Requirements to retire for Millionaire?

23 minutes ago, poanoi said:

if i had known then what i know today, -i would have retire in caribbean instead,

no visa hassle and same climate

And the prices would be same as well?

19 minutes ago, HampiK said:

And the prices would be same as well?

caribbean probably would have been cheaper,

i spent around 40k baht  per year on visa in thailand,

but on any caribbean island belonging to an EU member, -it would have been free,

and not even any reporting at that.

on top of that, no massage or medication cost

to combat pain sustained on the endless visa runs,

to say nothing of the suffering all by itself

Edited by poanoi

1 minute ago, poanoi said:

caribbean probably would have been cheaper,

i spent around 40k baht  per year on visa in thailand,

but on any caribbean island belonging to an EU member, -it would have been free,

and not even any reporting at that

I mean the cost of living?

About the reporting I think this would be easier in many other countries if you come from a first world country.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I do think spending $35K on a car is nuts. For many years now, I have bought secondhand cars with less than 100K on the odometer, had them serviced regularly, and driven them into the ground. New cars are financial suicide, and I have no interest in impressing my friends or neighbors.

I couldn’t buy a used car for my retirement. I just could not.

You see..

The controller in the head office singed a new lease every two years.

I was provided with a new car every 24 months when I was working in US.:smile:

1 minute ago, HampiK said:

I mean the cost of living?

About the reporting I think this would be easier in many other countries if you come from a first world country.

i come from a first world country, a EU member, and as such,

any dutch/french caribbean paradise island is mine until i'm dead.

40k baht for visa cost every year plus medical cost offset any potential extra cost

in caribbean, not that i think western food is more expensive in caribbean

49 minutes ago, poanoi said:

if i had known then what i know today, -i would have retire in caribbean instead,

no visa hassle and same climate

Does the Caribbean have women as beautiful as Thailand?

2 minutes ago, poanoi said:

40k baht for visa cost every year plus medical cost offset any potential extra cost

I agree with you, that 40K baht visa cost per year is a lot. I come to about 7'000 visa costs per year for me (including re-entry permit).

But anyway I would use Health Insurance cost there as well... so I would only safe 7'000 baht per year on visa costs.. the rest would be same... and the food I don't know cheaper or not, housing cheaper or not.

But doesn't matter... I am happy with my choice.

7 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

You see..

So it was not your money going into those new cars. And your point is?

19 minutes ago, poanoi said:

Given the hundreds of wars there in recent history, there are many who would dispute that this is the "first" world as you say.  Far from it!

3 minutes ago, norrska said:

Given the hundreds of wars there in recent history, there are many who would dispute that this is the "first" world as you say.  Far from it!

i think oiled up norwegian brads are on a roller coaster,

to my knowledge 2nd richest country in the world

On 3/1/2018 at 1:50 PM, DILLIGAD said:

Agree. I started with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would a real millionaire be scared of having not enough money for a visa? Have you ever thought about it? If a millionaire can't even park 800 K on a bank account here, there's gotta be something wrong. 

We started with nothing when we were born and we'll have to leave with nothing when we have to go. Hopefully not alone being homeless on a park bench...life can be a bi..aeeh a dishonest woman.  

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Does the Caribbean have women as beautiful as Thailand?

OMG, I had the luck to holiday in Venezuela and before I came to Thailand I thought that the most beautiful women were in Venezuela and then come the Spanish senoritas. Uno grande cerveza' per favore' sexy senorita Paloma. Un poco de determinacio'n es sexy un hombre. God, I miss my Paloma,

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

OMG, I had the luck to holiday in Venezuela and before I came to Thailand I thought that the most beautiful women were in Venezuela and then come the Spanish senoritas. Uno grande cerveza' per favore' sexy senorita Paloma. Un poco de determinacio'n es sexy un hombre. God, I miss my Paloma,

I just left Colombia, on the Caribbean side. All I found at my age, I am 66. Was most women after the age of 40 were fat and had a slew of kids. Some pretty slim pickings. 

Mexican riveara. In the Yucatan was bad enough, but Colombia was the pits for women. At least for me.

