Researcher sounds alarm over herbicide in disease-ravaged Nong Bua Lamphu

rooster59

Researcher sounds alarm over herbicide in disease-ravaged Nong Bua Lamphu

By SURASAK KRUAKHAM 
THE NATION 

06b07cbceb12980475c17541fbd5981b.jpeg

A RESEARCH team has raised concerns about high concentrations of Paraquat, a widely used herbicide that is harmful to humans, in some areas of Nong Bua Lamphu’s Suwannakhuha district.

“We have already raised the issue with the Nong Bua Lamphu governor and public health chief,” Assoc Professor Puangrat Kajitvichyanukul from Naresuan University said earlier this week. 

She spoke out after her team collected soil and water samples in Ban Khlong Charoen sub-district.

5c3de9547fc6decc90784f34535bde51.jpeg

Last year, at least 102 people in Nong Bua Lamphu came down with Necrotising fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease. Six of them died from the disease. 

“Although our findings cannot yet confirm the link between the disease and Paraquat, we have found this a cause for concern,” Puangrat said.

An exposure to Paraquat can cause burns, wounds and blisters. 

Puangrat said she had decided to speak out about finding high concentrations of Paraquat in Ban Khlong Charoen sub-district before her research concluded because she felt urgent action must be taken.

“A local reservoir is surrounded by sugarcane and rubber plantations,” she said. 

Local residents also did not use proper tap-water filters because they believed the use of filters slowed the water flow. 

She added that her team had found that farmers often used concentrations of the chemical that were four to eight times greater than what was recommended on labels. 

Puangrat said she hoped relevant agencies would act quickly to address the problem, because farmers generally started using chemicals at their farms beginning in April. 

Her team conducted the research through a collaboration of her university, the Nong Bua Maphu Public Health Office and a local research-promotion office. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30340062

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-03

1 minute ago, Lee4Life said:

Really? You think diet and diabetes and the other things you mention may somehow contribute to people being attacked by a flesh eating bacteria?

Have trouble understanding English?

I forgive you as English may not be your first language.

If other disease rates are high, it may not just be the paraquat as the cause.

Where do you think that I made any suggestion that the diseases I mentioned have anything to do with a flesh eating disease?

53 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

When Thailand will ban those chemicals that are illegal in the rest of the world?

This one iis banned in many places, but there are problems with others in the West. On the other hand, farmers in the west might be a little bit better at reading the dosage, not because they car emore about people, but because they do not want to pay for more of the stuff. The neoliberal wheel, no government regulations for corporations, is creating lots of problems from banks that are investing, corruption (sorry, lobbyism) (of course), and poor electoral systems,... we all suffer. Well! The poorer you are the more you do, but I digress.

• Like 2

And when they burn the fields, EVERYONE --RICH, POOR, AND those in between-- get sick, ... eventually! It is a double-whammy! Free smoking with an added dose to get you sick faster! No problem. There are lots of drugs you can take to keep you alive and keep paying for the drugs, the mia-noy, and the Benz of the hospital staff. 

How many doctors are out there raising a stink?

NONE!

But, they might be forced to breathe the stuff anyway, although they are probably all taking a break somewhere safe near a beach.

Poetic (in)JUSTICE?

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

There are many toxins affecting the farmers, household and otherwise. An inordinate number of cancer cases occur in rural areas as well.  This is not an infectious disease, it is a post-modern man-made holocaust. Add to this stress, alcohol, tobacco and 7/11, and one makes catastrophe. Such is life eh? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

She added that her team had found that farmers often used concentrations of the chemical that were four to eight times greater than what was recommended on labels.

Now there's a surprise... not.

Paraquat is banned in many countries: Austria, Denmark, Hungary, Republic of Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Malaysia and etc. Despite this the European Commission’s Standing Committee on the Food Chain and Animal Health approved the use of paraquat in European Union countries, despite the disagreement of some of them."

