Researcher sounds alarm over herbicide in disease-ravaged Nong Bua Lamphu

rooster59

The link between paraquat and necrotising fascitis is dubious. Agreed paraquat is nasty stuff. Fascitis is a bacterial infection, and difficult to cure because said bacteria are antibiotic resistant.

Methinks the researcher is falling for the Oldenburg Stork correlation fallacy.

23 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Maybe you'd be better off in Libya during the burning field season...or maybe not...

Maybe....if the smoke is proven to be chemical laden (house is surrounded by it) and more than just sugar cane (carbon) particulate....yip, sand fleas, dust storms, nasty checkpoints, goat and fowl smorgasbord for a few weeks it is.

1 hour ago, Soi Dog said:

This is a case where the narrative seems to be getting ahead of the facts.  Make no mistake - paraquat is bad stuff and probably should be banned.  However, the facts as presented here are not consistent with paraquat poisoning.  Paraquat’s Toxicity is primarily in the lungs where it can cause a slow and painful asphyxiation, which is why I think it should be banned.  It does not, however, cause a flesh eating disease.  Also, it is not surprising that they found high concentrations in the soil.  In the environment paraquat binds tightly to soil and does not degrade.  It also does not get into water.  So while I would love to see another nail in its coffin this case does not seem to be on point.

You should have been there to explain your wikipedia view of one aspect of paraquat poisoning to the monkeys that were the subjects of this research. As far as I know the result papers and conclusions are still available online. Life Science Research, Stock, UK was the testing establishment used for the testing. 

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

When Thailand will ban those chemicals that are illegal in the rest of the world?

Some days ago I read about it that they have to do their own research. Of course they will not rely on results of Western countries as EU, AUS and USA

4 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Some days ago I read about it that they have to do their own research. Of course they will not rely on results of Western countries as EU, AUS and USA

"Dumb farangs"!

3 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

Really? You think diet and diabetes and the other things you mention may somehow contribute to people being attacked by a flesh eating bacteria?

According to: https://theconversation.com/explainer-what-causes-necrotising-fasciitis-the-flesh-eating-bug-49369

Patient factors associated with infection include impaired immunity, obesity and chronic diseases such as diabetes.

So, it appears that his mentioning those factors is quite applicable.

2 hours ago, masuk said:

When is the next training course for agricultural workers in the handling of pesticides and herbicides?

It cannot be assumed that the reading and mathematical skills are there to mix solutions correctly and to use them safely.

I know this sounds condescending, but it is step one in handling such toxic materials.

:shock1::shock1:

Ever tried to explain things like this to a local ?
Try it and get a laugh about it...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This diagnosis of the cause of the disease is highly suspect. 

How is it contracted?

As with many infectious diseases, three factors interact to produce an infection: factors related to the bacteria; factors related to the patient; and factors relating to the environment that brings them together – in this case, the nature of the injury. Patient factors associated with infection include impaired immunity, obesity and chronic diseases such as diabetes. Many patients report a preceding breach in the skin, through things such as surgery, accidental wounds, or intravenous drug use. 

http://theconversation.com/explainer-what-causes-necrotising-fasciitis-the-flesh-eating-bug-49369

That maybe if you are using protective equip(which they dont) the open lesions form the burns by pass  all other requirements to contact these problems. And the how is it contracted in America or the EU or ?????

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

She added that her team had found that farmers often used concentrations of the chemical that were four to eight times greater than what was recommended on labels. 

These morons must think it's like adding sugar to their Thai tea. If a tablespoon tastes good, then adding a whole cup-ful must be even better. :sick:

Just hope the veggies in your local supermarket aren't coming from these farmers. And hope is really all you can do, because the government sure as heck isn't doing anything to prevent this kind of pesticide misuse/abuse or anything about the tainted produce that is harvested.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, sambum said:

Easy to give advice when you don't live there, but it certainly doesn't sound too healthy - if you don't have pressing reasons to stay, personally, I would "get outta town" for a while! 

In Chiang Mai, the surrounding mountains have all but disappeared in the smoke, and the East of the city has also gone in a thick haze.

A large number of folk are now wearing masks with carbon filters, as it is fairly certain that the insecticides used in the previous season are coming down on us.   

The govt should advertise that the air quality at present is not safe and stop encouraging tourists to visit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Here is an example about the procedure and measures to expect:

06.01.2015 - Thailand - Asbestos was banned in Germany in 1993 because of health hazards, in 2005 throughout the European Union. In Thailand, however, it is denied that asbestos is dangerous. The cabinet rejected a ban request.

Yes - you have right:

and they import it mainly from Russia.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/asbestos.asp

Also interesting to see that its not yet banned in USA and we know the Thai/US releation which may play a role...

http://asbestosglobal.org/asbestos-bans/

6 hours ago, wvavin said:

Even if the ban is at national level but who cares? Anybody can just do anything they like anywhere in their villages.

apart from vaping electronic gigs  very dangerous things  i dropped one on my foot . 

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

These morons must think it's like adding sugar to their Thai tea. If a tablespoon tastes good, then adding a whole cup-ful must be even better. :sick:

Just hope the veggies in your local supermarket aren't coming from these farmers. And hope is really all you can do, because the government sure as heck isn't doing anything to prevent this kind of pesticide misuse/abuse or anything about the tainted produce that is harvested.

