Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

8 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

What was it that suggested to you that my stat might be wrong?  What you read on wiki?

I bother to check several sources and look for consistent agreement within the most credible ones. 

19 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I bother to check several sources and look for consistent agreement within the most credible ones. 

When looking for a population and a percentage of a particular religion, as we were juypst talking about?  Seems a little OTT.

8 hours ago, vogie said:

All I am saying is that you are wrong, the ethnic minority in Bradford voted to remain as my link proves, have you a link to show the opposite of my link to the voting in Bradford?

You might care to note that I have not made a false statement.  The "enthnic minority" didn't all vote one way, perhaps the majority of them voted Brexit, but I didn't claim otherwise, I just stated the truth, that many Pakistanis voted Leave, and I also stated that Bradford voted Leave, which they did, despite the fact that some white wards may have tipped that balance.  Are you trying to claim that no Pakistanis voted Leave?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Not wishing to take sides here (much), but here's what you said:

"Lots of Pakistanis voted Leave in the hope that if there were less European immigrants that would mean that the rules for British citizens foreign dependents would be loosened."

Who told you this?

If you Google it, you will find a number of interviews with Pakistanis stating their reason for voting Leave.  Here is an example.

The morning after the EU referendum, my day started with text from a friend: "Congratulation lad, UK left EU." The result was a surprise, but the text was not. In my social group of about 20 South Asian immigrants, only one friend and I voted Remain. The rest were fervent Brexiteers. The South Asian immigrants at my part-time job – all of whom are either residents or British citizens – voted Leave. Every South Asian immigrant I met before the referendum thought that even I was voting Leave, because that was the "right thing to do".

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/wdabxb/why-did-south-asians-vote-for-brexit

Many of them giving the reason that they were leafletted with statements such as this one.

IMG_4566.JPG.35a45c857519709f7d98d2fd0410e9b3.JPG

And then there was all the Tory Rhetroic, their Leave Chairman questioning why relatives of immigrants from the Indian sub-continent have to jump through hoops to come to the UK.  The employment minister calling the immigration policy biased as it isn't difficult for Indian sportspeople and  Indian priests to visit the UK.

10 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

"Already the BOE has said that a rate rise is due in May and reports say that millions of households will be in serious trouble"

Interest rates have been at historic lows since around 2009. Currently the base rate is still just 0.5%. If people have over borrowed thinking that the base rate would stay under 1% forever they were badly misinformed. These minute rises should not put households into trouble unless they've been reckless with their borrowing.

We are a long way from 'normal' base rates which might be around 5-8%. If you go back to 1989, 90, 91...now THOSE were rate rises!

Yes indeed, but people have been living beyond their means for a long time now, maxed out credit cards and mortgages that they can barely afford even now. The BOE is concerned at what will happen at even a 1% rise as is the government,there were several articles in various newspapers concerning this, Many councils are on a knifes edge as well with their finances. If Brexit causes a lot of unemployment,which it doesn't have to of course, then a perfect storm is brewing which would also affect the rest of Europe,couple that with a trade war and we are all in trouble.

53 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You might care to note that I have not made a false statement.  The "enthnic minority" didn't all vote one way, perhaps the majority of them voted Brexit, but I didn't claim otherwise, I just stated the truth, that many Pakistanis voted Leave, and I also stated that Bradford voted Leave, which they did, despite the fact that some white wards may have tipped that balance.  Are you trying to claim that no Pakistanis voted Leave?

And you might care to note whilst you may have not have provided a false statement, neither have you provided any actual facts, all you have done is speculated. This is from the link you provided.

A number of jurisdictions with large South Asian populations delivered Leave votes, including Luton (56.5% Leave), Hillingdon (56.4% Leave), Slough (54.3% Leave) and Bradford (54.2% Leave). All have South Asian populations of 25% and above. It’s not unreasonable to think that such Leave votes could not have been delivered without a significant number of Asian voters opting for Brexit.

I have provided you with facts that the ethnic minority wards voted to remain within the EU. Maybe there were some Pakistanis living in white wards or ethnic wards that voted leave, but we/you cannot verify this, again it is pure speculation.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, malagateddy said:

Soulbury..you are such a down beat person..the UK will do just fine in time to come..re people up to their neck in debt..it is their own fault..not being able to differentiate between managable debt and " quicksand " debt..ditto councils who will not sticj to the basics imo.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am just being realistic to the possibilities, these assessments haven't grown on my allotment. Admittedly newspapers like to paint the darkest picture possible, bad news sells well. I wouldn't say 'it's their problem' if a large section of the community is in financial trouble it is a problem for the nation with knock on effects for the trading partners, remember the Asian financial crisis which started in Thailand, a long distance away but it eventually affected the whole world.

