Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

52 minutes ago, vogie said:

And the Sun is the number 1 read newspaper, your point point is?

No, the Sun is 6th, the most read is the DailyMail.  And my point was to counter the erroneous claim that the Guardian is on it's last legs, I would have thought that was clear considering the statement I replied to and my reply, but hey ho.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, the Sun is 6th, the most read is the DailyMail.  And my point was to counter the erroneous claim that the Guardian is on it's last legs, I would have thought that was clear considering the statement I replied to and my reply, but hey ho.

Do you mean read or looked at?

An analysis of UK newspaper circulation and online access is sobering. It explains s great deal ?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/529060/uk-newspaper-market-by-circulation/

Ill get my embarrassment sensitive reading glasses....

Edited by Grouse

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Where did you get those figures from?

This link says something completely different.

http://www.newsworks.org.uk/the-guardian

and here too

https://www.statista.com/statistics/288110/readership-trend-of-the-guardian-newspaper-uk/

I said worldwide, your stats are from UK readership only.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/21/the-guardian-overtakes-new-york-times-in-comscore-traffic-figures

4 hours ago, transam said:

CircleTriplets_1000.gif.d40e9e1f2986e54b02fe5d033775c6aa.gif............5170.gif.9675145330f9be64758c5a4931791009.gif

In general elections, you'rev voting for a prime minister, and the role, powers and authority are pretty clearly defined.  The parties have fairly clearly defined policies and manifestos.

Tell me about this Brexit thing again.  How will it affect the weights and measures act?  Will we still be able to buy beer in pints after Brexit?  Will we be able to have road signs in miles?  Will we have any say in developing the standards with which our exporters must comply?  What civil aviation rules will our aeroplanes need to comply with?  How will we negotiate the rights of airlines to fly to other countries?  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Do you mean read or looked at?

An analysis of UK newspaper circulation and online access is sobering. It explains s great deal ?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/529060/uk-newspaper-market-by-circulation/

Ill get my embarrassment sensitive reading glasses....

Read or looked at?  Do you mean print vs online?  It is read for both, and it is that figure that counts these days, as well as the worldwide count.  In which case the Guradian was, a few years ago, the second most read English language paper in the world, but has now slipped down to 5th place. 

In print in the UK I think it is the Metro now, they overtook the Sun and Daily Mail last year, and in that measure the Guardian is not doing well, but their manifesto will keep them going, keeping going at whatever cost is one of their manifestos only points.

22 hours ago, owl sees all said:

What lies? Not on this furum!

Ever heard the term 'abandonig a sinking ship'?

The British public, just like TVForum posters, are more savvy than you maybe think.

And what are you going to be doing when the EU realises their predicted coming economic Golden Age?  Waving frantically at the very much boyant ship as it sails rapidly away hoping it will notice you?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

In answer to your questions l hope beer, shrimps and prawns come in pints AGAIN...:stoner:....

The EU requirement for metric measures never surpassed the UK mandate on measures for public houses, so in the UK it remains not only possible but actually mandatory to sell beer by the pint pints in pubs.  Also it is the legal right of the UK and Ireland to sell anything using imperial measures just as long as it is also marked in metric, so you can also buy a pint can from an off license, a pint of milk, even a pint of prawns.

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The EU requirement for metric measures never surpassed the UK mandate on measures for public houses, so in the UK it remains not only possible but actually mandatory to sell beer by the pint pints in pubs.  Also it is the legal right of the UK and Ireland to sell anything using imperial measures just as long as it is also marked in metric, so you can also buy a pint can from an off license, a pint of milk, even a pint of prawns.

Aaaaaaaah, as long as we have metric equivalent written somewhere in felt tip to make foreigners feel at home.....5150.gif.e7828951a943ea634ba16d5706422e32.gif

Do foreigners in their country have UK measurements on their stuff in felt tip so we feel at home....bored.gif.514a75b86cd8b4a17433d738b4a5af57.gif

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, transam said:

Aaaaaaaah, as long as we have metric equivalent written somewhere in felt tip to make foreigners feel at home.....5150.gif.e7828951a943ea634ba16d5706422e32.gif

Do foreigners in their country have UK measurements on their stuff in felt tip so we feel at home....bored.gif.514a75b86cd8b4a17433d738b4a5af57.gif

It's so they know what they are buying not so they feel at home, and as the UK has been teaching the metric system in schools since 1974 no one under the age of 60 has an issue abroad the whole idea is to make a worldwide system that everyone understands, and we are three countries away from achieving that, just Myanmar, Liberia and the USA to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Read or looked at?  Do you mean print vs online?  It is read for both, and it is that figure that counts these days, as well as the worldwide count.  In which case the Guradian was, a few years ago, the second most read English language paper in the world, but has now slipped down to 5th place. 

