Is 'Dek Dee' at the root of Thailand's problems?

PREM-R

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Thai government's don't want a thinking population,easier to control,

the less they know,and Thailand is not the only one.

regards worgeordie

It is little to do with governments........ control and self-interest goes way beyond that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Very true.

It was only recently that my wife (after living and studying in the UK for two years) said that if Thailand had been colonised by say the UK decades ago, it may actually have benefited the country today and in to the future.

I bet a large percentage of Thai people would never even contemplate that thought as they seem to have this strong, deep rooted nationalistic attitude, all which is ingrained from a young age. 

Thais have a lot of freedom, unlike the UK.

My kids did very well in the government system, however went/go to unis abroad.

Good OP.  It's not just the elites that are happy. Somchai at the tax office is also happy as he also has his own little kingdom. Thai society is totally based on a social hierarchy. The philosophy of not teaching the kids is actually one that comes from China. 

In the UK btw, national pride was ingrained into me. Standing for the anthem at cinemas etc. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

It was only recently that my wife (after living and studying in the UK for two years) said that if Thailand had been colonised by say the UK decades ago, it may actually have benefited the country today and in to the future.

Why does she think that? 

2 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Thais have a lot of freedom, unlike the UK.

I find that highly confusing unless your children also hold a foreign passport. 

If you refer to freedom in their own country, highly debatable depending on their upbringing and family. 

If you refer to freedom to travel and work abroad etc, also highly debatable as Thai nationals cannot easily travel or emigrate around the world. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Why does she think that? 

It was a conversation. Something she has never mentioned before. It might be wrong, but there are certainly lots of things that are very ingrained in society here that without a doubt hold the nation back. Anyone who has lived here for some time knows that. 

4 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

If you refer to freedom in their own country, highly debatable depending on their upbringing and family. 

If you refer to freedom to travel and work abroad etc, also highly debatable as Thai nationals cannot easily travel or emigrate around the world. 

My kids have  2 passports, obviously. I'm talking about freedom in general, not just travelling abroad. However, my sister in law works in Germany, and I have known many many Thais that have worked or studied abroad. Had a taxi driver this week who worked abroad for 8 years. 

3 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Racial nonsense. Do you have any Thai relatives btw, maybe a Thai girlfriend or wife?

Absolutely.  My (Thai) missis is a case in point - she's very intelligent, speaks excellent English and learns quickly, reads a lot and watches educational TV rather than soaps - it's not her fault she had a crap education and graduating from high school at age 18 left her on a par with an 11+ (almost).  Big problem - (which she now recognises aged 30 something) is that when she left school, graduation certificate in hand, she actually believed she was well educated. 

Fast forward a few years, now with a law degree which is totally and utterly useless as no law firm will even consider it a qualification as it was obtained through years of correspondence.  Zero prospects of what 'we' would consider a proper job with commensurate wage.

• Like 2

I've lived here many years and known many guys to go 'home' for their children's education. Not all turn out well. One old friend told me recently that his daughter was pregnant at 16 and in jail at 18, from dealing drugs.

There are pros and cons about going to school in Thailand. Mostly cons, for sure unless the parent takes interest. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

This is an extremely complex subject and there is no way that any foreigner can  fully understand all the dynamics involved.

I disagree. Perhaps change 'foreigner' to expat who doesn't learn the Thai language or integrate into society.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Fast forward a few years, now with a law degree which is totally and utterly useless as no law firm will even consider it a qualification as it was obtained through years of correspondence.  Zero prospects of what 'we' would consider a proper job with commensurate wage.

The well-paid jobs are going to young graduates with a Master's from abroad. 

24 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Thais are more free in many senses.  They are not subject to such rigorous enforcement of (often petty) laws.  They are free to do what they like without having a CCTV camera peering over their shoulder every 10 metres like in the UK.  The UK is a bureaucratic open prison.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Mr Patrick is  correct- one must be in Thailand long term and speak Thai to fully comprehend this issue and yes all the good paying jobs are going to Thais with Master's Degrees from abroad.

I also find interesting that most Thais who go abroad for  several years to study and/or work come back to Thailand and have lost their Thainess. They  become irritated at the same things we do and often actually speak about it but they are smart enough not to go public with it.

I read CSI LA on facebook. More and more are speaking out about these issues. 

43 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

IMHO- Thailand has good natural resources; a willing population who with proper training  an education can succeed and excel.  My step daughter actually on my urging gave an opinion and had the right answer- "We need a new generation, younger and with new ideas to take over". Maybe there is hope.

It's interesting that one area, maybe the only area, in which Thais excel is the arts. Blunting that kind of creativity by rote learning is almost impossible so the real potential of a Thai is able to shine through.

30 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Mr Patrick is  correct- one must be in Thailand long term and speak Thai to fully comprehend this issue and yes all the good paying jobs are going to Thais with Master's Degrees from abroad.

I also find interesting that most Thais who go abroad for  several years to study and/or work come back to Thailand and have lost their Thainess. They  become irritated at the same things we do and often actually speak about it but they are smart enough not to go public with it.

I can agree with this. My wife studied an MSc in England and we moved back here in August. Those two years definitely changed her outlook on things here a lot. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Google IQ levels in different countries. Thailand is waaaay down the list. Why that is so is referred to in several of the above posts. The system does not encourage critical think, only that you mustn't question your elders.

I'm aware of IQ's in different countries. This has nothing to do with critical thinking, IMHO. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

In my opinion Thailand would have benefited through colonisation, although I do despise it.  One of the first things a colonial power does is streamline bureaucracy.  The Thai administration is inefficient because it is steeped in nepotism.  Many govt processes are created just to give jobs to family, friends, and those who are considered loyal.  Qualifications, competence, and experience are low on the list.

Like India benefited? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I'm aware of IQ's in different countries. This has nothing to do with critical thinking, IMHO. 

Critical thinking is a huge thing. Being allowed to have an open opinion, questioning things and learning about worldwide issues is something sorely lost in normal education here. 

• Like 2