Usually the most sprayed pesticide veggies are being sold in the high end Supermarkets. There is no escape only if u got a garden.

31 minutes ago, masuk said:

In Chiang Mai, the surrounding mountains have all but disappeared in the smoke, and the East of the city has also gone in a thick haze.

A large number of folk are now wearing masks with carbon filters, as it is fairly certain that the insecticides used in the previous season are coming down on us.   

The govt should advertise that the air quality at present is not safe and stop encouraging tourists to visit.

"stop encouraging tourists to visit." :cheesy: (Little man from TAT!)

At Naresuan University last month, talk among the postgrad students was about this researcher and how she was receiving intimidating threats from industry in response to her work - she is brave to publish. What is most worrying is that paraquat is found in water samples when it should be adsorbed and deactivated by soil.

Paraquat is banned in the EU, including UK, although it is produced by a UK factory for export.  It  is highly toxic, and although there is no evidence that it might relate to necrotising fasciitis, one reason it has been banned is the likely relationship between its use and the incidence of Parkinson's disease. A structurally very similar molecule was responsible for sudden irreversible Parkinson's in some Californian designer drug users in the 1980s.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

When Thailand will ban those chemicals that are illegal in the rest of the world?

It's not illegal in the US according to the NY Times in 2017:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/business/paraquat-weed-killer-pesticide.html

Which is manufacturer by Syngenta, a pesticide giant based in Switzerland.

Edited by Air Smiles

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This diagnosis of the cause of the disease is highly suspect.

To be fair, your understanding of the article is also highly suspect:

Although our findings cannot yet confirm the link between the disease and Paraquat, we have found this a cause for concern,” Puangrat said.

An exposure to Paraquat can cause burns, wounds and blisters

Yes, that's right "An exposure to Paraquat can cause burns, wounds and blisters. "

From your quote about how the disease gets started:

Many patients report a preceding breach in the skin, through things such as surgery, accidental wounds, or intravenous drug use. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Thais use to make their own insect repellent out of chillies and garlic.  Also if you have no flowering plants you have no lady bugs.  Lady bugs eat pests.  All are preferable to paraquat. 

Paraquat  is a herbicide not a pesticide. It kills plants.

• Thanks 2

Udon Thani was a big holding area in Thailand for the fore-runner of 'round-up'. Nong Bua Lamphu is just up the road from the city. I've spoken to people who tell me the chemical (used by US to spray crops in VN and Laos) was stored in small buildings all over the place.

I doubt that there is any paperwork regarding the removal of the chemical; it was probably just tipped away and the drums burnt out.

Edited by owl sees all

Maybe just maybe as the idiot that I am that I might think that the Paraquat cases burns, blisters and wounds plus the breakdown of the human immune system that there could be a link to many different types of infections that can enter the body by any means and because the human immune system is weakened by this chemical Paraquat that the body cannot fight it so if you use Paraquat and get blisters, burns or wounds and the flesh eating bacteria enters your body through one of the said wounds, how is the human immune system going to fight it. Is there not a link?

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Udon Thani was a big holding area in Thailand for the fore-runner of 'round-up'. Nong Bua Lamphu is just up the road from the city. I've spoken to people who tell me the chemical (used by US to spray crops in VN and Laos) was stored in small buildings all over the place.

I doubt that there is any paperwork regarding the removal of the chemical; it was probably just tipped away and the drums burnt out.

Roundup and paraquat/gramoxobe are two totally different chemicals and used in different applications. One kills plants on contact and the other stops chlorophyll production and the plant sure over time. I use roundup/glysophate quite often. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

No trouble understanding English...and I'm not asking forgiveness. The article stated that they were investigating Paraquat as a possible link to cases of death caused by flesh eating disease, and your comment was made in the thread following the article so I assumed you were talking about something related to this article.

Please explain why it was wrong of me to assume that?   

Don't "assume" -- read and comprehend what he actually said. 

It's so amazingly stupid to spread billions of gallons of toxic/poisonous agricultural chemicals on the earth for 70-plus decades -- and then wonder why the earth and it's animals and plants are dying off. Oh well.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are a couple of reasons that Paraquat (and other herbicides like Gramoxone) are used in third world countries.

Ease of use - just spray -no more laborious chipping, slashing of unwanted plants.

Price - compared with labour to manually remove weeds

Lack of knowledge of how dangerous these chemicals are to the immediate environment and the environment downstream or downwind and how it continues in the food chain.

The belief if the neighbour does it it must be okay

The free gifts that are given away when a bottle is bought.

Education  & Intelligence is what is required but too many companies stand to lose income if it is taken off the market.

From Cornell University "Paraquat is exceedingly toxic to humans. Many cases of illness and/or death have been reported ".
Paraquat has been banned in EU since 2007 and is restricted use in USA, "for use by licensed applicators only."
Big Pharma of course does not care and dumps its killer chemicals everywhere

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

It's so amazingly stupid to spread billions of gallons of toxic/poisonous agricultural chemicals on the earth for 70-plus decades -- and then wonder why the earth and it's animals and plants are dying off. Oh well.

700 years?  Where do you get that number from? 

Do you know how the chemicals break down after use?  Didn't think so.