In print in the UK I think it is the Metro now, they overtook the Sun and Daily Mail last year, and in that measure the Guardian is not doing well, but their manifesto will keep them going, keeping going at whatever cost is one of their manifestos only points.

I was referring to looking at the tits or reading the editorial

1 hour ago, transam said:

In answer to your questions l hope beer, shrimps and prawns come in pints AGAIN...:stoner:....

Not only will the units change, the prices will plummet as we are no longer able to export them! Happy days!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Not only will the units change, the prices will plummet as we are no longer able to export them! Happy days!

The Breweries losing their export market will seek to make up their losses somewhere, that would not be possible with a price cut.  The main thing that a loss of exports would bring is a lowered value of the pound, which would make them attractive to exporters again and cancel out the effect of Brexit for them, but for us we would be left paying more for all our imports, not so happy days.

As for prawns, currently we choose to use our quota fishing in other countries waters and in exchange let them fish our crustaceans in our waters, lose those aggreements and we will have a lot of prawns, langoustines and rock lobsters but we wouldn't have the fish we actually eat a lot of. 

14 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The Breweries losing their export market will seek to make up their losses somewhere, that would not be possible with a price cut.  The main thing that a loss of exports would bring is a lowered value of the pound, which would make them attractive to exporters again and cancel out the effect of Brexit for them, but for us we would be left paying more for all our imports, not so happy days.

As for prawns, currently we choose to use our quota fishing in other countries waters and in exchange let them fish our crustaceans in our waters, lose those aggreements and we will have a lot of prawns, langoustines and rock lobsters but we wouldn't have the fish we actually eat a lot of. 

I was looking for the article I read this morning but failed, unfortunately - specifically about live seafood exports via road to the continent being potentially hit by additional delays upon entry to the EU. Another Brexit bonus - ladies with baskets on street corners singing 'cockles and mussels alive, alive oh!'...

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

And what are you going to be doing when the EU realises their predicted coming economic Golden Age?  Waving frantically at the very much boyant ship as it sails rapidly away hoping it will notice you?

Well Kieran00001; I hope to be doing pretty much what I'm doing now. Tending the buffaloes, fixing the duck fencing, looking after 40 cats and reading TVForum posts to become better educated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yes but it metrically defined

As in 1 inch is EXACTLY 2.5400000000cm 

36 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Your comments are an insult to our fishermen, and to an industry that has been decimated by the CFP. We are an island nation surrounded by sea, yet we currently have to allow other countries to fish in British waters. 

Fishing should be a major UK industry because we are an island. Instead our waters are overrun by foreign boats, and our fishermen end up dumping tonnes of dead fish back into the sea because of quotas.

This madness will hopefully come to an end once we've left the EU.

Bring back the cod wars while we can still take Iceland on.  Rule Britannia! Am I right in thinking everything from Scilly to Islas Malvinas will rightfully be ours?

20 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I used to be proud to be a citizen of one of the most influential countries in the most important trading block in the world, a country that championed human rights and promoted open markets, free trade, and personal freedom of movement and employment.  Now I don’t see us having much influence in Europe or anywhere else, I don’t see us improving our commitment to freedom of movement and employment, and I am not impressed with the crew who are navigating through these rocky shoals.

I’m sure once we’re free from the dead hand of the EU people will be queuing up to buy minis and land rovers and lotuses 

The UK will always champion human rights.  We don't need a bunch of old men in Brussels to help us with that.

And going back to the Common Fisheries Policy, we definitely don't need them to continue carving up our fishing waters. Unless perhaps they plan to carve up and share out the rich wine growing regions of France, or the olive land in Spain.

The only thing I agree with you on is the UK "crew" in charge of the Brexit process. They need to get wise to the EU kidology, and start to toughen up - and quick!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The UK will always champion human rights.  We don't need a bunch of old men in Brussels to help us with that.

16 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

And going back to the Common Fisheries Policy, we definitely don't need them to continue carving up our fishing waters. Unless perhaps they plan to carve up and share out the rich wine growing regions of France, or the olive land in Spain.

The only thing I agree with you on is the UK "crew" in charge of the Brexit process. They need to get wise to the EU kidology, and start to toughen up - and quick!

The trouble comes when liberals start asserting that Johnny Foreigners deserve human rights the same as you and me, as if humans were all the same

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

The trouble comes when liberals start asserting that Johnny Foreigners deserve human rights the same as you and me, as if humans were all the same

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights drafted by different people and cultures around the world govern it.

Nothing to do with liberals

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

How much beer, shrimps do we actually export?  The only 'British' beers I see overseas are Guinness, Kilkenny which are brewed locally under management from the Isle of Man or one of these other offshore tax havens, and Deuchars IPA in Fatt's Place on Hart Avenue, Tsim Sha Tsui.