Question for Canadians with Retirement visas

Surely a Statutory Declaration of Income shows the amount and is factual proof of income. Immigration is asking the embassy to prove that the SDI is genuine.  By definition, the amount is correct so it is pointless the embassy asking for more proof. If you can satisfy the embassy by means other than the SDI then no need for embassy involvement because you can give such proof directly to Immigration.  

The Consulate requires proof of income - bank statements, etc.

In my experience, they only do a very cursory review of the statements.

You can submit your statements plus a notarized declaration by mail. Fast turnaround with your certificate and bank statements sent by EMS. Easy.

2 hours ago, glegolo said:

Yes and that goes for the most of us, except for the americans. We need proof not just write a number and "we promise and swear"..

glegolo

The U.S. Embassy is only notarizing our signatures to the letter. IF we get checked and is proven to be an incorrect statement we can be prosecuted for perjury, lying on official documents, have our visa revoked, deported and blacklisted. And that's just from the Thai government.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

Yeah, the easy way out so to speak

glegolo

The law requires that I have an income of 65K baht a month. So, that is what I put down. I receive a lot more, but that is no business of the Thai government. If I had to show proof and document it, there would be no privacy from the government. I appreciate the fact that the U.S. Embassy trust what I tell them.

• Like 1

Being me I did it the hard way. But you can do it this way also if you like.

I showed my monthly pension's individually( I get a letter annually showing what the pension's will be next year) . 

My investments  and what they provide me each year.

Lastly I had a photo copy of my tax return from the previous year.

Worked for me got the letter.from Embassy.

Edited by lovelomsak

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

It always aggravates some people that their government assumes that they're liars until proven otherwise

Yes, the whole innocent/honest until proven otherwise thing seems to upset some other nationalities. Seems their governments have a pretty dim view of their own citizens. I wonder if they allow their citizens to testify in court with a simple oath or possibly they use water-boarding to get to the truth.

Suradit69 - I believe you think too much about yourself and your own goverment. I do not think that reputationwise america is the most truthful people in the world....

prove you income like everybody else, go over to meter and kilometer as everybody else... and be part of the world

glegolo

5 hours ago, glegolo said:

Suradit69 - I believe you think too much about yourself and your own goverment. I do not think that reputationwise america is the most truthful people in the world....

prove you income like everybody else, go over to meter and kilometer as everybody else... and be part of the world

glegolo

Why do you care, is it a problem for you that a country other than yours has different rules. Get back to the question the OP asked if you are Canadian.

I show proof of income. 

Letter from financial manager regarding RIF income. Letters confirming OAS and CPP, union pension and income from rental property. 

I was told to keep letters current as immigration may challenge them, but I haven’t. 

What I did for O-A "retirement" Visa was have my bank, (TD Canada Trust) type out a statement on their bank stationary to the effect I had sufficient funds, more than the amount demanded by Thailand Immigration, being automatically deposited into my account each month. Signed by TD Canada Trust branch manager, and then I had it notarized by my lawyer with official seal and lawyer signature. The Royal Thai Embassy was very happy with that... (plus my health questionaire and police proof of no criminal record....both also signed by officials and notarized by my lawyer. )

• Like 2

17 hours ago, thaikahuna said:

The U.S. Embassy is only notarizing our signatures to the letter. IF we get checked and is proven to be an incorrect statement we can be prosecuted for perjury, lying on official documents, have our visa revoked, deported and blacklisted. And that's just from the Thai government.

correct and a very important distinction.  The USA is not verifying anything.  The Thai Government is basically trusting the person, and the Thais may or may not understand what is actually being done.  The USA embassy just certifies that YOU are asserting the income

6 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

correct and a very important distinction.  The USA is not verifying anything.  The Thai Government is basically trusting the person, and the Thais may or may not understand what is actually being done.  The USA embassy just certifies that YOU are asserting the income

And its going on and on,,,,, what kind of bull is this. "thai immigration may or may not understand"... You americans are NOT setting the rules here. YOU are to obey them nothing else. Thais do not have to understand a shit what is going on at your embassy.. As long as you can present a strict HONEST proven document stating your HONEST proven income....

They do not care if you promise this and that, and pray to higher ground, they want the american goverment to be so honest that they at least confirm your income at the grounds of honest vouchers from your home-country....and not only based on your honest not proven word....

The thais KNOWS what is going on, and that is WHY they are checking you from time to time, and unfortunately you are also casting your shadow on everybody else in this respect from time to time....

glegolo

10 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Why do you care, is it a problem for you that a country other than yours has different rules. Get back to the question the OP asked if you are Canadian.

