects indigenous communities, the indigenous of Britain voted remain, the English have learnt nothing from historical acts of evil, hence their desire to be free from the European Court of Human Rights.

100% wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1