Trump praises Chinese president extending tenure 'for life'

Jonathan Fairfield

Trump praises Chinese president extending tenure 'for life'

2018-03-04T015041Z_1_LYNXNPEE23018_RTROPTP_3_USA-TRUMP.JPG

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump praised Chinese President Xi Jinping Saturday after the ruling Communist party announced it was eliminating the two-term limit for the presidency, paving the way for Xi to serve indefinitely, according to audio aired by CNN.

"He's now president for life, president for life. And he's great," Trump said, according to audio of excerpts of Trump's remarks at a closed-door fundraiser in Florida aired by CNN. "And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll have to give that a shot someday," Trump said to cheers and applause from supporters.

U.S. presidents by tradition served a maximum of two four-year terms until President Franklin Roosevelt was elected a record four times starting in 1932. An amendment to the U.S. Constitution approved in 1951 limits presidents to two terms in office.

China’s annual parliament gathering kicks off on Monday as Xi presses ahead with efforts to ward off financial risks without undermining the economy. The Communist party announced on Feb 25 the end of the two-term limit for the president - and the parliament is expected to ratify the move.

During the remarks, Trump praised Xi as "a great gentleman" and added: "He's the most powerful (Chinese) president in a hundred years." Trump said Xi had treated him "tremendously well" during his visit in November.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment late Saturday.

Trump has often praised Xi, but in January Trump told Reuters the United States was considering a big "fine" as part of a probe into China’s alleged theft of intellectual property. He has been critical of China's trade policies.

Trump told The New York Times in December that because of North Korea he had "been soft on China because the only thing more important to me than trade is war."

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Nick Zieminski)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-04

Just now, Becker said:

I am begging the McD and soda diet to do what it's supposed to do and rid the planet of this abomination.

Trump on new diet following physical exam: report

President Trump is reportedly cutting back on junk food as part of a new diet.

The president, who frequently drinks Diet Coke and eats cheeseburgers, is taking recent doctor recommendations seriously, three people familiar with Trump's diet told Bloomberg News on Friday. 

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/376524-trump-on-new-diet-after-presidential-physical-report

• Sad 2

41 minutes ago, wijipa said:

Don't even think about it Trump.

No worries, whenever I read schlassach permanently discharged by this 'genius' I just cut it some slack, especially on here & out of habit ... you know with 'lost in translation' and all that ...

Wait a sec ... dammit! :wacko:  

Tiny Don has already launched his re-election campaign, in that he is putting together the committee. Earliest in history. Guess he is getting a taste of the power, and likes it. I have news for you Don. You will never in a million years be re-elected. You will be fortunate if you serve out your term, and America is not a wasteland by the end of your four years.

It all comes down to the economy. Personally I think his trade tariffs are a bad idea. Especially on foreign cars. Who on earth wants an American car, anyway? Could adversely effect the economy (who is going to be paying those tariffs? The very people he said he was representing. Bah humbug. Another lie. Is anyone surprised? Of course not. Trump never met a lobbyist he did not like, or could say no to.

In terms of China, it makes sense that Trump would praise a genocidal dictator, who runs organ harvesting industries, locks people up for writing stories, runs one of the most repressive regimes in the world, and wants leadership for life. Why bother with an election, when you do not have to? Just ask Little P.?

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Trump on new diet following physical exam: report President Trump is reportedly cutting back on junk food as part of a new diet. The president, who frequently drinks Diet Coke and eats cheeseburgers, is taking recent doctor recommendations seriously, three people familiar with Trump's diet told Bloomberg News on Friday.   

Let's send Trump daily deliveries of Twinkies and pork rings slathered in salt, oil and MSG.  

3 hours ago, Becker said:

I'm fervently hoping he doesn't listen to his doctor!

His doctor is paid to say what Trump wants him to say.  "Perfect health!"

It reminds me of a story I heard about the CIA, decades ago, they wanted to know the health of a Saudi King, so they had a CIA guy go in the basement of a restaurant, and tap into the drain of the men's bathroom.  Another agent was watching the table, and when the King went to take a pee, ....voila, a urine sample was garnered.

The Chinese have always had problems with their leaders.  It's never a good idea to have a 'president for life'  ....in any country, at any time.  There is no person anywhere who is not corruptible.  Making someone prez-for-life is guaranteed to make a person corrupt.  Human nature is flawed.  We make baboons look civil.

6 hours ago, Becker said:

I am begging the McD and soda diet to do what it's supposed to do and rid the planet of this abomination.

Include yourself in that same fate for that juvenile comment.

So many read and believe stories written based on heresay, rumor, confidencial sources and the like. Add a nickname or dirty word, and the mindless drivel flows from self appointed political experts.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Benmart said:

So many read and believe stories written based on heresay, rumor, confidencial sources and the like. Add a nickname or dirty word, and the mindless drivel flows from self appointed political experts.

What are you on about?

• Thanks 1

Trump will be allowed to do what he wants as a "president". All he has to do is let murderous people to still be allowed to buy any guns they want. There's enough red blood still pumping around the north american content to keep this insanity going!

I really do not understand the "irrevocable harm" claims made by many. Trump is the President. Congress does the harm. Yes, he is going a long ways toward making Carter look like a decent President, something I never thought I would see in my lifetime. But, so far, his actions are at the margins and easily reversed. I do think that he believed he could make a difference. Sadly, he does not know how to go about it.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I really do not understand the "irrevocable harm" claims made by many. Trump is the President. Congress does the harm. Yes, he is going a long ways toward making Carter look like a decent President, something I never thought I would see in my lifetime. But, so far, his actions are at the margins and easily reversed. I do think that he believed he could make a difference. Sadly, he does not know how to go about it.

I like Carter.  He is a good man and was a good president.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benmart said:

Thank you Benmart for writing what you did. Er...hello people; President Trump's comments were merely tongue in cheek - you do realise that right???

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, marginline said:

Thank you Benmart for writing what you did. Er...hello people; President Trump's comments were merely tongue in cheek - you do realise that right???

You would actually have a much better case if Trump hadn't said stuff like this:

"During the remarks, Trump praised Xi as "a great gentleman" and added: "He's the most powerful (Chinese) president in a hundred years." Trump said Xi had treated him "tremendously well" during his visit in November.

That kind of undercuts the likelihood Trump was being ironic.

• Thanks 2

Nobody hates Trump more than I do, but I try not to let my emotions cloud my rason.

Trump was Joking!

an inappropriate joke I will agree  but nonetheless a jock. In fact it might have being designed to give the pundit red meat to chew on and stop chewing at other issues that matter a hell of a lot more.

• Haha 1

"The president of the United States continues to heap praise on the world's most reviled rulers. It just so happens that Western governments have, for the past seven decades, mostly adhered to a system of the rule of law, which empowers institutions rather than individuals. Trump’s apparent preference is for a system in which one individual, presumably him, wields that power."

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/03/trump-xi-jinping-dictators/554810/

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Our troll president "trump" strikes again. 

The USA is not a leader anymore.

We've got a corrupt clown making light of and throwing support towards total totalitarian governments.

Shame on all Americans that still support this garbage mouthed president.

Which American government in the past 40 years hasn't thrown support, investment, industries and jobs to that totalitarian government? If anything, I think that trend may be slowing. Better to watch what's done, than watch what's said. Shame on all Americans that support the most polluted nation on earth with no free press and limited personal liberties for the sake of enriching the 1%.

• Thanks 1