The OP refered to Statuary Declaration of Income but obviously didn’t mean it, and that is the reason that all the fiddles known are being discussed.   

2 hours ago, glegolo said:

And its going on and on,,,,, what kind of bull is this. "thai immigration may or may not understand"... You americans are NOT setting the rules here. YOU are to obey them nothing else. Thais do not have to understand a shit what is going on at your embassy.. As long as you can present a strict HONEST proven document stating your HONEST proven income....

They do not care if you promise this and that, and pray to higher ground, they want the american goverment to be so honest that they at least confirm your income at the grounds of honest vouchers from your home-country....and not only based on your honest not proven word....

The thais KNOWS what is going on, and that is WHY they are checking you from time to time, and unfortunately you are also casting your shadow on everybody else in this respect from time to time....

glegolo

Stop your yelling. You clearly have no idea about what you are talking about.  I never said anything about not obeying Thai rules.  You don't seem to understand what the American embassy requires, or more accurately doesn't require.  People could be lying out their <deleted>. The American embassy only basically notarizes that the American says he has the income.    The Thais do NOT want the American government to do anything, nor do they require them to do anything.  No American to my knowledge has ever had to show any proof.  I wouldn't mind if they did since I have proof.  But your ranting is going in the wrong direction

23 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

It always aggravates some people that their government assumes that they're liars until proven otherwise

Yes, the whole innocent/honest until proven otherwise thing seems to upset some other nationalities. Seems their governments have a pretty dim view of their own citizens. I wonder if they allow their citizens to testify in court with a simple oath or possibly they use water-boarding to get to the truth.

Brilliant, more little white lies. I’m sure your embassy rolls it’s eyes when you declare your income. I’ve never met so many economic refugees on starvation pensions.

Did you ever think they’d rather have you here, than littering the streets back there?

I've done the proof of income at the CDN consulate a few times.  I always take printed copies of bank statements, tax assessment, T4, paystub (or invoice)...and request a letter claiming less.  Never an issue, appointment late morning and collect letter in the afternoon.

23 hours ago, RobFord said:

Letter from financial manager regarding RIF income. Letters confirming OAS and CPP, union pension and income from rental property. 

Can somebody please explain why so many people from the USA wrote comments when the person posting asked about a CANADIAN issue?  In Canada, we have different laws, etc. and thus the answers from the USA do not necessarily apply.

Rob and Catoni, I am from Canada and know the requirements to obtain a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa from the Royal Thai Embassy but nothing about what is required by Thai Immigration while in Thailand.  The reason for writing this screed is because of your statement.  First, and this I do know about, be careful because the Canadian Government only allows a person out of the country for 6 months and they can receive OAS and CPP during that time.  If the government find you are out of the country even one day over that time, they stop all payments until you return to Canada and reapply for both.  When reinstated, the payments will not be retroactive but start from the date the OAS and CPP payments are re-instated.  Also, if from Ontario, OHIP is only usable for seven months of a year.  Just before I left Canada in December, the Canadian Government announced that they propose to link all persons who are leaving the country and are receiving OAS and/or CPP, with immigration at ALL departure/entry points, i.e., airports, ports, land border exits/entrances, and railway locations, in order to have records of those people in an attempt to prevent us from continuing to receive payment when out of the country for more than the allotted time limit.  It is supposed to be introduced in the near future but no date fixed as yet.

Edited by wotsdermatter
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 8:45 PM, wotsdermatter said:

Can somebody please explain why so many people from the USA wrote comments when the person posting asked about a CANADIAN issue?  In Canada, we have different laws, etc. and thus the answers from the USA do not necessarily apply.

Rob and Catoni, I am from Canada and know the requirements to obtain a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa from the Royal Thai Embassy but nothing about what is required by Thai Immigration while in Thailand.  The reason for writing this screed is because of your statement.  First, and this I do know about, be careful because the Canadian Government only allows a person out of the country for 6 months and they can receive OAS and CPP during that time.  If the government find you are out of the country even one day over that time, they stop all payments until you return to Canada and reapply for both.  When reinstated, the payments will not be retroactive but start from the date the OAS and CPP payments are re-instated.  Also, if from Ontario, OHIP is only usable for seven months of a year.  Just before I left Canada in December, the Canadian Government announced that they propose to link all persons who are leaving the country and are receiving OAS and/or CPP, with immigration at ALL departure/entry points, i.e., airports, ports, land border exits/entrances, and railway locations, in order to have records of those people in an attempt to prevent us from continuing to receive payment when out of the country for more than the allotted time limit.  It is supposed to be introduced in the near future but no date fixed as yet.

