Food Dehydrators

FTB

Greetings,

I am looking for electric/gas food dehydrators ( for drying fruits, vedgies, etc.) however I've been unlucky in finding them.  Any finger pointing help would be appreciated.  I did a search and found Yok on the SuperHighway opposite Makro sells them  Sadly their starting prices were 20,000Bht.  Gulp.  I want to try drying food and am looking for an inexpensive version with which to dip my toes.  In the states you can get them all day for under $100.  I attempted the Thai way of drying them in the bamboo basket but after 3 days the  bananas were far from dry and that is in 34 degree weather.  I'm certain there are inexpensive dehydratora about it's just discovering where, as is always the challenge over here.

Thanks in advance.

We have been sun drying bananas for years in a wedge shaped aluminum dryer with a glass face and a stainless wire tray, about 2.5'x1.5'x1' overall.  Use for other fruits and veggies too.  Bought it from an EGAT booth at a fair.

Thanks guys for the responses.

Dante Does your dryer have a fan inside your dryer,?  are the sides screen?  How long with your system doe it take for the bananas to fully dehydrate.  I'm going on two days in my normal oven which seems like forever.  I've sliced the bananas about 1/4" thick or 6mm.

CMKiwi yes looking at Lazada now, thanks for the suggestion.

13 hours ago, FTB said:

Thanks guys for the responses.

Dante Does your dryer have a fan inside your dryer,?  are the sides screen?  How long with your system doe it take for the bananas to fully dehydrate.  I'm going on two days in my normal oven which seems like forever.  I've sliced the bananas about 1/4" thick or 6mm.

CMKiwi yes looking at Lazada now, thanks for the suggestion.

No fan.  Sides are glass.  We do not fully dehydrate, our end result is chewy not crunchy, and we do not slice.  Time depends on a lot of factors but if you think two days is forever, this is probably not a method for you.

On 2/28/2018 at 10:22 PM, FTB said:

I attempted the Thai way of drying them in the bamboo basket but after 3 days the  bananas were far from dry and that is in 34 degree weather. 

You have to place them in the sun, turn them every 2-3 hours, and bring them in at night.

Two days in the sun usually does it (sliced in half lengthwise)

• Like 1

I saw something similar outside a shop, but using pork strips.

Not sure if they were trying to make pork jerky or crispy pork!  However the abundance of flies on the meat was not very appetising.   

May I'm just a stupid falang....all Thai know that flies there to keep the meat cool by beating their wings ?

Well I have been dehydrating in the oven to see about the process after my not overly successful attempt at the bamboo basket outdoors.  So far tomatoes, apples, and cherries have worked.  Also tried yogurt and some spaghetti sauce.  Sauce went fine but rehydrating the yogurt was a failure haha. Dante's glass rig will increase the temps dramatically and is much more efficient.  Being a lazy bugger I ordered one off Lazada.

Thanks everyone for the input.