18 minutes ago, aright said:

With one year to go until Brexit, the appetite for nitpicking obstructionism amongst Remainer peers is proving insatiable

"It is sad that some of those who lost the referendum are so keen to damage Britain in an effort to justify their wild forecasts of disaster"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/03/26/one-year-go-brexit-appetite-nitpicking-obstructionism-amongst/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

What's the hourly rate for a nit picker ?

20 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Of course sporting events are the epitome of fair play"

I assume you're joking? :laugh:

Regardless, we all know politicians/big business and medias' only interest is self-interest... and that isn't going to change in the near future...

Apologies, missed out 'considered'.

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I am just being realistic to the possibilities, these assessments haven't grown on my allotment. Admittedly newspapers like to paint the darkest picture possible, bad news sells well. I wouldn't say 'it's their problem' if a large section of the community is in financial trouble it is a problem for the nation with knock on effects for the trading partners, remember the Asian financial crisis which started in Thailand, a long distance away but it eventually affected the whole world.

There is a more than evens chance that brexit will pave the way to the UK being in Schengen and the Euro. The brexiteers are gambling on no future parliament taking steps to rejoin the EU.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vogie said:

And you might care to note whilst you may have not have provided a false statement, neither have you provided any actual facts, all you have done is speculated. This is from the link you provided.

A number of jurisdictions with large South Asian populations delivered Leave votes, including Luton (56.5% Leave), Hillingdon (56.4% Leave), Slough (54.3% Leave) and Bradford (54.2% Leave). All have South Asian populations of 25% and above. It’s not unreasonable to think that such Leave votes could not have been delivered without a significant number of Asian voters opting for Brexit.

I have provided you with facts that the ethnic minority wards voted to remain within the EU. Maybe there were some Pakistanis living in white wards or ethnic wards that voted leave, but we/you cannot verify this, again it is pure speculation.

Considering the large number of Pakistanis who have stated that they voted Leave, I feel it is possible to verify.  I provided a quote from a Pakistani who stated that everyone he knew voted Leave, it is not speculating to listen to people. 

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Considering the large number of Pakistanis who have stated that they voted Leave, I feel it is possible to verify.  I provided a quote from a Pakistani who stated that everyone he knew voted Leave, it is not speculating to listen to people. 

You are not verifying anything, all you are doing is listening to gossip. That is not evidence and I would imagine you know that anyway, there is a vast difference between a quote and fact, better just look at the facts and the results of the ethnic minority ward voting.

24 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You call looking up a counties population, research, hillarious!

I know it must seem funny to you but some effort to verify facts does help to avoid errors. Innit?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, vogie said:

You are not verifying anything, all you are doing is listening to gossip. That is not evidence and I would imagine you know that anyway, there is a vast difference between a quote and fact, better just look at the facts and the results of the ethnic minority ward voting.

Ever heard the expression, straight from the horses mouth?  Quotes are not gossip.

And when you speculated on the wards data you did not find facts, so do at least try not to be so ironic.

UKIP had a prominent Pakistani candidate, they also had a known Pakistani voter base, we have many interviews with British Pakistanis stating that they voted Leave, and we have the campaign material used to target them.  Going by he Oren referendum pols we saw a third planning to vote Leave and it is estimated that 1/3 of South Asians in the UK voted Leave.  

Unless you have some "fact" to the contrary I think it can be assumed that what I wrote was factual, lots of Pakistanis did vote Leave.

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I know it must seem funny to you but some effort to verify facts does help to avoid errors. Innit?

So you are saying that the numbers I gave, which came from the WorldBank, are unverifiable?  Instead of these inane accusations, how's about countering one of my facts with a fact of your own, for a change?  A researchers of your calibre should be able to come up with at least one, surely? 

10 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Ever heard the expression, straight from the horses mouth?  Quotes are not gossip.

And when you speculated on the wards data you did not find facts, so do at least try not to be so ironic.

UKIP had a prominent Pakistani candidate, they also had a known Pakistani voter base, we have many interviews with British Pakistanis stating that they voted Leave, and we have the campaign material used to target them.  Going by he Oren referendum pols we saw a third planning to vote Leave and it is estimated that 1/3 of South Asians in the UK voted Leave.  

Unless you have some "fact" to the contrary I think it can be assumed that what I wrote was factual, lots of Pakistanis did vote Leave.

Don't waste your time with explanations: people only hear what they want to hear.” 
 Paulo Coelho

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

So you are saying that the numbers I gave, which came from the WorldBank, are unverifiable?  Instead of these inane accusations, how's about countering one of my facts with a fact of your own, for a change?  A researchers of your calibre should be able to come up with at least one, surely? 

No. That's not what I'm saying. What I will say is that if you visit several sources (websites) you will see several different sets of numbers. Indonesia is always listed as the country with highest number of muslims, not India. The difference is anywhere from 30-50m. The average difference is about 40m. 

• Thanks 1