Please provide a link.

In the mean time for your review.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-international.html

On 3/3/2018 at 8:45 PM, wotsdermatter said:

I also just applied for and am receiving OAS. 

Cheers and God bless Canada.

B0EBFCCA-0C7A-446D-8D96-F19C6E4E447B.png

Rob Ford

I have lived in Thailand since 1996 but for the past few years have done so between Toronto and Bangkok.  Everytime Ito TO I call the Canadian Government Agency in Sudbury.  The people I have spoken to have always told me the same things that I mentioned.  Your link has now provided me with ammunition that I never had before and so I can take aim at the errors in the information they have provided.  While I like Canada, the winters are not the best time for me to be there due to medical problems.  Pity that at 77 I cannot find an affordable medical insurance plan that also does not have so many restrictions such as pre-existing conditions, which I have because they automatically disqualify me.

Many thanks for your reply and the link provided.  Hopefully, the government will not provide a link between immigration and CPP/OAS to "catch subversives."

Agree, God, bless Canada.

On 2018-03-03 at 8:45 AM, wotsdermatter said:

I'll do some research on the OAS and CPP.  I'm a Canadian citizen, born in Canada, and after living in the Canada all my life and busting my ass for more than 35 years working often 12 hours a day, six and seven days a week, three shifts, with only two weeks holidays during the summer and ten days off at Christmas....  paying all my taxes... paying into OAS and CPP... I should damn well be able to collect  in retirement after age 65 for the rest of my life no matter where I am in the world. Canadians contribute directly to OAS and either a CPP or a QPP plan during their working years, making this an earned pension. We earned it. These benefits belong to us, and must continue to be paid even if we no longer live or pay taxes in Canada.   The past few years I have spent more and more time in Thailand and Cambodia... and can see myself spending the rest of my life in southeast Asia... from Sri Lanka to the Philippines and everywhere in between... especially Thailand and Cambodia.  I better be getting my OAS and CPP.  

Edited by Catoni
Addition

On 2018-03-05 at 2:21 AM, wotsdermatter said:

Rob Ford

I have lived in Thailand since 1996 but for the past few years have done so between Toronto and Bangkok.  Everytime Ito TO I call the Canadian Government Agency in Sudbury.  The people I have spoken to have always told me the same things that I mentioned.  Your link has now provided me with ammunition that I never had before and so I can take aim at the errors in the information they have provided.  While I like Canada, the winters are not the best time for me to be there due to medical problems.  Pity that at 77 I cannot find an affordable medical insurance plan that also does not have so many restrictions such as pre-existing conditions, which I have because they automatically disqualify me.

Many thanks for your reply and the link provided.  Hopefully, the government will not provide a link between immigration and CPP/OAS to "catch subversives."

Agree, God, bless Canada.

I'm born and bred Canadian and worked hard all my life... paid my taxes... .paid into CPP and OAS for all those years on the promise I could collect it in my retirement years. 

Now I'm retired and collecting my OAS and CPP that I earned and is my right.

If I am out of the Canada for more than six months....  and IF THEY STOP my OAS and CPP...  then I sure as hell will continue to say "God bless Canada"... .but I will also say... "The God damned shitty Canadian Government can go to hell for breaking faith with me...  for lying to me.. and for the theft of my earnings from my years of labor." 

• Like 2

On 2018-03-03 at 8:45 AM, wotsdermatter said:

Can you cite your sources please ? ?   References.....  hard evidence for your claims.  

Thank you

9 minutes ago, Catoni said:

I'm born and bred Canadian and worked hard all my life... paid my taxes... .paid into CPP and OAS for all those years on the promise I could collect it in my retirement years. 

Now I'm retired and collecting my OAS and CPP that I earned and is my right.

If I am out of the Canada for more than six months....  and IF THEY STOP my OAS and CPP...  then I sure as hell will continue to say "God bless Canada"... .but I will also say... "The God damned shitty Canadian Government can go to hell for breaking faith with me...  for lying to me.. and for the theft of my earnings from my years of labor." 

The info posted earlier earlier seems to be a little ambiguous. I think it is saying they cannot send you payments directly to you while out the country for more than 6 months. I am certain that canh be avoided by having it sent to a bank in Canada.

image.png.72d4a8ecb30d6069f3594b13ab184254.png