Venezuela? you have got to be kidding me. That is the most dangerous country in the world right now. They were crossing the border into Colombia by the thousands trying to escape Venezuela.

Depends on what turns you on I guess. But, i prefer slim women. Not women with huge butts and tits. The only thing I can say I liked was there passion. But, finding one that was pleasing to look at was a chore to say the least, after the age of 40 anyway.

I do miss the beautiful country side there. Absolutely beautiful IMO beats S.E. Asia hands down. 

6 hours ago, Thailand J said:

You see..

With that portfolio I would not think about a used car either. :)

But you are in the minority here.

For people like me, I keep a vehicle here and one in the states. 

Buying a new car every two years would seriously cut back on my fun.. haha

I bought both of mine new, but will not buy another new one. Especially when used is almost as good as new IMO now days. If you really watch it and take care of your vehicles they will last a LONG time.

A matter of what your priorities are and what you want to spend your money on, and how much you have to spend. :)

Unfortunately I ain't got the money for new vehicles every few years and to travel and live the life style I enjoy. So I am in the used care camp now also. Trying to stretch my dollar as far as I can.

Enjoy.

I drove a new car from my company every two years from 10 km or so and returned it at 30,000km or so..and then when I retired I could not bring myself to buy a used car, even if I have to borrow the money.

" here is your retirement car only 99,999KM on it. enjoy."

Arhg...

I am happy with my 10 year old Fortuner bought new Feb 28, 2008 paid 1,096,000B. I plan to keep it a few more years.

I buy a new car almost every year I have 14 equally talented nieces and nephews. :)

Looks like you are a half-millionaire -- not a millionaire. And with you being only 50 y.o., that is not enough to live a comfortable life for another 25 to 40 years in Thailand. 

Yeah, you could make it on only a half-million bucks, but you'll probably burn out on such a meager lifestyle for the rest of your life. 

With all due respect, you are misinformed/naive about how much money one needs to retire these days. And don't forget: Each year your money will buy less and less. Don't plan your future with today's money value.

4 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

Looks like you are a half-millionaire -- not a millionaire. And with you being only 50 y.o., that is not enough to live a comfortable life for another 25 to 40 years in Thailand. 

Yeah, you could make it on only a half-million bucks, but you'll probably burn out on such a meager lifestyle for the rest of your life. 

With all due respect, you are misinformed/naive about how much money one needs to retire these days. And don't forget: Each year your money will buy less and less. Don't plan your future with today's money value.

no, he will pick up regular pension somewhere around age 65, -15 years from now,

so he can spend a million baht a year until he get pension.

i dont get a million a year in pension but i can and did go out every night year after year

On 2/28/2018 at 7:41 PM, darrendsd said:

Cost of a TE for 5 years, 500K

Cost of retirement extensions, 1900 Baht a year is it? Please correct me if i'm wrong on that,  so less than 10k for the same 5 years

I would think that paying 490K more than what you need to would be a no brainer for most people

I doubt all the benefits the TE offers add up to 490K worth

You are not everybody. Some people -- like me -- value their time and freedom from hassles as much or more than money. I am super happy with my Thai Elite Visa and will buy another one in three years.

I'm always amused/confused by howe negatively reactionary so many thaivasa.com members get when the Elite Visa is mentioned. Maybe it's the name "elite"?

10 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

We started with nothing when we were born and we'll have to leave with nothing when we have to go. Hopefully not alone being homeless on a park bench...

LOL, Didn't you get the memo, the idea is to go out on a bar stool hopefully before you paid the tab.

9 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Venezuela????Maybe if you can travel around in an APC and wear a flak jacket!  Spain?  Also not impressed.  Sorry!

On 2/28/2018 at 10:47 PM, darrendsd said:

Unless you live in one of the designated areas where the TE offer to do your 90 day reports for you and there are not many you will be standing in line at Immigration just like everyone else, no matter how rich you are

I would rather stand in line at Immigration and wait 10 minutes than pay a extra 490K for something that is not needed and that's just on a calculation on 5 years

By the way people who boast about how rich they are usually aren't, we have all met that sort before

Yeah. Like people who call themselves millionaires but only actually have 500K (or so they say).