Another reason for Brexit!!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OmarZaid said:

There are many toxins affecting the farmers, household and otherwise. An inordinate number of cancer cases occur in rural areas as well.  This is not an infectious disease, it is a post-modern man-made holocaust. Add to this stress, alcohol, tobacco and 7/11, and one makes catastrophe. Such is life eh? 

Such is life ?

I'd say such is a world where corporations like Monsanto (biotechnologies) have a turnover that's bigger than countries such as Iceland, Guinea, Rwanda, Kirghiztan or Mongolia... And Monsanto, giant that it is,  is 'only' 1/3rd of Nestlé (agri-food industry) and 1/7th of BASF (chemicals, approx 100 billion dollars pr year).

I strongly recommend reading Noam Chomsky's book "Who Rules the World?" .... and the answer is not life.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

There has been some interesting replies on this thread.  One thing that piqued my curiosity, is if anyone has studied the smoke produced, from the burning of these fields throughout LOS.  We keep hearing about farmers use, misuse and abuse of the various chemicals.  We are all aware of the crazy smoke from burning fields.   There are days when the smoke will choke me up a bit, irritate the eyes, etc etc.  I always shrug it off as ....hey, it's just a bit smoke.   But what exactly is this smoke carrying as far as chemical content...anyone hazard an educated guess?   Should a farrang get "out of Dodge" during the burn season....or safe "enough" to just suck it up?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

There has been some interesting replies on this thread.  One thing that piqued my curiosity, is if anyone has studied the smoke produced, from the burning of these fields throughout LOS.  We keep hearing about farmers use, misuse and abuse of the various chemicals.  We are all aware of the crazy smoke from burning fields.   There are days when the smoke will choke me up a bit, irritate the eyes, etc etc.  I always shrug it off as ....hey, it's just a bit smoke.   But what exactly is this smoke carrying as far as chemical content...anyone hazard an educated guess?   Should a farrang get "out of Dodge" during the burn season....or safe "enough" to just suck it up?

Easy to give advice when you don't live there, but it certainly doesn't sound too healthy - if you don't have pressing reasons to stay, personally, I would "get outta town" for a while! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OmarZaid said:

An inordinate number of cancer cases occur in rural areas as well.  This is not an infectious disease, it is a post-modern man-made holocaust.

Indeed!

The number of young adults with cancer, many of them dying, is frightening.

Obviously, there are no (published) statistics regarding this scourge, but it is there, and growing fast...

• Like 1

Nonsense comments.. I worked on research project about DDT and paraquat in particular just after I left school 40 years ago. It definately affects human immune systems and its responses (autoimmune). I would expect a very strong physical link could be formed between cause and affect in this case.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Maybe you'd be better off in Libya during the burning field season...or maybe not...

52 minutes ago, sambum said:

Paraquat is banned in many countries: Austria, Denmark, Hungary, Republic of Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Malaysia and etc. Despite this the European Commission’s Standing Committee on the Food Chain and Animal Health approved the use of paraquat in European Union countries, despite the disagreement of some of them."

Another reason for Brexit!!!

There was a minor misunderstanding.

Juncker was drunk as usual, and his assistant thought the issue was about parakeet...parakeet, paraquat, sounds very much the same.

So the assistant, a bird lover, recommended the approval and here we are...

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 1

This is a case where the narrative seems to be getting ahead of the facts.  Make no mistake - paraquat is bad stuff and probably should be banned.  However, the facts as presented here are not consistent with paraquat poisoning.  Paraquat’s Toxicity is primarily in the lungs where it can cause a slow and painful asphyxiation, which is why I think it should be banned.  It does not, however, cause a flesh eating disease.  Also, it is not surprising that they found high concentrations in the soil.  In the environment paraquat binds tightly to soil and does not degrade.  It also does not get into water.  So while I would love to see another nail in its coffin this case does not seem to be on point.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

There was a confusion!

Juncker was drunk as usual, and his assistant thought the issue was about parakeet...parakeet, paraquat, sounds very much the same.

So the assistant, an animal lover, recommended the approval and here we are...

Maybe the assistant was a Grouse lover!